4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2009 2:34 PM by Muskkk

What is Air?

oluc Level 1

Hello. Can anyone tell me what air is? lol, and not the air that you breath...

I have Flash CS4 and I am wondering if I need air at all for the project I am doing. I have been using just plain flash with AS3. But when I do the final export I need the flash to kind of "be the interface of the computer". Its for an educational exhibit.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: What is Air?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

adobe air is used to create an executable file that's installed on a users system.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What is Air?
            oluc Level 1

Thanks. What would be an example of this?

• 3. Re: What is Air?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

any app that needed to access files on the user's computer would be appropriate for air.

regular swfs have very limited access to the user's file system while air apps can read and write to the user's file system (with some restrictions).

i've created air apps that were distributed by companies to their sales force and that created a database on the employees computers and used that database to allow sales personnel to give quotes to the company customers using a uniform pricing structure.  the company could update their sales force prices uniformly when sales personnel checked into the company website.

that was an improvement over their previous faxed price updates that relied on sales personnel receiving and using the latest prices and had no easy way for the company to ensure everyone was using the latest prices without manually checking.

• 4. Re: What is Air?
                Muskkk

Adobe AIR is a cross-operating system runtime that lets you combine HTML, Ajax, Adobe Flash®, and Flex technologies to deploy rich Internet applications (RIAs) on the desktop. Adobe AIR also allows you to use familiar tools such as Adobe Dreamweaver® CS4, Flex® Builder™ 3, Flash CS4 Professional, or any text editor to build your applications and easily deliver a single application installer that works across operating systems.