12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 6:22 AM by mckunzhome

DVD jerks/stutters once burned to disc

mckunzhome Level 1

Hi

I am using Premiere Elements 7 - my computer is a core 2 duo - 3Ghz with 2 GB RAM

What I have done:

I have created a video - 90min long, it was filmed with a Panasonic HD camera, I have used PAL Full HD 1080i preset.

I first exported the edited movie (to create a master file) using MPEG as a PAL widescreen DVD and H.264 1920x1080i 25 as I need DVD and Blu-ray copies.

I then opened the exported "master file" and added the menu.

I then burned it to a directly DVD and the hard drive (then copied it to DVD)

The Problem:

When playing it back on a DVD player and TV + the computer the picture jerks/stutters with fast motion.

What I have tried:

1. Different burners: LG Blu-ray burner and Samsung DVD burner

2. Different DVD disc types

3. Burned the file to the hard drive first and then copied to a disc at 4x speed. (this helped a little)

4. Tried different burning software - Nero, Power2Go and with Premiere Elements

5. Tried creating (burning) DVD with both MPEG and m2t as the "master file"

6. Burned the disc with and without a menu

Where I think the problem is:

When I view the "master file" it plays perfectly, the MPEG file especially, the m2t has a very slight jerk.

Once I have created the disc, on the hard drive or a physical disc, this is where the problem starts.

It would seam that the problem is happening when I burn the disc and it is not the burner or the discs causing the problem as the results are the same if I burn to the hard drive or a disc.

Any advise on how to fix this would be much appreciated as I have to deliver 100 copies of the concert in 18 hours time.

I do not know what else to try!

Thank you

Michael

• 1. Re: DVD jerks/stutters once burned to disc
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Assuming the jerkiness isn't a problem with the disc itself (which can happen if you use cheap discs, like Memorex, or put labels on them, which can jam up your DVD player), it's most likely an interlacing problem.

I can't tell from your camcorder description what type of camcorder you're using (HD could mean hard drive or hi-def, and hi-def could mean HDV or AVCHD), but it is vital you use a project preset that matches your camcorder or you'll have problems. I'm also not clear which preset you're using, as there are a couple which are 1080i.

That said, I'm also not sure why you're exporting an MPEG and an H.264 BEFORE you create your DVD or BluRay disc.

If you're going to burn a BluRay, you should use the project itself as your output. You definitely do NOT want to export an H.264 from Premiere Elements and then import that MP4 into another project. Why not just burn your BluRay directly from your project?

You're also outputting an MPEG for, apparently, use in a standard definition project. That, too, could be contributing to an interlacing problem if you're then using that MPEG in a standard DV project to create your DVD. What you want to do, to create a standard DV project, is to export a DV-AVI from your project and then open a standard DV project and use that for your source file.

You're going in and out of MPEGs and MP4s is very likely why you're seeing all this stuttering.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DVD jerks/stutters once burned to disc
            mckunzhome Level 1

Hi, thanks for your reply and been willing to help.

The project was filmed in AVCHD.

I used the preset for PAL - AVCHD - Full HD 1080i 25

Time is my big problem right now, so some advise along these lines would be great.

I have gone to Share - Personal Computer - MPEG - PAL DVD Widescreen and saved the edited work to one file.

This file plays back without any problems.

I now want to take that MPEG file and add a menu and burn it to disc.

If I use the Preset PAL - DV - Widescreen 48HZ will this give me the interlacing problem you were referring to?

If so, please suggest which preset I should use or custom settings.

Thanks again,

Michael

• 3. Re: DVD jerks/stutters once burned to disc
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Per Steve's first comment, what brand of blank media are you using?

Are you testing on a computer via a DVD/BD software player, or are you testing on a set-top player hooked to a TV?

Note: for testing purposes only, I use DVD RW discs, and then play that in several different setups. These can be reused and saves making "coasters."

Most stuttering and hangs stem from the actual blank media used. Verbatim & Taiyo Yuden are about as good as it gets. Memorex, TDK, recent Ritek and all store brands, are about as bad as it gets. As an example, a spindle of 100 Memorex discs can contain blank media from 3-4 different manufacturers. One will burn fine, and then the next few will be garbage.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DVD jerks/stutters once burned to disc
                mckunzhome Level 1

Hi - Thanks for your help as well

I am using Verbatim discs.

The reason why I don't think it's the disc's is because when I save it as a folder or a file and play it back on the computer the jerking/stuttering is there, so all I am doing is copying a folder or file to the DVD disc that is already problomatic.

I am not doing anything with Blu-ray at the moment as the order is for 100 DVD discs, now in 15 hours time.

I am testing on both, it needs to work on the TV which been bigger shows up the problem more.

Thanks for advise on DVD RW, my coaster collection is quite big now.

I need to get a master burned ASAP, so like I said to Steve, I have an MPEG file that is playing perfectly, what preset settings should I use to when I add the menu?

Thanks again

Michael

under pressure

• 5. Re: DVD jerks/stutters once burned to disc
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I am using Verbatim discs.

That is about as good as it gets.

The reason why I don't think it's the disc's is because when I save it as a folder or a file and play it back on the computer the jerking/stuttering is there, so all I am doing is copying a folder or file to the DVD disc that is already problomatic.

With that info, I completely agree with you. If you are getting this problem from the VIDEO_TS VOB's, it is NOT a problem with the disc, but with the Transcoding of the material.

Now, you're starting with AVCHD in an appropriate AVCHD Project, but are down-rezing that HD Project to SD for burning to DVD. It is very likely that the down-rezing that is causing issues.

In PrPro, this procedure has caused problems, when done directly. Here is an ARTICLE linking to a tutorial by Jeff Bellune on going from HD down to SD and a DVD. It's written for PrPro CS4, but might have some ideas.

I'm looking for another article on down-rezing, and will post the link to it, once I locate it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: DVD jerks/stutters once burned to disc
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's that other ARTICLE (linked from within). Maybe something of use in that workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - PrPro has proved to not be the best route for the down-rezing, with Transcoding issues. I do not know how PrE 8 differs in that respect. For highest quality, others have found different workflows. Sorry that so much of my info is for PrPro and not PrE, but that is just where most of the work seems to be coming from as of now.

There is also a thread from not THAT long ago, where AT Romano worked with a poster to do HD (AVCHD, IIRC) to DVD. I'll go look for that thread, as I think the OP was pleased with the result and there might be some good info in it for you.

• 7. Re: DVD jerks/stutters once burned to disc
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, here is that THREAD. Pay special attention to the replies by ATR. I also think that he linked to similar discussion threads on other fora. I'd follow each of those, to gather info.

Hope that something helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: DVD jerks/stutters once burned to disc
                        mckunzhome Level 1

Hi Hunt

I had a good look at the forums.

I agree that the problem original could have be caused by the downsizing of the HD file to MPEG 2

But I have managed to successfully downsize the edit video to an MPEG 2 file, the problem is coming in taking that MPEG 2 file and making a DVD (VOB) out of it with a menu.

The problem is that the dancers seam to be vibrating when they move fast, it's the best way to describe it, the jerking has stopped. The background is fine.

I think this could be caused by an interlacing problem Steve mentioned earlier.

Any advise?

Thanks

Michael

under even more pressure

• 9. Re: DVD jerks/stutters once burned to disc

Michael, as I said in my very first post, the problem isn't that you're downsampling your video. The problem is that your workflow consists of exporting your project into formats that are causing interlacing issues.

The MPEG, for instance, that you're outputting from your project may look and play fine. But if you bring it into a DV project and it is interlaced with upper field first, when you create your DVD from it you will get a double-interlacing conflict, which means a jumpy and jittery playback.

Follow the workflow I recommended in my first post and ensure that your project settings match your input and you will be fine.

You do NOT want to output an MPEG from your AVCHD project and then put the MPEG into a Premiere Elements project. Use a DV-AVI instead.

• 10. Re: DVD jerks/stutters once burned to disc
                            mckunzhome Level 1

Hi Steve

You are correct.

So for the record, anyone else having this problem, this is what worked for me.

Did the edit in AVCHD

Export to DVD MPEG file (in my case widescreen)

Open MPEG and export to DV AVI file

Use DV AVI file to create DVD with menu

I tried skipping the making of the MPEG file and going directly from the AVCHD edit to export as DV AVI, but this also gave me the shimmer on the movement.

Thank you for all your help.

I have a long night ahead of me, now 8:45pm - 12 hours to delivery of 100 discs.

Cheers

Michael

• 11. Re: DVD jerks/stutters once burned to disc

I'm still not sure why you're adding the extra step of creating an MPEG just to create an AVI from it -- but if it works for you, that's all that matters, I guess.

• 12. Re: DVD jerks/stutters once burned to disc
                                mckunzhome Level 1

Hi Steve

The reason is that when I tried to create a DV AVI file from the edited video with the m2t files from the camera, it also gave me a jerky video. Creating the MPEG first did not. Go figure, but now that the pressure is off (made the deadline   ) I will look further at it and if I find a better solution I will post it here.

Thanks to you and Hunt again for all your assistance.

Till later

Michael