8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2009 7:07 AM by A.T. Romano

prem elements 8 greyed out clips in the media bin

peewit2

Hi does anyone else have any experience of clips in the media bin greying out? It happens when you pass the cursor over them or scroll down the clips bin...! if you click 'hide video' then re click it they come back in full glorious colour only to grey out again when the cursor passes over them. I've tried reinstalling to no effect. Can anyone help please please please? please see the attahed jpeg for more detail. all the very best Dave.

• 1. Re: prem elements 8 greyed out clips in the media bin
          A.T. Romano Level 7

For the thumbnails that are graying out on you, are they the same ones every time or does it vary as to thumbnail and amount of thumbnails that gray out at one time?

If it is the same ones, have you tried right clicking the thumbnail(s) and selecting Update Thumbnail in order to get a more permanent fix to the issue?

These look like .mts (thumbnails for high definition video, maybe HDV). How many of them do you have in the Premiere Elements 8 Organizer? And, how much available RAM does your computer have?

ATR

• 2. Re: prem elements 8 greyed out clips in the media bin
            peewit2 Level 1

Hi, thanks for replying. It is all the clips and they do it consistently...ie every time i pass the cursor over them. I've tried right clicking and then 'update' to no effect. They are indeed .mts files but this doesn't make any difference either as it does this regardless of file tye. My PC has 8GB of RAM.

• 3. Re: prem elements 8 greyed out clips in the media bin
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I say in my Basic Training tutorials on the Muvipix site (you can link to them from the FAQs to the right of this forum), it's very common to mistake the Media/Organize panel for your Project media panel -- and that can lead to some misunderstandings.

The screen cap you posted is of the Media/Organize panel. This panel does NOT represent the video that is in your project. It is only a limited version of the Organizer program. And getting thumbnails to appear in the Organizer is a whole other challenge.

But, if you want to see the clips that have been important into your project and are available to use in your movie, you want to click on the Project button to open the Project media panel.

This button is under the Organize tab in version 8 and is under the Edit tab in previous versions of the program.

• 4. Re: prem elements 8 greyed out clips in the media bin
                A.T. Romano Level 7

I am assuming that your operating system is 64 bit with that 8 GB RAM installed.

Premiere Elements 8 is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode  of the 64 bit operating system. As such, typically it has the RAM as well as addressable memory limitations of the 32 bit situation. Although Premiere Pro CS4 (also a 32 bit application) is reported to be "optimized" for 64 bit (which I believe is targeted at addressable memory), Premiere Elements is not. So, I would suggest ruling in or out that your issue is related to the computer's level of available RAM. And again, we need to know just how many of the .mts thumbnails that you have in the Premiere Elements 8 Organizer when this issue exists.

Do you run Premiere Elements 8 with the Background Rendering ON or OFF. If ON, try running it with it OFF, rendering the Timeline by your command rather than automatically with this feature. Is your computer optimized and defragment frequently?

If I recall correctly, there were issues (no video image in thumbnail) with the display of .mts video thumbnails in Premiere Elements 7 Organizer. I would need to dust off my recollection of that and look into the Premiere Elements 8 side of that matter. So far, with a limited amount of .mts thumbnails in the Premiere Elements 8 Organizer, I have not run into problems regarding their display.

ATR

• 5. Re: prem elements 8 greyed out clips in the media bin
                  peewit2 Level 1

Hi Steve and ATR, thanks for that. I have indeed been viewing the clips from within the 'project' bin. Its just a bit irritating to find the clips greyed out in the 'media' bin as they havent always been like that...there is no discernable reason for the chage either. Yes my system is 64 bit. I was having trouble with

Prem Ele 7 and was advised by Adobe to go to 8 to solve these 64 bit issues. I have been running with 'background rendering' turned off. cheers Dave.

• 6. Re: prem elements 8 greyed out clips in the media bin
                    peewit2 Level 1

Sorry forgot to add that the problem occurs regardless of numbers of clips in the bin. And yes i defragment regularly and the machine works well in all other respects. Dave

• 7. Re: prem elements 8 greyed out clips in the media bin
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

peewit2

I returned to comment on SG's introduction of the Project Media view into what appeared to be a Premiere Elements 8 Organizer thumbnail issue.

So, I will throw in those remarks in spite of what appears to be your confirmation that your issue relates to the Premiere Elements 8 Organizer.

When you open a new project.prel, it opens in the Organize interface, displaying all the files that are already in the that Organizer. If you click on Project Tab in the row below the Organize Tab to bring up the Project Media view, there is NOTHING in it. When you introduce NEW media into Premiere Elements 8 program, the Premiere Elements 8 Organizer as well as that project's Project Media view will be populated with the new media. (Also, if you just drag media from the Premiere Elements 8 Organizer to the Timeline, the Project Media view will be populated with the corresponding thumbnails.) So, bottom line, are we talking

a. scrolling through media already in the Premiere Elements 8 Organizer to pick one file to drag to the Timeline

or

b. looking through the list of files in the Project Media view, to pick one file to drag to the Timeline.

and getting grayed out thumbnails in a, b, or both?

Besides, still wanting to know just how many .mts files are populating that Premiere Elements Organizer and what the specific amount of available RAM is, I would ask this further question. Are you seeing any of this issue in the Premiere Elements Project Media view? I sounds like you are not.

ATR

• 8. Re: prem elements 8 greyed out clips in the media bin
                        peewit2 Level 1

Hi AT, i can confirm that in 'project' view there are no problems. The issue only arises when i'm trying to view or drag and drop to the timeline from the 'media' bin. Currently there are about 30 clips in the bin. Cheers Dave