20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2009 10:32 AM by lestra7

Is there a way to equal volume?

zjimbo Level 1

I have imported seven projects together into one project, with a large number of clips in each project in CS4. These were recorded at different times with different sound levels. Even the clips are not the same volume level throughout the individual projects. The recorded material is vocal only. I used a Shure wireless and a Countryman mic if that matters. I tried the "Normalize max peak" in Audio gain...But it flattened out the vocal to much. I have been opening Audio gain... on each clip and setting the sound levels that way. It is a 75 minute video in HHD. Needless to say I have hundreds of clips.

My question is this: Is there an easier way to equal the volume between clips in the different projects without using Audio gain...on each clip?

Thanks Jim

• 1. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

CS4 added the Track Normalization for the Master, but it sounds like you have tried that and were not satisfied with the results.

Given that, what I would do would be to Export the Audio Track, and work on it in Audition, or Soundbooth, and then Import that altered file back into the Project. Then, just Mute the camera Audio, using that new combined and adjusted file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
            zjimbo Level 1

Ok, no magic buttom,: I do wish I had used a compressor on the orgional recording and paid a little better attention to my settings. Thanks

• 3. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Soundbooth has kind of a "magic button". Under the Tasks pane, there is a Volume Correction task that allows you to drop in multiple sound files, and then Soundbooth will analyze them and match the volume between them all. You can either use a peak volume or an average volume that you specify, or you can use one of the selected files as the "yardstick". As far as nearly effortless, magic button approaches go, it's done a decent job in my experience. Check out the Soundbooth help file entry about Match Volume for more information. You'll still have to send your audio from PPro into SB, but this might save you lots of time.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

That's good to know. I use Audition, and have only done the original beta-testing with SB. Didn't see that "magic button," so I shelved it and just kept with Audition. Maybe Soundbooth has grown up, or I did not do my due diligence when in the beta?

Thanks, once more, you have taught me something - WINE-THIRTY!!!!

Hunt

• 5. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                  zjimbo Level 1

And I though I knew everything.....Thanks Colin...

2 bad I don't have SB...Just CS$

I may want to invest in it.

I hope others see this and learn before they do as much work as I did or am going to have to do without SB.

Thanks Again

Jim

• 6. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Ah, bummer. Well, you know what they say about good intentions...

I'm sure you're done with the process, but I suddenly recalled a free tool I found some time ago that does a pretty amazing job of equalizing the volume level within a file, and would probably get a whole batch of files close enough for government's sake: it's called The Levelator. Talk about magic button! It combines a normalizer, a compressor and a limiter, and all you have to do is drag your WAV/AIFF files on top of it, and a batch of automagically corrected files pops out the other side. Give it a try--I've found some occasional use for it.

• 7. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

If you have PrPro CS4, you should have Soundbooth. You might not have installed it, but it should be bundled, just like Encore. Check your installation disc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Bill,

I don't believe that's the case. I think Soundbooth is included only with the suite, or as a standalone purchase. All that is bundled with Premiere is Encore and OnLocation.

• 9. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, you are probably correct. Having only had various "suites," I had not considered that.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                            jdmack01 Level 1

Premiere has an audio compressor, but they call the effect "Dynamic Preset."  Normalize each clip to begin with.  Then add the effect to your audio clip, and in the effect settings, check the "compressor" box.  Try a setting of Threshold=-14.00 and Ratio=6.00.  Adjust indiviual clip volumes if needed.  Not a magic button, but works well without having to go to a different program.

J. D.

• 11. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                              lestra7 Level 1

Try this,

Select all clips on timeline

apply Normalize all peaks, under right click

go to Audio Mixer and insert compressor/limiter into audio channel for that timeline

adjust

• 12. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                                Curt Wrigley Level 4

Heres a tutorial some guy did on the dynanics compressor built into PPRO.

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/media/ppro2_dynamics_tut.wmv

• 13. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Boy, "some guy," does nice tutorials.

Thanks,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                                    lestra7 Level 1

Also you always must have Limiter inserted last in chain in master channel, with MAX OUT set to -0.1 db to avoid clipping, specially if there are several audio tracks overlay.

You can use Limiter to maximize loudnes too.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                                      zjimbo Level 1

I have been silent reading and doing the things I've read. YEAAAAAAAA IT WORKED.

I did the things I was told and all my audio is set. I don't want to single anyone person for helping the most, I just hate that, because I appreciate all the help and advice. It was all good and I learned a lot, even how to extract my audio. But in the end, and to let other readers know what worked, I have to give credit to lesta7.

The green meter goes to -6 and the yellow will occasionally bounce up to 0. The volume stays fairly constant all along the TL except where the clips were recorded really low. It seemed to bring them up or at least bring the others down to match. Either way I am very thankful to ALL you guys for all the help.

If you are reading this and apply this information to your project, you will need to make a few volume adjustments on some clips. In some cases where I had lowered the volume on certain clips to 0, it brought the volume up. I had to go back and reset them. On some short clips where I intentionally wanted the volume to be extra loud the changes set it down. I had to go in and bring these clips up. On some clips recorded too loud I had to pull the clip's volume down a couple of db's to smooth it out. But that was it. I do not mind at all doing that, because all the spiked words are compressed and that is what I was really after.

Thanks again and I'm sure I will be back. I still need to get Encore to Recognize my Destination Player. But that will come in time. I posted about that earlier and I will need to learn about all that technical stuff to get it going.

In case I don't get back to you, I pray you all have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS.

zjimbo

• 16. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                                        lestra7 Level 1

I am glad to be of help for you.

• 17. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                                          zjimbo Level 1

Duh..I'm back.

I just figured out I could select a block of clips and set the volume on them instead of doing it one clip at a time.

I also want to say thanks for the Dynamics video. It was great to see I had some control over my audio.

I will keep this post alive so if and when I learn something new I can update it.

I know this information will help a lot of newbes like me.

• 18. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                                            lestra7 Level 1

Hey zjimbo I sugest you to use EQ prior to compressor if you want nice smooth sound.First to eliminate resonances and than to get overal Tonal Balance.Sound without tonal balance is like video without white balance and enough contrast.

You can find many tutorials on the net.Audio is important just like video.

Good luck

• 19. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

That you got things going is more than enough. Glad that you could get help from the forum. That is what it is for and what it seems to do best.

BTW - I tried to use my Adobe points to upgrade a recent flight to Washington, and United Airlines wouldn't take 'em! Guess they're good for something though. Maybe Lesta7 will have more luck using them, than I have...

And, a very Merry Christmas to you and yours too!

Hunt

• 20. Re: Is there a way to equal volume?
                                                lestra7 Level 1

verry funny