10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 2:26 AM by OGUL BALCI

PE7 / Edit / Transitions question!

OGUL BALCI Level 1

Hi Steve and hi all!

Sceneline mode (about 30 short clips)

Edit

Transitions (all different types of transitions)

How can I adjust all the transitions like

Duration : 5 sec

Alignment : center at cut

or should I adjust all manually???

Thanks in advance!           

• 1. Re: PE7 / Edit / Transitions question!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For Transition Durations, this can be set in Edit>Preferences>General. The 3rd & 4th lines down are Video Transition Default Duration, and Audio Transition Default Duration. The Video Transition Duration is set in Frames, so you will need to do the math to get the time Duration, based on your Project's FPS Frame Rate. The Audio is in Sec.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE7 / Edit / Transitions question!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For the placement of the Transition, if you have stills, or Video with adequate Handles, the Transitions will Center on Cut. Without adequate Handles, you will be limited.

Here's a bit of info on Handles:

Handles_01.jpg

Handles are an important concept. Back in the days of A-B Roll editing, or in the film days, it was an easier concept to grasp, because you could see the necessary overlap. In a full-linear editing setup, the Handles are rather "hidden," but are still necessary to provide Frames to allow for Transitions.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE7 / Edit / Transitions question!
              OGUL BALCI Level 1

Thank you for your reply!

I solved the duration matter, but I have to work with "Handles". If can't solve, I'll ask again!

Thanks a lot!

• 4. Re: PE7 / Edit / Transitions question!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another graphical display of Handles:

Handles_02.jpg

As I stated, the concept is pretty abstract, when one first approaches it. However, as soon as the "light goes on," it'll become very simple. It's getting one's head around Handles in the first place, that takes some time and thought.

Also, I saw that you were in Sceneline View Mode. I have to admit that I never use that, and do all of my work in Timeline View Mode. I do not know how the two Modes might differ, as far as mechanics go. Others can probably give you tips on Sceneline Mode.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE7 / Edit / Transitions question!
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I also discuss using transition properties, setting duration and even how to create head and tail material (handles) for your transitions in my free Basic Training tutorial series. You can link to it from the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 6. Re: PE7 / Edit / Transitions question!
                    OGUL BALCI Level 1

Thank you Hunt,

I'll work with Timeline View Mode and try to understand throughly what you are explaining here!

I don't why, your nick evoked in me to open a bottle of Zinfandel while studying this Handles subject!

Bon appetit:)

• 7. Re: PE7 / Edit / Transitions question!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I find it easier to digest abstract concepts with a glass of Zin! That is one varietal, where I love almost every iteration from light and spicy up to some of the Napa and Central Coast "fruit-bombs." I probably consume more Zin, than any other red varietal. I am sad that so many of my Euro/UK friends do not get to experience this wine. First, the tariffs are very stiff on US wines, and then the distribution is limited to just lower end Cabs and Merlots - never any good Zins. I try to pick up a few cases of .375 btls, of say the Biale Black Chicken, and then sneak a few bottles to them. Just a great grape, and with so many well-done examples out there.

Good luck, and maybe I'll declare "wine-thirty" early today!

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE7 / Edit / Transitions question!
                        OGUL BALCI Level 1

You are very very lucky that you live there!

It should be like watching or better having a role in the "Sideways" movie!

I had the chance to meet with a Zin when my niece brought me as a gift! ! She bought it from the duty free on the airport.

Its taste still in my tongue!

Thanks again for the infos about PE7 & Zin:)

• 9. Re: PE7 / Edit / Transitions question!
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Staying on the Zin topic, until Steve shuts me up... you might want to look for some of the Italian Primativo wines, especially from some of the newer producers. Many feel that the Zinfandel and the Primativo are either the same, or first cousins. Most of the Zin was brought to the US by Italian immigrants, who planted it widely in California. For many years, up to Prohibition, they made some rather rustic wines from the grapes, but the vines grew well and flourished. Prohibition hit, and most wine production suffered. When thing got sorted out, many of the remaining commercial operations began concentrating on the Bordeaux varietals, and Zin vines were left in little corners of vineyards, that had been replanted to the Cabs and Merlots. Time passed, and a few winemakers started looking at those ancient vines. A few began to experiment with the grape, and over a few decades, began producing some excellent wines, though in very small quantities. These were much more lush and finished, that the rustic Zins of years before. A small cult sprang up around the wines, and more of the old vine properties were acquired, and harvested once more. Sutter Home came up with the idea of doing a blush wine from the grape, and White Zinfandel was born. This was a major hit with the mass market and more Zin was planted. Still, the folk working with "red" Zin, expanded, and fairly recently, Zinfandel was being planted again, and not just to satisfy the need for White Zinfandel. Now, winemakers, like Robert Biale, Larry Turley, Paul Draper, Rosenblum and many others work extensively with the grape. Luckily, many of those ancient vines were saved, as we winos benefit greatly.

In Italy, there was not a break in the timeline, as there was in the US. However, many of the newer, younger winemakers began working with some of the older grape varietals, but doing things differently. The same can be said for the wines from Barolo, and other regions. Some of the newer Primativos are much more akin to the US Zins, than to the older-style, rustic, highly tannic Primativos of only 25 years ago. It's production is extremely tiny, compared to Nebbiolo and Sangiovese, but there is some activity and some great wines being done now. I predict that there will be an increase, just as we saw with the Super Tuscans 20 years ago. Now, they are commanding the prices of the finest Barolos and Barbarescos.

Personally, I find that Europe/UK has so many great examples of Cabs, Pinot Noirs, Chardonnays and Merlots, that missing out on the US versions is not the end of the world, though some of the newer Pinot Noirs form the Santa Barbara, Monterey and Central Coast appelations are well worth the hunt to find them. However, Zins are still unique, and it's a shame that there cannot be more exposure for these. That's why I risk fines by sneaking in a few half-bottles for my friends - no one should have to live without Zins!

Hunt

PS - since I was also talking about Italian wines, maybe Steve Grisetti won't get too mad at me. Here's hoping!

• 10. Re: PE7 / Edit / Transitions question!
                            OGUL BALCI Level 1

Until I taste Zin, Boutari from Greece was my favorite! I had the chance to drink it at Rhodes Island.

I have some plans for the future like to go to Italy to Verona to watch Aida opera at Arena di Verona!

So, with this oppotunity, following your precious advices, this can be also a wine tour in Italy! Why not?

Recently I read on the papers, Californian wines won over Bordeaux!

I completely agree with you "no one should have to live without Zins"

but if Zin is not always available, a good wine always make the life happier!

It was nice to meet here an expert and a connoiseur like you!

Enchanté!