2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 6:26 AM by the_wine_snob

time coding for HD projects??

wileywolf

I amdimt I am a newbie.....    I am just starting to use/understand  premiere essentials 7/8  and am considering now upgrading to a complete HD camera pkge for my video needs maybe a (canon prosumer model???).  One of the problems I am having is with Time Coding for HD. Most prosumer HD cameras I am seeing , do not have automatic Time Code available.   I of course want to be able to load my clips into essentials easily with the time codes attached and used for loading/editing each clip.  Is there a solution OR a work-around for this common situation OR am I doomed to DVD format forever.  Is there some way to add Time Code manually, maybe some software or Hardware solution. Of course I would prefer not having to attack each clip individually.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

• 1. Re: time coding for HD projects??
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not clear, when you say "HD", if you're referring to hi-def or hard drive camcorders.

But, that said, all DV camcorders -- miniDV, HDV and AVCHD -- include timecode, although Premiere Elements has few little timecode-related capabilities.

What is it you're trying to do with your timecode? There may be a utility that can help you.

• 2. Re: time coding for HD projects??
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you are looking to Capture your footage and have it broken into discrete files, based on the Timecode, i.e. Scene Detect. Is this correct? To restate, you wish to Capture the Audio & Video from the camera's tape into separate files, rather than one large file.

PrE will do Scene Detect. However, a better Capture Utility, HDVSplit, will do much more. For HD (High Def) Capture, it is the Capture utility, that many feel should have been in both PrE and PrPro. It is also free.

For SD (Standard Definition) Capture, SceneAlyzer Live (shareware, not freeware) is the recommended Capture utility. Again, many feel that this is what the Capture module in PrE and PrPro should have been.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt