7 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2014 10:31 AM by sandblasta

How do I round some corners of a shape and leave other corners unrounded ?

WTDedula Level 1

Hello All;

Could someone tell me how to round some corners of a illustration and leave some corners unrounded ? If I use Effect - Stylize - Round Corners, it works beautifully but it rounds all corners, even the ones I don't want rounded. See attached illustration. I do not want the four corners emclosed in the circle rounded.

Anyone know how to do this (easily, I hope) ?

Thanks.

Tim

• 1. Re: How do I round some corners of a shape and leave other corners unrounded ?
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It can be done but you have to duplicate the shapes then apply the rounded corners expand the appearance go back to the original  delete the pths of the non rounded corner version, except for the path with the corners you want to retain cut that into two on the sloping path then shorten the ends so the round corners you want to retain are not effected by the next two steps the cornered path that is inside the rounded corner is fused by using the unite on the pathfinder and the one outsie is done with a intersect on the pathfinder.

I might have this stated a little on the confusing side but if I do not straighten it someone else will and perhaps there is an easier way.

Screen shot 2009-12-13 at 6.57.13 PM.png

• 2. Re: How do I round some corners of a shape and leave other corners unrounded ?
            Tim Dunbar

Tim,

That's a good one. What you can do is:

Make two rounded rectangles with the dimensions you require, and stack them on top of each other.

Go to the align palette and click the icon that centers the objects vertically.

From your attached illustration, it seems you want to avoid rounding the line segment in the middle top and bottom of each rectangle, so try this:

With the pen P tool, put the point of the pen on the first of (4)four anchor points you are going to add and click.

Now do the same thing for the other three anchor points.

You have now added two anchor points to each rounded rectangle

With the Direct Selection A tool, Shift/click on both of the furthest right anchor points you just created, and hold shift while clicking the corner radiuses that connect with those points on the right side of the illustration. You should have a total of six points highlighted altogether.

Now with your keyboard cursor controls, click the arrow down key as many times as you need to get the angle of the line segment that you were trying not to round.

If there is another way to do it, I'd like to know, but that should work. The corner rediuses you've moved change somewhat, you can adjust them if need be.

Using the grid and snap to point in the View section of the menu bar will help you align the added anchor points nicely.

Sounds like a lot, but I recreated your drawing the way you wanted in about 30 seconds.

Hope this helps.

Tim Dunbar

• 3. Re: How do I round some corners of a shape and leave other corners unrounded ?
              WTDedula Level 1

Thanks, all;

When I received the first response, I began trying things and was able to get this to work by creating a series of shapes (two rounded rectangles and one not rounded and then when done, I was able to add my selections together in pathfinder.

It seemed to work but it seemed to be impossible yo make the dimensions of the box larger by selecting selected points with the direct selection tool so I guess I need to get the dimensions right the first time.

Does anyone know if the plug-in "round any corner" works with Illustrator CS3 ? I tried it and it doesn't give me an error but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I have another question. I need to fill this shape with a .jpg graphic. I know I've done this before a long time ago but can't seem to remember how to do this today. Or maybe this won't work when you add shapes together like I did. Is this sort of thing easier done in Photoshop CS3 and if so, how ?

Tim

• 4. Re: How do I round some corners of a shape and leave other corners unrounded ?
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I believe there is something like a better handle someone else will have to come about on this one.

BTW if you use the lasso tool to select just he side and corners you want to expand that will work using the direct select tool.

The part you want to stay put simply do not select.

With the direct select tool make certain you click on a side do not mouse up and start dragging.

• 5. Re: How do I round some corners of a shape and leave other corners unrounded ?
                  WTDedula Level 1

Hello All;

OK I figured it out. "The Plug-In "Round any corner" actually did work. I don't know why it didn't work on one corner of a square but when I creaded the shape I needed using the line tool, I was able to round all four sides nicely but was able to leave the two unrounded edges untouched.

I am still investigating my other question about placing a .jpg image inside of my shape.

Tim

• 6. Re: How do I round some corners of a shape and leave other corners unrounded ?
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Different question but place the image below the shape and select both the shape and the image and the go to Object>Clipping Path>Make or Command 7

• 7. Re: How do I round some corners of a shape and leave other corners unrounded ?
                      sandblasta

My simple approach to making a shape with rounded corners in some places, and straight corners in others

I often need to create a rounded rectangle and make the bottom two corners non-rounded for modals in web design. But you'll see that you can adapt this to other types of shapes, too. Here's what I do:

1. Create your rectangle using the regular rectangle tool (NOT the rounded rectangle tool, because the corners don't scale easily on that tool when you want to resize)

2. Go to the Transform panel, and make sure that "Align to Pixel Grid" is unchecked.

3. Go to Object --> Expand Appearance. This will let you edit the particular corners that you want.

4. Grab your Direct Selection Tool (shortcut "A") and with it, select all the points you want to have unrounded.

5. At the top of the screen, you will see options for Anchor Point. Next to "Convert", choose the option that looks like an upside-down "V" with a dot in the middle. That's "Convert selected anchor points to corner."  When you do this, you'll see the points you selected turn angular.

6. Now, go to the Align options on the same bar on the top of the screen, and choose one of the vertical align options. (I use Vertical align Bottom because I like to have my strokes aligned to the inside of the box so that things line up evenly.)

7. Voila! You've done it. Now, If you like, you can also use the pen tool to delete the anchor points you won't be using any longer. But it's not necessary.