4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 7:11 PM by the_wine_snob

PE 7: Media offline and Crashing

Brittnaw

My Adobe Elements 7 has been acting up a lot lately. Sometimes when I load up my videos and add it, the music will play but my video will freeze and I will have to restart it. Another problem has been the media offline screen. My files and such are in the same spot as when I uploaded them but yet they have the offline red screen. If I click on some of the footage with the red screens, they will pop up as if they are online again. The other ones I have to actually move slightly and then the original footage will pop back up. On the timeline they look like they are online with the raw footage but if I bring the red line over them the picture will come up as if they are offline. If I double click the raw footage they come up normally but on the actual edited screen they are the media offline screen. And just today after I went through and moved and clicked all the red screens for my video to actually show, I went to save to My Personal Computer, After I clicked save, my computer crashed and went to the blue screen. I was hoping this was a one time thing. After my computer re-booted, I went through my offline screens again, clicked save to my personal computer and the computer crashed again and went to the same blue screen. I have made videos before and never had this problem. It is also very irritating because the videos I make take about 2 weeks+ to make and now I can't even finish them. My operating system is Windows Vista. My computer is a Dell Studio xps system, new in August 2009. Any suggestion on how to fix this, is there an update needed? Hopefully something I can download.

• 1. Re: PE 7: Media offline and Crashing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is your media on your C drive or on a second hard drive? If your media is being stored on a second hard drive --

particularly an external hard drive -- that could account for it showing up offline. It could be that, every time you start up your computer, your computer is assigning a different letter to the drive, for instance.

As for yoru crashes, that likely signals a more serious problem with your system. But it's hard to say what without knowing what type of camcorder your video is coming from, how fast your processor is, how much RAM you have and, especially, how much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive. It sounds very much like your system is choking because it lacks hardware resources or because the camcorder or media you are using is demanding more resources than you can provide (as when you use photos that are larger than 1000x750 pixels in size).

• 2. Re: PE 7: Media offline and Crashing
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Regarding the crashing, this ARTICLE will give you some ideas on the types of info that can be very useful at troubleshooting your issues.

BTW - Welcome to the forum!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE 7: Media offline and Crashing
              Brittnaw Level 1

I have 6.00 GB of RAM. I don't use a 2nd hard drive. My processor is 2.67GHz. And for most of my videos I use Fraps.

• 4. Re: PE 7: Media offline and Crashing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

There are a lot of good articles on the PrPro forum about editing FRAPS video. You might want to search the Adobe fora for "FRAPS" and limit it to the PrPro forum. You'll have a lot of interesting reading. It is not an easy format/CODEC to edit, but can be done. Those articles will give you a lot of tips.

Good luck,

Hunt