7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2010 1:09 AM by ghijohansson

text not at center

ghijohansson Level 1

I have a project with a lot of text, edited with APE 3.0.2. I realized that the text (and the white rectangle I create to use as background behind the text) doesn't appear in the middle even though I click on "horizontal center" respectively "vertical center" Instead the text and the white rectangle appears slightly further down a slightly to the right.

Is there some solution?
        • 1. Re: text not at center
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You apparently adjusted the position of the clip.

Click on your title on your timeline and check out the Motion properties on the Properties panel. Your Position should read 360 240 (assuming you're in NTSC videoland).

• 2. Re: text not at center
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Using Steve's technique, you should be able to reposition all of your Titles. You might find these Alignment Grids useful. Obviously, you'll only use the correct one on a temporary basis. Once you are done, just delete the Grid.

Once you download and unZIP the files (.PSD, IIRC), just Import the one that fits your Frame Size (4:3, or 16:9), and then drag to a Video Track. You might want to temporarily adjust your Opacity, so you can see everything clearly. Then use Effect>Motion>Position to adjust the first Title. If all of the other Titles are off by the same amount, then when the first is perfect, Rt-click, and choose Copy. Next, lasso (or otherwise Select) all other Titles in the Timeline, Rt-click and choose Paste Attributes. If some require a bit more tweaking, just drag your Grid to that one, and realign, as is required.

Do NOT forget to delete the Grids, before you Export/Share, or you WILL have Grids on your finished AV output.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - you can make custom Grids, say a perfectly centered box, in Photoshop, and use it. I do that for PiP location, so I can position my PiP Video exactly every time. I made a series of these for locations and proportions that were standard in a Project, and used the appropriate one to do the sizing and the location.

• 3. Re: text not at center
              jackscon joseph Level 1

You can use text alignment options in title editor window.

• 4. Re: text not at center
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jackson,

I could be wrong, but my impression was that the OP had used the alignment tools in Titler, but then on the Timeline, the text was now out of alignment. That was why Steve and i were having them look at the Motion>Position, as that could account for a mis-alignment in the Timeline, even when the text was aligned in the Titler.

If that is not the case, then you're 100% correct that the text alignment tool will address the issue in Tilter.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 5. Re: text not at center
                  ghijohansson Level 1
                  After reading your comments I realize that I should had expressed myself differently.
                  About the first suggestion, from Steve, I should had told that the problem occurs for all projects, and for all titles. My position reads 360 288 as it should since I use PAL.
                  For the second suggestion, I have downloaded the two grids and will try them. So thanks.

OK, let's hope it is solved.
                  • 6. Re: text not at center
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you post a screen-cap of the Titler window, with one of the offending Titles displayed? Also, when you do the screen-cap, lasso both the rectangle and the text, so we can see their Bounding Boxes. Might be a big clue in that screen-cap. Hint: attach the JPG of the screen-cap via the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the editing screen's Toolbar.

Might be something else happening.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: text not at center
                      ghijohansson Level 1

I had to put this aside for a while, but today I added the grids and did some screen captures. Here are the results. As as everyone can see, what you see is slightly off centre. Yes, I know the grids are NTSC while my project is PAL, but I doubt that is the problem.

grid2b.JPG

grid3b.JPGgrid4b.JPGgrid5b.JPG