6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 12:01 PM by the_wine_snob

Problem with sharing a video to different formats

coriscow

Hi all

I'm a PE7 user, not pro anyway. I use it to edit and bluray authoring of 1080i and 5.1content from a sony camcorder. My main problem is that I would like to export all these videos to an Archos 5 (screen resolution of 800x480), and the only way I've found is by sharing it with the WMV preset and then, when syncing with the device, the windows media player converts it to the appropiate format. However the quality of the video quality is horrible. Is there any other way to do it correctly? I have all the plugins for the archos, so the formats supported are (according to the official web page)

Video playback**:MPEG-42 (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution)
      WMV (MP@ML, up to DVD resolution) included WMV protected files
      M-JPEG (in QVGA resolution) 

With optional software plug-in:
      HD support: MPEG-4 (ASP 720p) & WMV HD (MP 720p)
      MPEG-2 MP@ML up to 10 Mbps (up to DVD resolution) and AC3 stereo sound (5.1)
      H.264 up to DVD resolution with AAC
      Audio playback**:Stereo MP3 decoding @ 30-320 Kbits/s CBR & VBR, WMA, Protected WMA, WMA pro 5.1, WAV (PCM/ADPCM).
      AC3 stereo audio and 5.1 sound files (via SPDIF output of DVR Station)
      Flac and OGG Vorbis audio files

With optional software plug-in:
      AAC3 and AAC+ stereo audio files

Thanks in advance!!

• 1. Re: Problem with sharing a video to different formats
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd look at adding the H.264 module (~US$20) and encode to H.264 (one of the approved BD formats).

BTW - there are three popular versions of H.264, Apple, Lead and MainConcept. Many users on the PrPro forum have found that either the Lead, or the MainConcept CODEC's yield much better encoding results, than does Apple's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem with sharing a video to different formats
            coriscow Level 1

Hi The_wine_snob, thanks for your quick answer. However, I forgot to mention that I have all plugins. I've tried exporting the video to h264 1080i (and 720p) but the archos don't recognizes it (in fact, it frozes). And, as the windows media player doesn't recognizes this codec either I can't sync through it (I can use file explorer anyway). Maybe is that I am not setting the codec options properly. I have

PAL

1080i or 702p

25fps and 50fps for 720p

field order: upper

profile: high

level: 4.0

bitrate: VBR 1 pass

target bitrate 20mbps

maximum bitrate, 21mbps

Thanks

• 3. Re: Problem with sharing a video to different formats
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Which H.264 CODEC do you have on your system? As I mentioned, they are not all created equal. Most users have had better results with the Lead, or the MainConcept, while many have had issues with the one from Apple.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - does your H-264 file play in Apple QuickTime Player? That would be the first test.

• 4. Re: Problem with sharing a video to different formats
                coriscow Level 1

Hunt I think you got a point on that. The video I encoded using MPEG H.264 1080i profile from PE7, has the .m2t extension and is not playable with quicktime.

However, I'm not sure of which codecs do I have. In my laptop I have installed K-lite codecpack (mega, i think), nero suite, quicktime, etc . Using Gspot it shows dozens of them, it's a mess. If i go through control panel - sound options -hardware -video codec -properties it shows one called 'LEAD MCMP/MJPEG Codec (VFW)'. Is it the Lead codec you told me about? No sign of quicktime or MainConcept though

I wonder why it has to be so hard. I mean, I have quite limited knowledge about video codecs, screen resolutions, aspect ratios, etc Is there really no standard about it?? When I finally get my FullHD video composed I have to start worrying about aspect ratios, resolutions, dvd or Bluray, codecs and so and so or I will get a low quality, croped or strecheted and, sometimes, not viewable video. Sincerely, if any company releases a technicalstuffproof / foolproof video authoring product I would stick to it.

Sorry for the complaint but I've been struggling with this for almost two weeks now and still not getting it

Thanks again

• 5. Re: Problem with sharing a video to different formats
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  it shows one called 'LEAD MCMP/MJPEG Codec (VFW)'. Is it the Lead codec you told me about?

No, this is the Motion JPEG CODEC, also by Lead.

The Lead CODEC that I was referring to is their H.264 one.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - K-Lite installs FFDShow, which has caused many problems with Adobe editors, primarily PrPro. When it's invoked, there is usually a tiny icon that pops up in the Taskbar. Do you see that? Just curious.

• 6. Re: Problem with sharing a video to different formats
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Is there really no standard about it?

Unfortunately, no. Almost every quarter a new CODEC, or a major variation on an existing one, is introduced by the camera mfgrs. Each is trying to get the highest quality out of the smallest file sizes. It will get worse, before it gets better.

Here's a recent THREAD on CODEC's.

One can never be "ahead of the curve" on CODEC's.We all play "catch up."

Good luck,

Hunt