2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 11:26 PM by Mylenium

Prores HQ 422 with AE CS4 on win7-64?

FlashConfused Level 1

I've been a Mac user and all my AE and FCP files are Qucktime Prores HQ 422 1920 x 1080 24p.

I've just purchased AE CS4 Production Premium for Windows, and need to figure how to at least read my files.

1. a user on creative Cow said there was a download somehwere from Apple that would allow me to read Prores.  Anyone know where it is?

2. I'm guessing I'm out of luck writing to Prores on Win7-64. What is the highest resolution codec I can use that will also work on the Mac?

3. I have not installed Quicktime yet on Win7-64.  Are there any tricks to get it installed and working in AE CS4?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Prores HQ 422 with AE CS4 on win7-64?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> 2. I'm guessing I'm out of luck writing to Prores on Win7-64. What is the highest resolution codec I can use that will also work on the Mac?

The use of the word 'resolution' here is a bit off. I assume that you are asking for a codec that can preserve quality. There are quite a few good interchange codecs that work in QuickTime containers. Animation and PNG (set to highest quality) are both lossless, and they're pretty nearly universal. Just don't use them as playback/final-distribution formats.

BTW, see this post about avoiding color problems with ProRes 422 media.

• 2. Re: Prores HQ 422 with AE CS4 on win7-64?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If you want something similar to ProRes, just download Avid's DNxHD Quicktime CoDec, which is available for Mac and PC and free. Other than that, PNG or Animation work well and of course you can always use image sequences. If going between different paltforms is a common requirement, you might consider investing in a commercial CoDec like Cineform or Sheer that considerably cut down on file sizes, support higehr bit-depths, different color spaces and color sampling and could also be used to natively capture items with in the first place.

Mylenium