6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 5:40 AM by OneMoreITGuy

Error 1402. Could not open key.

ynotus

On installing 9.2 I get the following message:

"Error 1402. Could not open Key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS.                                                               Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personel."

I have tried to uninstall version 9.2 which used to work but it still keeps showing that I have this version installed although it does not operate. When I try to repair it it starts but then stops and deletes any changes.

Since this is my personal computer I don't understand "Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personel". All I need is to have it working.

• 1. Re: Error 1402. Could not open key.
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Uninstall Reader the best you can then run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility to remove any leftover traces. Then reinstall.

• 2. Re: Error 1402. Could not open key.
            ynotus Level 1

I have already uninstalled Reader as best I could and then run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility to remove any leftover traces. But I still get the same message when I try to reinstall.

• 3. Re: Error 1402. Could not open key.
              BJeppson

I have tried this, and everything else. I have Acrobat Pro and the automatic update somehow corrupted the files. The Repair fails, the Uninstall fails, and I'm unable to roll back to a clean version. So, basically, I'm stuck with a non-functioning program that is an expensive virtual doorstop.

• 4. Re: Error 1402. Could not open key.
                Skyspy696

I'm having the same Error 1402 problem with my PC using Windwos XP. I can't convert documents using Adobe 9 Pro, I can't repair Adobe 9 Pro, and I can't delete Adobe 9 Pro. I've jumped through all the hoops everyone has mentioned on this site (and others), I've followed directions to the letter yet absolutely nothing is fixing it. I'd say this is more than just frustrating....it's affecting the work I do (or can no longer do).

If the people at Adobe are reading these posts, you've got an awful lot of unhappy customers out here. PLEASE help us!!!

• 5. Re: Error 1402. Could not open key.
                  BJeppson Level 1

I finally fixed this problem on my end. Here is what I did, though it sounds as if your problem is different and may not respond to this approach.

I completely uninstalled Acrobat 9 Pro by going through the Control Panel. Then I ran a deep virus scan (which probably wasn't needed, but I was getting exasperated), and then reinstalled the program from the original disc. It ran fine. Then I checked for updates and applied them. It's now working fine.

In the past, when a program doesn't uninstall normally, I eventually just delete the folders, reboot, run a utility to fix the register, reboot again, and install from the original disc into the same location on the hard drive. That has worked for me so far.

An aside:  Adobe and the other companies who think they are saving money by not providing decent support but counting on "the community" to be their product support and documentation, it sucks and we will move to the cheaper alternatives with any company who provides better service. You will not be able to create buggy and overly complex software with poor interfaces, and then rely on other users to prop you up forever. Service still matters. Good documentation written by a good technical writer will never be displaced.