9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2009 4:31 PM by the_wine_snob

Maintaining folder structure for AVCHD (.mts) video

Eugene562

Hi All,

Can someone confirm whether or not PP CS4 and AE CS4 require the AVCHD folder structure to be left in-tact?

I just found this http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2008/09/intro_to_cs4_and_new_avchd_edi.html

Which says...

... Make sure you leave the folder structure alone. Drag it to the new folder as an exact copy. This will ensure that you will have everything you need. PremierePro’s Importer (also used by AfterEffects & Encore) uses the various folders and files to help indentify the tapeless file types and settings.

... so clearly it's preferable to do this, but is it actually required?

I haven't purchased the CS 4 software yet, but I was planning to, however this may be a problem, as I have over 6 months worth of footage, most of it without the folder structure. It just seemed too much of a nuisance trying to maintain it and also keep the files in a organised manner. I tried various demos of video editing software and all those I tried (including Premiere Elements) worked fine with just the .mts files, without the extra stuff.

I've also used the trial versions of AE and PP, however these don't seem to support .mts at all. Having read various threads on the subject though, I'd concluded that this was just a missing feature in the trial versions.

Thanks very much,

Eugene

• 1. Re: Maintaining folder structure for AVCHD (.mts) video
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Eugene,

If you did not keep the original directory structure intact, you are very likely out of luck. You can try with what you salvaged, but chances that it will work are very slim.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Maintaining folder structure for AVCHD (.mts) video
            Eugene562 Level 1

Thanks for the response.

Does this mean that it wouldn't be able to import standalone mts files at all? I was hoping perhaps it would work, but perhaps with slightly reduced functionality, like it obviously wouldn't be able to show me the original camera settings (ISO, shutter speed etc.).

This does seem odd, as every other video editing program I've tried (including Premiere Elements) required just the mts, and didn't need the .cpi files.

When I first got the camcorder (a Canon HF200) I persisted with downloading the full directory structures for a while. The software that came with the camera would download the footage with the folder structure etc. However it would only do it directly from the camera, not from from the laptops SD reader. It also required the camera to be connected to mains power. This was really quite inconvenient sometimes, so I gave up on it

I decided it was much simpler to just download the footage using my normal image downloading software (which only downloaded the .mts files)

I can't actually test this unfortunately, as I don't have the full versions, and I don't want to purchase the software until I know for sure one way or the other if it would work.

It is very odd that they would disable AVCHD in the trial version. How are people supposed to test it properly?

Thanks,

Eugene

• 3. Re: Maintaining folder structure for AVCHD (.mts) video
              Harm Millaard Level 7

It is not so odd if you take into consideration that Adobe needs to pay licence fees for every application made available to a customer, whether it is a paying one for the full version or a trial version. They would lose enormous amounts if they were to pay these license fees for each and every trial version and if they would like to recover those expenses, the full version would get even more expensive. That is why they have a buy and try period of 30 days. When not satisfied, you can get a full refund.

• 4. Re: Maintaining folder structure for AVCHD (.mts) video
                Eugene562 Level 1

I guess that would make sense, except that the trial version of Premiere Elements supports AVCHD. It seems odd that they would include it in the trial version of their entry level product, but not the pro version.

• 5. Re: Maintaining folder structure for AVCHD (.mts) video
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry, I don't know about PE.

• 6. Re: Maintaining folder structure for AVCHD (.mts) video
                    Eugene562 Level 1

That's ok, anyway I appreciate your help. It's just a bit frustrating working out a good way to deal with these files. I thought I was doing ok, but now it looks like I may have messed up, by not maintaining the folder structure.

The other odd thing, I just checked, and noticed that the canon software actually doesn't maintain the folder structure either. It renames the .mts, and .cpi files based on the date and time it was recorded, and then puts them into folders named by date.

The original avchd folder structure is actually nothing like this, it has a bunch of other folders in there, although most are empty.

I''m now really confused. I don't know whether I should be simply copying (using windows explorer) the whole folder structure from the SD card, or using the Canon software. I don't know what Premiere actually requires, and I can't find any documenation about it.

How do people normally organise and/or archive their AVCHD footage. It seems like it would get very messy and confusing having a whole bunch of dupplicated folders everywhere. Also having the footage all stored in different folders (like if I download more than once in a day) would mean that I can't browse through the thumbnails to find what I want. On top of that the original file names are not date stamped, so without consulting the .cpi file (which appears to be some proprietary binary format), there'd be no way to determine when the footage was recorded.

Surely there must be a better way to do this?

Is it just me, or is AVCHD something of a dogs breakfast of a format. Why didn't they design it so that the cpi data was stored within the mts files themselves as meta data (like exif or something)? Having to maintain this confusing folder structure just seems like a very poorly conceived idea.

• 7. Re: Maintaining folder structure for AVCHD (.mts) video
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

What I do (with XDCAM-EX footage) is a directory structure like this:

Client A/ Project B / Stick 1 /BPAV

Client A/ Project B / Stick 2 /BPAV

Client B/ Project A / Stick 1 /BPAV

etc.

• 8. Re: Maintaining folder structure for AVCHD (.mts) video
                        Eugene562 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I might just need to be a bit more disciplined and organised, rather than relying on the downloader program to keep everything organised.

Possibly what I should do is write a simple downloader program myself to copy the SD cards to the computer and date stamp the folders etc.

Mostly I just use the camcorder for personal stuff more so than client work. So generally for me, date and time is the most useful way to organise footage.

• 9. Re: Maintaining folder structure for AVCHD (.mts) video
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I guess that would make sense, except that the trial version of Premiere Elements supports AVCHD. It seems odd that they would include it in the trial version of their entry level product, but not the pro version.

I agree that this is an oddity. Maybe the watermark that PrE trial imprints gets Adobe around the MainConcept licensing issue?

I posed just this question to an Adobe employee, but have yet to get a response.

Good luck,

Hunt