6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 11:21 PM by Mylenium

System Upgrade? - HD/Multiple apps

Hira Meijin

Over the past year I’ve used the Creative Suite, I’ve always noticed some slowdowns when running multiple CS applications at one time. I’ve been interested in making the switch to shooting and editing in 720p and 1080p and am wondering if my system will be enough to efficiently editing and playback HD footage.

Brief System Specs:

Intel Dual Core 2.0Ghz

2.0GB DDR2 SDRAM PC-6400

PNY Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT 512MB (only upgrade component)

450GB HDD (130 GB Free)

Detailed System Specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01374070&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3 686681&lang=en

My system plays back 720p footage efficiently/normally (usually consuming around 50% of my CPU), but I’m unaware if that will change during the editing process in AE or PPro. Also what is recommended that I upgrade in order to make working with AE, PPro, and perhaps another instance of CS4 smoother and more efficient?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: System Upgrade? - HD/Multiple apps
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

2GB of RAM isn't enough to run After Effects and another application while doing any real work with HD frames. I recommend at least another 2GB.

• 2. Re: System Upgrade? - HD/Multiple apps
            Hira Meijin Level 1

Yeah, thats one of the components I'm looking to upgrade. I know there are minimum specs on the official Adobe websie, but are there any official reccomended specs for running AE?

• 3. Re: System Upgrade? - HD/Multiple apps
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I recommend running a 64-bit operating system on a computer with a lot of RAM and multiple processor cores.

I also recommend having mutliple fast local disk drives.

BTW, do not put a lot of resources into a spiffy graphics card for the purpose of After Effects. As long as you have GPU that is supported and meets the basic requirements, you'll get the bulk of the benefit.

• 4. Re: System Upgrade? - HD/Multiple apps
                Hira Meijin Level 1

My motherboard maxes out at 4GB RAM and only supports Dual Core CPUs, do you think maxing out my RAM would sufficent enough to process/edit HD footage with an upgrade to a 64-bit OS?

• 5. Re: System Upgrade? - HD/Multiple apps
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                  > My motherboard maxes out at 4GB RAM and only supports Dual Core CPUs, do you think maxing out my RAM would sufficent enough to process/edit HD footage with an upgrade to a 64-bit OS?

You should be able to get HD work done on such a system. It may be slow at times, but you can get work done.

• 6. Re: System Upgrade? - HD/Multiple apps
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If it only allows 4GB, then there is no point in going 64bit. The operating system itself would consume much more RAM and take away from potential benefits. Stick with 32bit then, but of course go the full 4GB. I'm afraid there is really no good solution to your problem. It all comes down to "Buy a new computer!" once more. You may be able to edit HD footage on your current machine, but be aware that regardless of otehr considerations, it will be a painfull and slow process, not just because of the RAM but also because of the processor. In any case, when you work with HD stuff, you should by all means not have other apps open on such a system, if you can avoid it. Because of the low RAM, they will get into each otehrs way and in addition, your operating system will constantly be busy sorting the swap file in order to send the app that is currently not in the foreground to suspend/ hibernate, in turn costing you again time when you attempt to switch apps and it needs to wake up. This gets more critical, the less RAM is available and from personal experience on my old system (5 year old machine with 2 GB which I had until April), I know how annoying it will eventually become.

Mylenium