11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2009 5:08 PM by tzeng

Sidecar installation with Adobe AIR 1.5.3

seaneyefi

Hi all,

I'm having some difficulty with a sidecar installation with AIR 1.5.3. I've followed the steps in the runtime redistribution pdf (especially the section "Using the bundled runtime installer") but no luck yet. Here's my scenario:

1. Building the application with the 3.4 flex sdk (the distribution says that Adobe AIR 1.5.2 is included with the 3.4 version of the flex sdk)

2. Downloaded the AIR_Mac_installer_files.dmg from http://www.adobe.com/products/air/runtime_distribution3.html.

3. Renamed the installer to match my application's name.

4. Created a .airinstall.cfg file which included my application's name.

5. Double clicked on the installer file, but I don't get anything. No prompt for installing the AIR application.

This is running on MAC OSX 10.5.7. My "bundled runtime installer directory" looks like:

-rw-r--r--  1 seanoshea  staff       16 Dec 14 18:26 .airinstall.cfg

drwxr-xr-x  3 seanoshea  staff      102 Dec 14 17:38 Eye-Fi-Center Installer.app

-rw-r--r--  1 seanoshea  staff  3171146 Dec 14 18:21 Eye-Fi-Center.air

Any ideas on where I'm going wrong here?

Sean

• 1. Re: Sidecar installation with Adobe AIR 1.5.3
          seaneyefi Level 1

Digging down into this a little bit more, this is what my info.plist contents looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleAllowMixedLocalizations</key>

<true/>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>Adobe AIR Installer</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>Adobe AIR 1.5.3</string>

<key>CFBundleIconFile</key>

<string>Adobe AIR Installer</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.adobe.air.Installer</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>APPL</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.5.3</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.5.3.9120</string>

<key>LSBackgroundOnly</key>

<true/>

<key>LSMinimumSystemVersion</key>

<string>10.4.9</string>

<key>NSHumanReadableCopyright</key>

<string>Copyright © 2007-2009 Adobe Systems Inc.</string>

</dict>

</plist>

And this is what the permissions for the Installer looks like:
          seanosheas-macbook-pro-2:MacOS seanoshea$ pwd
          /Users/seanoshea/Downloads/center-mac/Eye-Fi-Center Installer.app/Contents/MacOS
          seanosheas-macbook-pro-2:MacOS seanoshea$ ls -ltr
          total 168
          -rw-r--r--  1 seanoshea  staff  84896 Dec 14 17:39 Adobe AIR Installer
          I tried chmod'ing the installer application and the application I'm trying to install (just in case this was a permissions issue), but no luck - I get the same results as before.
          Even when I try to double click on the EyeFiCenter Installer application on a system which doesn't have Adobe AIR installed, the runtime doesn't even get installed.
          One other data point on this - if I use a 1.5.1 installer with the same application on a windows system, the runtime gets installed, but the application itself doesn't.
          • 2. Re: Sidecar installation with Adobe AIR 1.5.3
            seaneyefi Level 1

Looking at the .airinstall.log in my home directory, this is what I see:

UI SWF load is complete

stateRunningAppInstaller: appinstaller -runtime "/Users/seanoshea/Downloads/center-mac/Eye-Fi-Center Installer.app/Contents/Frameworks" -withRuntime -url file:///Users/seanoshea/Downloads/center-mac/Eye-Fi-Center.air

App installer failed; exit code -1

begin quitting

Anyone ideas on what an exit code of -1 means for the installer?

• 3. Re: Sidecar installation with Adobe AIR 1.5.3
              seaneyefi Level 1

Oddly, on Windows when I install with a 1.5.1 installer, this is what I see in my .log files:

Performing runtime update

UI SWF load is complete

UI initialized

starting user confirmation

Version of this installer: 1.5.3.9120

Newest installed version: 1.5.1.8210

Installation type: patchNewerNewest

starting elevated install

subinstaller: starting install

subinstaller: Scheduling runtime installation operations

subinstaller: uninstall scheduled for 1.0.4, 1.0.6, 1.0.5

subinstaller: Installed Product GUID:{A2BCA9F1-566C-4805-97D1-7FDC93386723}  is same:true

subinstaller: Beginning runtime installation

subinstaller: Beginning install

subinstaller: Reinstalling c:\users\admin\appdata\local\temp\air415b.tmp\setup.msi

subinstaller: Copying C:\Users\admin\appdata\local\temp\air415b.tmp\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Resources\airappinstaller.exe to C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\airappinstaller\airappinstaller.exe

subinstaller: Copying C:\Users\admin\appdata\local\temp\air415b.tmp\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Resources\digest.s to C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\airappinstaller\digest.s

subinstaller: Execution complete; beginning commit phase

subinstaller: Commit complete

subinstaller: install complete

subinstaller: begin quitting

Elevated install completed

begin quitting

When I install using the 1.5.1 installer, I get prompted to upgrade to the 1.5.3 runtime. When I accept the upgrade, I get the output posted above being logged to my .airinstall.log file.

• 4. Re: Sidecar installation with Adobe AIR 1.5.3
                seaneyefi Level 1

Back on mac, if I install the 1.5.3 runtime and invoke the installer directly, everything goes ok:

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app/Contents/MacOS

78:MacOS seanoshea$ ./Adobe\ AIR\ Application\ Installer /Users/seanoshea/eyefi/svn/manager/air/build/Eye-Fi-Center.air

my .airappinstaller log looks like:

Starting app install of file:///Users/seanoshea/eyefi/svn/manager/air/build/api-test.eye.fi/Eye-Fi-Center.air

UI SWF load is complete

UI initialized

Unpackaging to /private/var/folders/ji/jiiah6G5GYKfLcqFG7+K0k+++TI/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0

unpackaging is complete

application is bound to side-by-side version 1.0

application is bound to this version of the runtime

app id fi.eye.Eye-Fi-Center

pub id E430518E652B889A80EC0E8A6E532C09FF36DF62.1

Application located at /Applications

Waiting for user confirmation

User confirmed action: install

creating native installer in: /private/var/folders/ji/jiiah6G5GYKfLcqFG7+K0k+++TI/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp1

native installer creation complete

Starting install

Repairing fi.eye.Eye-Fi-Center installed at /Applications/Eye-Fi-Center.app

New install location will be /Applications/Eye-Fi-Center.app

Beginning install

Copying /Applications/Eye-Fi-Center.app to /private/var/folders/ji/jiiah6G5GYKfLcqFG7+K0k+++TI/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp2/file1

Deleting /Applications/Eye-Fi-Center.app

Copying /private/var/folders/ji/jiiah6G5GYKfLcqFG7+K0k+++TI/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp1/Template to /Applications/Eye-Fi-Center.app

Execution complete; beginning commit phase

Deleting /private/var/folders/ji/jiiah6G5GYKfLcqFG7+K0k+++TI/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp2/file1

Commit complete

Re-launching application from /Applications/Eye-Fi-Center.app

starting cleanup of temporary files

application installer exiting

• 5. Re: Sidecar installation with Adobe AIR 1.5.3
                  seaneyefi Level 1

This command seemed to work on a machine without AIR installed (note I've made a small change to my application's name):

seanosheas-macbook-pro-2:center-mac 2 seanoshea$ sudo chmod a+rwx *.app

seanosheas-macbook-pro-2:center-mac 2 seanoshea$ ls

Eye-Fi Center Installer.app Eye-Fi Center.air

seanosheas-macbook-pro-2:center-mac 2 seanoshea$ ls -ltr

total 5168

drwxrwxrwx@ 3 seanoshea  staff      102 Nov 20 12:13 Eye-Fi Center Installer.app

-rwxrwxrwx  1 seanoshea  staff  2644855 Dec 14 21:27 Eye-Fi Center.air

seanosheas-macbook-pro-2:center-mac 2 seanoshea$ Eye-Fi\ Center\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ AIR\ Installer -silent Eye-Fi\ Center.air

If I try to run that exact same command again (now the runtime is installed), I get an error which says "failed due to bad configuration" - my airappinstall.log file shows:

Starting silent app install of file:///Users/seanoshea/Downloads/center-mac%202/Eye-Fi%20Center.air

UI SWF load is complete

UI initialized

Unpackaging to /private/var/folders/ji/jiiah6G5GYKfLcqFG7+K0k+++TI/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0

unpackaging is complete

Application located at /Applications

bad configuration for silent install or update

When I look at my .airinstall.log file, this is what I see:

Starting silent x1 install from file:///Users/seanoshea/Downloads/center-mac%202/Eye-Fi%20Center.air

UI SWF load is complete

stateRunningAppInstaller: appinstaller -runtime "/Users/seanoshea/Downloads/center-mac 2/Eye-Fi Center Installer.app/Contents/Frameworks" -silent -withRuntime -url file:///Users/seanoshea/Downloads/center-mac%202/Eye-Fi%20Center.air

App installer failed; exit code 9

begin quitting

Strangely, if I uninstall the application first and then run that exact same command (with the runtime installed), the install succeeds.

Sean

• 6. Re: Sidecar installation with Adobe AIR 1.5.3
                    seaneyefi Level 1

On Windows, when I try to install an application and there's an existing version of the AIR runtime present, I get this in the log files:

Starting silent app install of file:///C:/Users/admin/Desktop/in/Eye-Fi%20Center.air

UI SWF load is complete

UI initialized

Unpackaging to C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\fla9373.tmp

unpackaging is complete

Application not located

creating native installer in: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\fla9C5D.tmp

native installer creation complete

Starting install

Destination for installed application is C:\Program Files

stateInstalling: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Unhandled exception Error: Directory can't be written to" errorID=5006]

Even if I change the permissions on C:\Program Files to allow it be writeable, I get the same error.
                    I'm invoking the Installer as follows:
                    AdobeAIRInstaller.exe -silent "Eye-Fi Center.air"
                    I would have thought that the installer would have privileges to write to that directory - is there something I'm missing here?
                    Sean

• 7. Re: Sidecar installation with Adobe AIR 1.5.3
                      tzeng Adobe Employee

Hi Sean,

Could you  summarize the behavior on each platform? Thanks for all the info.

-ted

• 8. Re: Sidecar installation with Adobe AIR 1.5.3
                        seaneyefi Level 1

Hi there Ted,

In summary, there are three scenarios which I'm testing on each platform:

1. Installation of the application where the user does not have an AIR runtime previously installed.

2. Installation of the application where the user has an AIR runtime installed.

3. Installation of the application where the user has an AIR runtime installed and has a version of our application installed too (basically this is the update scenario)

I have a bootstrapper application which will be invoking the installer, so I understand I do not need to rename the Adobe AIR installer .exes or .app files.

On Windows XP, the command I'm invoking is shown in Picture 4.png. Basically, I'm invoking the AdobeAIRInstaller.exe file, passing a -silent flag and the name of the application I'm trying to install. This command works fine for scenarios 1 and 2 above. However, if I use this command when I try to update an existing application, I get this error:

Starting silent x1 install from file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/air/Eye-Fi%20Center.air

UI SWF load is complete

stateRunningAppInstaller: appinstaller -runtime C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\AIR1C.tmp -silent -withRuntime -url file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/air/Eye-Fi%20Center.air

begin quitting

The permissions problem I was running into in my previous post on Windows Vista is a false alarm. I wasn't running the cmd application with admin rights (despite the fact that I was logged into the OS as an admin). Running cmd.exe as an admin solved that issue.

So, I'm only stuck on the update scenario. Same thing happens on mac when I try to install on a system where Adobe AIR is already installed and the application is installed too. The .airinstall.log file shows:

Starting silent x1 install from file:///Users/seanoshea/Downloads/center-mac/Eye-Fi%20Center.air

UI SWF load is complete

stateRunningAppInstaller: appinstaller -runtime "/Users/seanoshea/Downloads/center-mac/Adobe AIR Installer.app/Contents/Frameworks" -silent -withRuntime -url file:///Users/seanoshea/Downloads/center-mac/Eye-Fi%20Center.air

begin quitting

The .airappinstall.log shows:
                        Starting silent app install of file:///Users/seanoshea/Downloads/center-mac/Eye-Fi%20Center.air
                        UI SWF load is complete
                        UI initialized
                        unpackaging is complete
                        Application located at /Applications/Eye-Fi
                        bad configuration for silent install or update
                        Let me know if you need any additional information.
                        Thanks
                        Sean

• 9. Re: Sidecar installation with Adobe AIR 1.5.3
                          tzeng Adobe Employee

Thanks for the info. Sidecar instasllation is not supposed to update an installed app. S

o in this case, the install would fail.

-ted

• 10. Re: Sidecar installation with Adobe AIR 1.5.3
                            seaneyefi Level 1

Ted,

For updating previously installed applications, which application should I invoke from my bootstrapper application? What parameters should I pass?

Looking at how Adobe AIR is installed on mac, there's an uninstaller application:

seanosheas-macbook-pro-2:MacOS seanoshea$ ls

Adobe AIR Installer

seanosheas-macbook-pro-2:MacOS seanoshea$ pwd

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app/Contents/MacOS

seanosheas-macbook-pro-2:MacOS seanoshea$

Could I pass this application a file name to uninstall a previously installed version of my application if I detect that one is present when the bootstrapper runs? And then, once the un-install finishes, I could go ahead and install the new version of the application? Is that what you recommend for updating applications via a bootstrapper?

Looking at the sidecar installer - there's a Adobe AIR Updater.exe application - is this something I could invoke if I detect that a version of the application is already installed on the user's machine? If so, what parameters should I pass to this application?

Thanks

Sean

• 11. Re: Sidecar installation with Adobe AIR 1.5.3
                              tzeng Adobe Employee

That Uninstaller is for Runtime Uninstall.

You need to remove the app. first. On Mac, you can just rm the app.

On Windows, you need to find out the GUI with OSID and remove the app. with msi.

There is a section in this doc (you should have it already):

help.adobe.com/en_US/AIR/1.5/air_runtime_redist/air_runtime_redist.pdf

about how to do this.

-ted

1 person found this helpful