13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2009 7:44 PM by jesskaat

New problems with uninstall

jesskaat Level 1

Hello again all.

The problems never end do they?

When you last heard from me, my codecs got messed up by Calibrated Q. Things got straightened out when I unistalled PP and reinstalled it. Well, I tried to encode something today and the encoder would not load. It wouldn't load as a stand along program either. I got a message when I tried to load it from the start menu and here it is:

The procedure entry point??0New HandlerInitializer@ErrorManger@config@dvacore@@QAE@XZ could not be located in the dynamic link library dvacore.dll

So, I figured it was time to reinstall PP. I downloaded it again and uninstalled it through the control panel.......only......it won't go away from the list of installed programs, and when I try to unistall it again, nothing shows up on the Adobe dialoge box for me to check and uninstall. All the components are on the start menu also, ie - bridge, encoder etc. Nothing will load though when I double click on the icons.

I installed the program again and it failed to install all the components, so I unistalled it again and it's still on the list.

Don't really know where to go from here.

Any ideas??

Jessica

• 1. Re: New problems with uninstall
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Sounds like time for the CS4 Clean Script. Download the one pertinent to your operating system, uninstall any of the CS4 applications that you can, and run the script a few times, restarting you computer between each run. This script was supposed to be for removing traces of beta and trila versions of the software, but it's becoming more frequently necessary for fixing broken installations.

• 2. Re: New problems with uninstall
            jesskaat Level 1

Will try that and report back.

Thanks.

Jess

veccvideography.com

• 3. Re: New problems with uninstall
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jessica,

Many report that running the Adobe Clean Script CS4 a couple of times, and then doing a Registry cleaner, like CCleaner (freeware) is the trick. Then, when all is clean, an install and any updates seem to work fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: New problems with uninstall
                jesskaat Level 1

thanks, I'll try it

veccvideography.com

• 5. Re: New problems with uninstall
                  jesskaat Level 1

My first try with clean script is no good.

I got this error message:

The applicatioin has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

Redownloading the app didn't help.

I've also got Photoshop, AE etc. Should I uninstall all that?

Jess

• 6. Re: New problems with uninstall
                    Level 1

This reply is more aimed toward those helping you fix your problems, because I don't know enough about the history and specifics of these program installation difficulties.  But...Anyway....I'm wondering if maybe there could be bad sectors on the hard drive ?

I haven't done it in a long time, but I seem to recall that with the right program it doesn't take long to test the hard drive sectors and, if any bad ones are found, fix it so they aren't used anymore.

Rod

ps. again, this is more for those who know what's up with helping ...not something to worry about...

• 7. Re: New problems with uninstall
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Yes, uninstall all CS4 applications. There are connections between several of the programs whereby, if one install is broken, others may not function correctly. I've tried repair installs of individual suite applications, and it only serves to make the problem worse.

Before running the Clean Script, did you read the PDF and download the MS Installer Clean Up Utility? The Clean Script uses that program to do the clean up, and doesn't do anything if you haven't installed it.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: New problems with uninstall
                        jesskaat Level 1

Was just about to email you to tell you I did that. I forgot about that utility. I've successfully uninstalled all CS4 products. I ran CCClean and fixed all the issues found there. Now, I'm going to reinstall everything and hope for the best.

I'll be back to you all later this afternoon.

Thanks for all the help. You're keeping me in business.

Jessica

veccvideography.com

• 9. Re: New problems with uninstall
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Great, that's good to hear. One tip once you do the reinstall, should you want to also install all of the updates (which is recommended): don't use Premiere, After Effects, or Media Encoder to initiate the update process (i.e. Help > Updates). I've found that most times, the update process messes up when using these programs; I don't know if it's the way these programs work together, but launching one of them to update results in an "Update Failed" message. I've had OK results using Bridge (which also has the Help > Updates) command, and as soon as the updater opens and starts doing the check, I close the program to give it plenty of time to clear out of memory. I've had to reinstall the entire suite probably 6-8 times on two systems in the past 6-8 months, so I've definitely learned what NOT to do.

Good luck, and let us know that everything is back in shape (and you're back in business!)...

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: New problems with uninstall
                            jesskaat Level 1

Hello.

Well, aside from an install of After Effects that had an error, everything else is back online. I'm not going to worry about AE, as I don't use it that much. I got a message saying some component didn't install but that I could still use it. Why it won't tell me what didn't install is beyond comprehension.

I'm not having any problems with PP right now and I've been working with it for a couple of hours.

I updated from Bridge, thanks for that tip Colin.

Well, as everything was cleaning and reloading, I got to write an important proposal on my laptop today. So, all was not lost....I just hope I get the gig!

Thanks to all of you, Colin,  Mr. Wine Snob and Robo. If you're ever in the New York Catskills, I'd love to get together for a drink and trade horror stories.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Best Regards,

Jessica

• 11. Re: New problems with uninstall
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that most things are going well. As for the error messages in almost all programs - they COULD give a few more clues, couldn't they?

Good luck on the proposal, and on the shoot.

Thanks for reporting and good luck with AE,

Hunt

• 12. Re: New problems with uninstall
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Jessica,

Excellent--glad you're (mostly) back up to speed! I get really frustrated myself with the frequent need to "baby" this software--it seems extraordinarily tempermental at times. At least you made the best of it   Good luck on the job!

ASIDE: Because I'm a bit of a snoop, I checked out your website and saw your trailer for the documentary about the immigrant community in NY. Interesting stuff. I'm actually working (and have been for about a year and a half) on a documentary project about the response of cities and localities to mass immigration, cast against the backdrop of a federal government that's reluctant (at best) to address the issues and their fallout. The project actually started back in 1999 (I wasn't involved then), but September 11 saw the funding for the project collapse. About two years ago, the project picked up again, and I've since gotten to travel with the project (I do some location sound, and I'm also the lead post production guy) across the country, from Washington, DC to San Jose. We were actually going to interview someone in Adobe's HR until the lawyers said "not interested"! I was just looking forward to getting some schwag Anyway, it's definitely a complex matter, and no matter which side of the fence you're on, things are going to start getting interesting once this whole health care matter is over with... but we can discuss that over that drink in the Catskills...

• 13. Re: New problems with uninstall
                                  jesskaat Level 1

Wow! That's amazing Colin. Yes, immigration is the hottest issue there is today. I just had a meeting with Audrey Singer at Brookings about trying to secure funding for my next doc, which is about undocumented migrants in the apple orchards of Wayne County New York. These orchards are on the shores of Lake Ontario and since 9/11 homeland security, finding itself well funded, has put their funds to use harassing the Mexican workers in the orchards. I'm doing a sort of portrait of the undocumented worker and how they have to remain invisible to survive. It's such a tragic situation. But, not only for the Mexicans that have a negative (and unrealistic) light shining on them continually in the US. The problem of undocumented immigration is a worldwide problem that is just picking up speed. I shudder to think of the world our children and grandchildren are inheriting.

If you are ever in the area, please let me know. I'd love to talk.

Regards,

Jess

ps. I tell everyone that I do the weddings and the corporate stuff to support my documentary habit........

veccvideography.com