6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2009 1:59 AM by BigJohnD

General printer failure 8315:5218

Shaunak Vaidya Level 1

Hi,

When one of the user is trying to print from Adobe pageMaker 7.01a, it does not print and gives the below error message

An error occured while printing
      General printer failure
      8315:5218

It works fine when try to use the same printer from other applications like Word etc. Reinstalling also did not help.

Can somebody please help with this issue?

Thank You

• 1. Re: General printer failure 8315:5218
          BigJohnD Level 3

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/2463015-31214/pageMakerError.png

Can you give more details of the printer and printing details?

Is it a PS printer?

Are you printing to FILE: ?

Are you using the Export… AdobePDF… macro?

Create a new PM publication, with just a square of black on it - does that print OK?

It could be a permissions issue - are all the files on a local drive, usually C:, and not a server or flash drive?

What if you remove all the images- does it print OK?

Are you using any non-standard fonts?

Carry out a diagnostic recomposition.

1. Hold down the Control and Shift keys while you choose Type > Hyphenation. This causes PageMaker to perform a diagnostic recompose.

2. Hold down the Shift key while you choose Layout > Go To Page. PageMaker cycles through the pages of your publication; after it's cycled through the entire publication, press any key to end the slide show.

3. Choose File > Save As, and then save the file with a new name, playing safe by using folder and filename of 8 or less alphanumeric characters.

Verify that the publication's links are valid using File > Links Manager

More here: Troubleshoot printing problems in PageMaker (6.5-7.x)

• 2. Re: General printer failure 8315:5218
            Shaunak Vaidya Level 1

Tried below things on users system. But no success.

Print the same file to a different printer
            Copied the same file to a local folder and sent to print
            Created a new file and sent to print it to different printers
            Also ran Repair installation

But none of this worked. The PageMaker does not print to any printer. And gives the same error

Although I installed Acrobat on the system and can print it using Adobe PDF printer to a PDF file.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it a PS printer? No

Are you printing to FILE: ?

I do not know how FILE: is related to this. But I opened "Printers and Faxes" window. Select File --> Server Properties. In the "Ports" tab could see an entry for FILE: Do not know how it is related with Adobe Pagemaker

Are you using the Export… AdobePDF… macro? No

Create a new PM publication, with just a square of black on it - does that print OK? No, it gives the same error

It could be a permissions issue - are all the files on a local drive, usually C:, and not a server or flash drive? I copied file on local folder as c:\data\. But still the same error message.

What if you remove all the images- does it print OK? I created a new publication with only text in it and tried printing it. But same message.

Are you using any non-standard fonts? No

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------

I will also carry out a diagnostic recomposition as per your reply and follow instructions from troubleshooting page. Will update again if it worked or not.

• 3. Re: General printer failure 8315:5218
              Shaunak Vaidya Level 1

Deleted PM70.cnf file restarted PageMaker. New file did get created.

Checked the size of win.ini is less tahn 32KB. It is 1KB

Restarted the printer

Restarted the system

But none of the above is helping to print from PageMaker.

• 4. Re: General printer failure 8315:5218
                BigJohnD Level 3

FILE: is a port used by the printer, not PM.

For WinXP, win.ini is irrelevant and is typically 1kb.

Your workaround is to create the PDF and print that.

You could try deleting all the PM config files.

If you are saying that no PM file will print to this printer but Distiller is fine, all other apps print out OK, you have the correct/latest printer driver, have removed and re-installed PM, there are no privilege or drive issues, and have re-booted the PC, then only re-installing Windows is left.

• 5. Re: General printer failure 8315:5218
                  Shaunak Vaidya Level 1

Hi,

Even tried below steps without success.

Asked the user to login from a different computer and then try printing from PageMaker.

I downloaded a TryOut version on my system and even I get the same error message from my system.

I have suggested the user to either print to PDF as a workaround or use some other Adobe product for this. He now has installed Acrobat v9. Is that OK or would InDesign CS3 be a closer match as a replacement for PageMaker?

Many thanks for your suggestions so far.

• 6. Re: General printer failure 8315:5218
                    BigJohnD Level 3

Asked the user to login from a different computer and then try printing from PageMaker.

So where is PM installed?