1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 16, 2009 4:44 AM by BigJohnD

Fonts not showing up in PDF's

erob1

Hello all,

I am running PageMaker 6.5, Acrobat Pro 7 and ATM 4.1 on Windows XP Pro. I have had trouble with fonts (postscript) not showing up when I print to PDF from PageMaker. This has only happened to me recently, and coincidentally after installing inDesign CS4 - don't know if that might be a factor.

I have been able to get around the problem twice so far by deactivating the problem font in ATM, restarting my computer, reactivating the fonts and printing the suspect pages to PDF over again. Converting PageMaker docs to PDF is a huge part of my workflow so it would be great to find a better solution!

Thanks in advance for any insights you may have.

Eric

• 1. Re: Fonts not showing up in PDFs
          BigJohnD Level 3
          "Type 1, TrueType, and OpenType fonts are all PostScript fonts!

There is no need to necessarily install any fonts prior to installing any Adobe software.

And you can add a font manager at any time as well. Remember that you don't need to add such software simply to support Type 1 and OpenType fonts, both of which are natively supported under Windows 2000, XP, and 2003 Server. "

Dov Isaacs - http://forums.adobe.com/message/1785800#1785800

However PM struggles with Opentype fonts, only being able to process the first 255 characters.  Creating PDFs using PM's macro can be temperamental if not everything is just so.  There's dozens of threads here about similar issues.

PM6.5 is ancient, and not supported on WinXP - "it may not behave as you expect" as Adobe say.

There are issues with ATM and WinXP, though if you have ATM4.1 running OK, leave well alone.

As you have InDesign, why not convert the PM files to INDD?  The conversion is generally OK, providing the images and fonts are available, though some tidying up will need to be done.  Creating PDFs from InDesign couldn't be simpler.