10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2009 7:52 AM by the_wine_snob

Defragmentation tools

nealeh Level 5

Just wondering which software people use to defragment their disks and maximise contiguous free space.

I ask because most defragmentation tools I've come across try to 'intelligently' organize the disk and wont necessarily move all files to the beginning of the disk. But this is something I want as I'm going to partition my disk and wish to maximise contiguous free space.

Cheers,
      --
      Neale
      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 1. Re: Defragmentation tools
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I have used Diskeeper and been very satisfied.I do not use it on the dynamic/automatic setting, but do the defragmenting almost daily manually, and more often if I have been doing a lot of NLE work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Defragmentation tools
            Ed.Macke Level 3

I just use the built-in Windows defrag, and have had no complaints.

Not really sure what, if any, difference the more advanced tools provide, nor how that plays out in the real world.

I run mine weekly as a scheduled job ("c:\windows\system32\defrag.exe c:") in the wee hours of the morning. Weekly seems to be not frequent enough for my workhorse C:, but more than enough for my D: (which is solely video storage).

• 3. Re: Defragmentation tools
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>going to partition my disk

I have never seen a message saying you should partition... always that you should use separate, physical drives for video editing

• 4. Re: Defragmentation tools
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Oh, I had not seen that line in Neale's request.

@Neale,

Do you have a good, compelling reason to partition - are really, really compelling reason?

Especially in NLE work, a partition will slow things down greatly. The OS sees the one physical HDD as two, and will request reads/writes to/from it at the same time.

If you are looking for a dual-boot system (only reason that I can imagine to partition), a better solution would be to pick up a hot-swappable cage, and a couple of HDD's. Each would be set up with the appropriate OS and necessary programs. Just plug in, say the Win7 HDD, or the XP-Pro HDD. Nowadays, I can think of no other reason to partition any HDD. Now, some networked, non-NLE systems, some IT folk will partition, and locate all of the user's DOC files onto the partition. Then, they'll set up a backup scheme for, say just the D:\ with the DOC's, etc.. Still, this is NOT for an NLE system, and a full backup is better IMO, than just the one partition.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Defragmentation tools
                  nealeh Level 5

I'm partitioning for a dual boot system (Vista32/W7-64). If I can get everything working in W7-64 the Vista partition will go. Three disks would be nice, but I've got to go with what I've got so my boot hard disk will have Vista / W7-64 and Applications, the other disk will have my data.

Having spent most of today trying different defragmenters I've found none that dealt with protected system files. This prevented Vista from being able to shrink its partition by more than a couple of hundred MB.

But, in my search, I found I had a licensed copy of Paragon Partition Manager from 2007 that I'd forgotten about. When shrinking a partition it deals with all the file moving (including system file relocation) so I'm all sorted now. So later today (it's 02:00 here at present) its the W7 64bit installation!!

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Defragmentation tools
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Glad that you found that partition manager. I have not used that one, but did use Partition Magic (was later Symantec) to do similar. That was some long time ago, back when I used to beta test OS's and the like. That was also before hot-swappable boot discs.

As you test, just go a bit slowly, as the OS will see your partitioned physical HDD as two physical HDD's, and expect reads/writes to go more quickly than will be possible. This is natural with any partitions. Don't overstress the system with too much editing too quickly, and you should be fine - be patient and good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Defragmentation tools
                      nealeh Level 5

Annoyingly the W7-64 installation has not gone well. W7 itself installed fine, but it didn't create the expected dual-boot and it does not see my second physical drive at all. Fortunately I was able to recover my original V32.

I have some message posts on the neosmart forums so hopefully someone will be able to propose a fix.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Defragmentation tools
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I wish that I could help, but it's been so long ago, that I did a dual-boot system (about NT4 & Win2K) for beta testing an OS, that what I did then would likely not come close to applying with your OS's.

Good luck, and please share what you do to fix the situation.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Defragmentation tools
                          nealeh Level 5

By gum, those lads at neosmart are good!

The problem was the circumstances of my hardware and software choices.

• My hardware includes two physical drives.
                          • My software was W7-64 Ultimate.

W7-64 Ultimate allows for system encryption (bitlocker). When it is installed on a PC with more than one physical drive it puts it's boot record on a different drive to that on which the OS is installed. I think this is to foil certain types of malware that try to take over the MBR.

So the fix was to unplug my second drive. Then when W7 is installed it sees only one physical drive and sets up dual boot automtically. After that is done, plug in the second drive.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Defragmentation tools
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Interesting info. Thanks for posting it.

While I understand the added security "features," in the recent OS's, I see far too many causing major issues for many users.

Maybe we should all just go back to a single HDD on a computer just for e-mail, some Web browsing and limited use of Office?

Personally, when I do an OS install, the first thing that I do is to turn off all of the OS's security measures, and set up my own, over which I have 100% control. Of course, I am building an editing machine, so I have different needs than is average. I am also behind a hardware firewall, and have specialized software to fill any gaps. I do not want the OS to try and give me a "one-solution-fits-all."

Your observations and info are greatly appreciated,

Hunt