6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2011 12:46 AM by smiles2011 RSS

New To Flash CS4...how to delete a Keyframe?

KateMorgan Community Member

I am new to Flash and have two questions that I cannot find an answer to in any of my books or tuts on line.

#1 I've created a motion tween for my graphic.  I have 10 keyframes in total but realized I had 1 too many.  I would like to delete it but when I go to the drop down menu to delete it...I can only delete all of them.  Or... what if I would like to delete a keyframe in the middle of my motion path?

#2.  I have a keyframe in the same motion path and I would like to move it to another frame within the time frame.  When attempt to Alt+Click and drag...it moves the entire timeline.  I wonder if there is a way to do this.  I might be missing step here that might be more advanced?

Your help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: New To Flash CS4...how to delete a Keyframe?
          Khaye2728 Community Member

Delete or modify a frame or keyframe

• To delete a frame, keyframe, or frame sequence, select it and right-click (Windows) or Control‑click (Macintosh) and select Remove Frames. Surrounding frames remain unchanged.

• To move a keyframe or frame sequence and its contents, select it and drag to the desired location.

• To extend the duration of a keyframe, Alt‑drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Macintosh) it to the final frame of the new sequence.

• To copy and paste a frame or frame sequence, select it and select Edit > Timeline > Copy Frames. Select a frame or sequence to replace, and select Edit > Timeline > Paste Frames.

• To convert a keyframe to a frame, select the keyframe and select Modify > Timeline > Clear Keyframe, or right-click (Windows) or Control‑click (Macintosh) it and select Clear Keyframe. The cleared keyframe and all frames up to the subsequent keyframe are replaced with the contents of the frame preceding the cleared keyframe.

• To copy a keyframe or frame sequence by dragging, select it and Alt‑drag (Windows) or Option-drag (Macintosh) to the new location.

• To change the length of a tweened sequence, drag the beginning or ending keyframe left or right.

• To add a library item to the current keyframe, drag the item from the Library panel onto the Stage.

• To reverse an animation sequence, select the appropriate frames in one or more layers and select Modify > Timeline > Reverse Frames. Keyframes must be at the beginning and end of the sequence.

--------------------

Delete a frame or frame sequence

• Select the frame or sequence and select Edit > Timeline > Remove Frame, or right-click (Windows) or Control‑click (Macintosh) the frame or sequence and select Remove Frame from the context menu.

Surrounding frames remain unchanged.

• 2. Re: New To Flash CS4...how to delete a Keyframe?
            Ned Murphy CommunityMVP

I don't have CS4, so my offering might not be valid.  When I want to delete a keyframe I will right click the keyframe and select either Clear Keyframe or Remove Frames.  If I want to move a keyframe, I select it, then press down on it and drag it... no keyboard buttons involved.

• 3. Re: New To Flash CS4...how to delete a Keyframe?

This is a wealth of info and much appreciated but I had already tried these.  The only choices I am given are "frames"  in plural form.  So when I right click and select delete "frames" it deletes the entire path.  It seems I cannot pick a single keyframe on the timeline.  Could this be because I am trying to move or delete a keyframe that is embedded in a Motion Tween path?

When I wish to just move a Keyframe and its content to another spot..I do click and drag it to the new frame but it drags the timeline along with it.  If I move it to the right than the first Keyframe is moved the same distance over as the one I am moving and leaves blank frames.

I must be doing something that makes Flash select "all of the frames and or Keyframes" when I only wish to select one.

• 4. Re: New To Flash CS4...how to delete a Keyframe?
                jendehaan Community Member

Hi Kate,

To move a frame, Ctrl/Cmd - click it and drag that single one to a new location. It won't drag the entire span.

To remove all property keyframes on a single frame, select it (Ctrl/Cmd-click), right-click and choose Clear Keyframe > All (or one of the other options if you just want to remove a type of keyframe. Remove frames also works for an individual frame like this too, but it removes the frame, not just clearing the keyframe.

New motion spans allow you the flexibility to animate independent properties, which is why there is the additional options more than just Clear Keyframe.

You can also remove individual property keyframes in the motion editor.

Hope that helps.

• 5. Re: New To Flash CS4...how to delete a Keyframe?

Thanks so much...  It was the Ctl-click that was the key. 

• 6. Re: New To Flash CS4...how to delete a Keyframe?
                    smiles2011

Thanks for asking this question and thanks to the replies.i'm a beginner and was wondering abt the same problem.