I cannot continue with PP4 beyond creating a Project and importing an MPEG-2 file. This is true whether I capture from my video camera or I import a file previously captured using PP4. When I move the file to the Source pane, it sets the beginning and end fields correctly but leaves the image area blank. If I then double click on the image area, PP4 exits and asks to send a problem report to Adobe. At no time have I been able to populate the Timeline pane.
The program was working fine on my new computer with a fresh XP load a month ago. At that point I had one disk drive. I imported, edited and burned a video.
Since then I have added a RAID setup for proper video processing. However since then I have only been able to capture .mpeg files, not process them. I have minimal add-ins and extra software, other than the basic ms Ofice 07, Zone Alarm firewall, Avira antivirus, and GIMP, plus scanner and Canon camera capture software. No extra codecs, no "wierd" software, etc.
I have tried ignoring the RAID area and captured and processed to the C: drive, to mimic the setup that worked, but there is no difference than if I use the RAID area for capture and scratch working.
I have reinstalled PP4 from scratch and applied all the fixes, with no change to the symptoms. I am a bit loath to strip out the RAID card and set-up unless it is a last resort, and I can't imagine why it would be so destructive.
The camera being used is a Canon Vixia HV30 set to shoot HDV on tape at 1440x1080 60i.
The rest of the 16 question info is:
1. The codecs used in your source clips (use the FREE GSpot or MediaInfo to determine the codec)
From Mediainfo - the codecs are the native PP4, I believe.
Video MPEG Video (Component) (Version 2)
Audio MPEG Audio (Version 1) (Layer 2)
2. Premiere Pro
1. Version number 4.2.1
2. Installation language English
3. Updates applied 4.0.1 / 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.2.1
4. Project/sequence settings Default for an HDV capture
3. Operating System
1. Name XP Pro
2. Update/patch level all as of last Friday
3. Installed language EN
4. Display resolution and color depth. 3200 x 1200 16 bit
4. CPU type and speed i7 920 stock speed
5. Amount of memory (RAM) 4GB
6. Video card
1. Manufacturer XFX
2. Model 6600GT
3. Driver version NVIDIA 188.8.131.52
7. Number of monitors (displays) in use 2
8. Audio card
1. Manufacturer EVGA Classified on-board Audio
3. Driver version
9. Each hard drive's capacity and space remaining
C: 69.2 GB 33.6GB Free VelociRaptor
E: 130 GB 121GB Free 2 x VelociRaptor RAID 0
F: 279 GB 208GB Free 2 x VelociRaptor RAID 0
RAID is provided by an ARECA 1212
1. Disk setup (partitions used, raid configuration, what is where for OS/projects/media/scratch/audio)
Each drive is set as a Basic disk using NTFS
I have used 2 configurations
1 uses C: for all working, - capture, scratch, etc
the other uses E: for scratch, F: for other working
10. Hardware capture device N/A
3. Driver version number
11. Capture software PP4
3. Version 4.2.1
12. Comprehensive list of third-party plug-ins you installed.
13. Exact text of any error messages None – closes PP4 with a request to e-mail Adobe with crash info
14. Explain clearly what you want to do, what you are doing and what the result is
15. Be sure to mention if it is something that worked before using the same procedure
16. Very importantly: Post details of troubleshooting you have already done to avoid "did that" reponses to questions people ask when trying to help.
The attached file includes the Mediainfo image from one of the lips I have tried
Any suggestions on where to go from here will be greatly appreciated.
ps. I'm not permanently on-line so please excuse any delay in me responding.