3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2009 1:23 PM by olegkon

AIR and Excel 2007

olegkon Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to find a Flex tool/lib to read/write Excel 2007 files (including XSLX).

Have to do it from AIR app (would be useful with Flex apps too).

Does anybody know whether AS3XLS lib supports XSLX format ?

Please help !

TIA,

Oleg.

• 1. Re: AIR and Excel 2007
          Jeff Battershall Level 1

Unfortunately, AS3XLS does not support the later Excel file formats, at

least last time I checked and it does not appear that the project is getting

much attention at this point.  I tried using it for an AIR project and had

some limited success, but eventually had to abandon it in favor of a

server-side solution (Apache POI).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AIR and Excel 2007
            olegkon Level 1

I found out that XLSX is a compressed XML format.

Here is a discussion on that (in C#, which one can connect to via Merapi, although I don't know either one):

http://www.developerfusion.com/article/6170/read-and-write-open-xml-files-ms-office-2007/

Probably there should be a better description on MSDN, haven't found good one yet.

How do you deal with compressed file (read / write) in ActionScript ?

I just need to be able to edit XLSX data (no formulas or graphs) in DataGrid in AIR file.

Can anybody give some useful pointers ?

Please advise.

TIA,

Oleg.

• 3. Re: AIR and Excel 2007
              olegkon Level 1

I tried to look into details of XLSX, so created a tiny spreadsheet in Excel 2007 (size - 9KB zipped) and opened it in WinZip.

It created a complex file structure with 6 directories and 12 files, mostly XMLs.

I found that it writes data to 2 files:   :   xl/sharedStrings.xml  &  xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml

That is a way too complex to figure out & implement without running into a lot of troubles.

So I decided to change approach and switch to using Apache POI framework (XSSF), with Blaze in between.
              POI API is not too complex: http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/quick-guide.html

Can anybody suggest how to architect/design an AIR app which can read Excel 2007 XLSX file (via POI),

get data into a DataGrid, user updates it and saves into XLSX ?

Do I need a separate Java Servlet ?

Communicate AIR-to-servlet via HTTPService ?  FileStream ?  XML Object ?  sockets ?

How do I read/write a file from AIR app via Java ?

Please help !

TIA,

Oleg.