• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 corrupts project in version control.

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2009 Dec 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a large service manual that was working perfectly in RH7.  My system updated to RH8.0.2.2** and then I lost a large part of the project and hundreds of links were broken.  After unstalling and downgrading to the 8.0.1 version everything worked again on my computer.

Now, my colleague who is running RH8.0.1 (same version as me) logged in and not only did similar topics dissapear, days worth of global variables dissapeared.  I am so angry i can hardly see straight to type.

After another lost day, I have my system restored and all of my data seems to be here.  My colelague still has the same problem so i am going to check out all so he can't corrupt my data.

I am under the gun right now, my project is due first thing Friday morning and my assistant is dead in the water.

We have tried deleting the .cpd file multiple times.  We have even overwrote all of the files with a zipped version of my folder which helped until version control checked this out and hosed the files.

Currently, i took the project out of version control, restored my working version, checked it out (all good) then put this back into version control under a new name.  Same problem on his box but my project looks ok for the moment.  Any ideas?

I started this problem in a different thread "RH8 Broke Hundreds of Links" but I am starting a new one for the problem on the other system.

Thanks

dv

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2009 Dec 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might help to include a link to the other thread but the simple fact is that without 802 you can continue to hit this problem no matter how many times you repair a project. That is why is disagreed with your earlier comment telling people not to install it.

I really feel for you and the predicament in which you find yourself but I do think the only solution is to apply 802 and fix the problem, that is why I asked Gravenstein to come into the other thread to pass on her advice. She uses source control, I do not.

I am also trying to get some instructions together for source control users but it may be a day or two before they are complete. What I have been told is that you need to check out all the FPJs, fix the broken links and then check back in. After that, all users need to delete their local CPDs and take fresh copies of the project. Not sure if that makes sense as, like I said, I don't use source control. It is those steps that I am trying to get validated.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2009 Dec 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am checking out all for security so others can't make any changes. I will wait until Gravenstein comments before making any changes. We were not having any problems until the 802 updated my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2009 Dec 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was referring to the comments Gravenstein made in your previous thread.

It's not so much 802 made changes as it revealed the problems caused by the bug.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp