8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2009 4:02 PM by MichaelVash7

Problem with previewing videos.  And a second question

MichaelVash7

I'm using CS4.  So I got this program in last week and have been working on learning some of the tricks for it.  I'm recording most of my footage in HD.  When viewing fottage in the Source player it's fine, but when I actually use the preview player, the one to the far right by default, the video is choppy and hangs, pretty sure it's just using a bit too much of my resources currently, I don't care about seeing the preview player video in HD,what can I do to make the preview player use less resources but still keep my videos in HD format so that when I export they are still in 720p or 480p.  I know it has to do with creating a new sequence, but can't figure out which setting I need to change and to what.

Second, sometimes I'm only able to record footage in 480p because of various reasons, I have the ability to record in 720p most of the time, the problem is when I have a project that involves both resolutions.  I can only see 4 options, 1 record the 720p stuff in 480p when the project involves 480p, 2 scale the 480p video up to "720" (and yes I know this isn't ideal but for my projects this may actually work), 3 add the 480p footage in and simply let it be smaller than the 720p footage and last, make 2 different videos one for the 720 one for the 480, and have my video be 2 parts.  Is there any option I missed?  I do not believe I can have mutlple sequences per video file, is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Problem with previewing videos.  And a second question
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

On the playback in the Program Monitor, look at the top of your Timeline, and tell us what color bar is there, if there is one.

It could be that your footage needs to be Rendered for smoother playback (red line indicates this), or that there is a mistmatch between the footage and the Sequence Preset (yellow line tells you this). If there is no line, or a green line, then it could be a bit of a bottleneck with either the CPU (most likely if you have AVCHD footage), or the I/O sub-system, i..e your HDD's for other HD footage. HD can be pretty intensive on playback, but there are some things that one can do to improve things.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem with previewing videos.  And a second question
            MichaelVash7 Level 1

Great input, I see that there is a red line at the top of my timeline, I didn't know what it meant in the past.  Is there a way I can make sure the sequence matches up to the video I'm importing?  I've looked at the properties for the videos in premiere and played around with new sequences a bit, but can't seem to make the red line in the timeline go away.  Is there a good place that breaks down the new sequence options, most of it is self-explanitory but some I'm not as sure about.  I got this through college, so I don't have the manuals.

Edit:  The video is Mp4 (though the video camera I used makes 720p .Mov and has the red line as well) I know the video plays in Flowplayer flashplayer if you are familiar with it.  I can record in other formats, I just figured Mp4 was the best.  Would recording in M2TS or TS be a better option with CS4.

Message was edited by: MichaelVash7

• 3. Re: Problem with previewing videos.  And a second question
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you saw the red line. Hitting the Enter key will Render your Timeline. It can be limited, by using the WAB (Work Area Bar), in the same area of the timeline. It has a little "bracket" at each end, and you can drag them to limit the WAB. I use this a lot, when I am Keyframing animation and only want to Render a small area. [Note: the WAB can also be used to limit one's Export too.]

Is there a way I can make sure the sequence matches up to the video I'm importing?

If you generate the footage, the easiest way to get full determination of its properties, is to note the camera's settings. If you did not shoot the footage, then the freeware utility, G-Spot, will give you all of the info. If necessary, you can do a Desktop Preset (Custom) for your Sequence to make it match your footage. Say your footage was 640 x 320 @ 25 fps. You could set those parameters in your Desktop Sequence settings. You want to match your Project/Sequence to your footage. If you need another size for output, you do that in Adobe Media Encoder (AME).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problem with previewing videos.  And a second question
                MichaelVash7 Level 1

Thanks Hunt, after rendering it ran perfectly, I thought for sure it was bottlenecking in the ram or processor.

Is there any free Premiere tutorial sites you or anyone else can recommend?  If I had any idea that the red bar meant anything it would of helped out a lot.  Adobe.tv has some tutorials that are helpful, but it'd be great to have another in case I can't find a tutorial on Adobe.tv.

• 5. Re: Problem with previewing videos.  And a second question
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Is there any free Premiere tutorial sites you or anyone else can recommend?

There are two that immediately spring to mind:

The PrPro-Wiki Tutorial section and then the more specific Wrigley Video Productions site. On Curt's site, be sure to look at older versions tutorials, as most will apply, with but a few changes, to CS4.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I also recommend Curt's book, Adobe Classroom in a Book for Premiere CS4.

• 6. Re: Problem with previewing videos.  And a second question
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Also, work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting if you have other problems

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link

• 7. Re: Problem with previewing videos.  And a second question
                      MichaelVash7 Level 1

Hunt, thanks, I've considered the classroom in a book, may end up picking that up.

John, thanks for the links, I'll keep those in mind when I deicde to upgrade.

• 8. Re: Problem with previewing videos.  And a second question
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I've considered the classroom in a book, may end up picking that up.

It's a good one. In some of the CiaB series, much of the material is all on the "how," and little on the "why." Curt does a good balancing act with the Premiere book.

I think you'll enjoy it,

Hunt