5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2008 12:39 PM by Jasconius

Flex compiled SWF only runs in browser

Jasconius
      I have a Flex 3 project that is rather largish (6-7 megs). When I view this SWF in a web browser (by running, debugging, or exporting release build) it works just fine.

Right now I need to create either a Windows Projector out of it or I need to turn it into an AIR application.

When I try either, everything falls apart.

If I duplicate all the source code and assets into an Adobe Air project, I get no build errors, but when I launch the application, the EXE does indeed start, but it never draws on screen. It just sucks up RAM and CPU and nothing ever happens.

If I just try to run the web generated SWF file using Flash Player I just get blank screen, it doesn't even give me an "Initializing" load bar.

I have no idea why this is happening, I have no build errors whatsoever... it's just a weird bug.

Does anyone know of anything, code wise, that would cause these symptoms?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Flex compiled SWF only runs in browser
          Garyl Woolworth Level 1
          When you say you are duplicating the source code and assets into an Adobe Air Project does that mean you are also overwriting the WindowedApplication back to Application? Does launching the Air Project within debug mode does it ever actually stop at a point or does it think nothing is wrong?
          • 2. Re: Flex compiled SWF only runs in browser
            Jasconius Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: Kaotic101
            When you say you are duplicating the source code and assets into an Adobe Air Project does that mean you are also overwriting the WindowedApplication back to Application? Does launching the Air Project within debug mode does it ever actually stop at a point or does it think nothing is wrong?

Ahh, good call, I have never done anything in Air before so that actually solved the Air problem.

But that doesn't apply to the SWF not working independently though... I would like to have that one figured out before I am predicting the client is going to want it to be projector style.

Unless there is some way to make an AIR app run without going through the install process... is there?
            • 3. Re: Flex compiled SWF only runs in browser
              Garyl Woolworth Level 1
              No there is no way to make run with out first installing it. They made it that way on purpose to allow AIR applications to be signed / not signed to help the user know whether it's something they should trust or not. To create a projector you are going to have to revert back to Flash to produce that. You could try loading your Flex swf into Flash CS 3 swf using a loader and see if it has any problems but that's going to leave you with 2 files and not a simple executable.
              • 4. Re: Flex compiled SWF only runs in browser
                Jasconius Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: Kaotic101
                No there is no way to make run with out first installing it. They made it that way on purpose to allow AIR applications to be signed / not signed to help the user know whether it's something they should trust or not. To create a projector you are going to have to revert back to Flash to produce that. You could try loading your Flex swf into Flash CS 3 swf using a loader and see if it has any problems but that's going to leave you with 2 files and not a simple executable.

That's fine actually but that's the problem is that it is not working. If I attempt to embed it into a CS 3 swf it just comes up black with 0x0 dimensions, and if I run the web SWF al a carte it will bring up Flash Player but just a blank screen.

You can generate projectors right from Flash Player and skip the embed but none of that is working.