13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2009 12:26 AM by Curt Wrigley

.MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???

Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

Importing .MTS videos from my Sony HDR-XR500V, the videos viewed through my Source Monitor tend to be pixelated throughout the video. In inclusion to this, the video also seems a tad bit laggy at times. The weird thing is, when I pause the video (in order to get a screen shot of the pixelated screen) the video tends to fix itself within 1 second? As in throughout the video, the pixels on the screen seem to jump and appear as square boxes of different colors through the Source Monitor, but when I pause the video, the video readjusts its quality error; the video itself also seems a tad bit laggy?

Can someone help me with this; my camera runs off 1080 60i HD and should not be faced with this problam at all. I have a Windows Vista, that is a relatively fast computer, and I can't solve the source to this problem.

The Video properties include... (maybe if it might help)

File Path: J:\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM\00119.MTS
      Type: MPEG Movie
      File Size: 29.4 MB
      Image Size: 1920 x 1080
      Pixel Depth: 32
      Frame Rate: 29.97
      Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - 6 channels
      Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - 6 channels
      Total Duration: 00:00:14:15
      Average Data Rate: 2.0 MB / second
      Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

• 1. Re: .MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

By default the program monitor is set to "Automatic quality".  With this setting PPRO will show video at lower resolution during playback IF the video doesnt match the sequence settings or there are effects that cannt be previewed in real time at full resolution.

You can change the setting (flyout menu) to "High Quality" to keep resolution at full; at the expense of a lower frame rate during preview.  Of course rendering will allow playback at normal speed/full resolution.

• 2. Re: .MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???
            Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

Edit: When I made the clip into High Quality, the video feed seemed a little bit more laggy than as compared to Automatic Quality, but the video itself seemed to not show any signs of pixelated disturbances...

My camera is HD, so it should have no problem (quality wise) when adapted through Production Premiere (CS4)

_________

Can someone tell me why, when I make a video clip that I have imported, into high quality, the audio is perfectly in tune, no hiccups, but the video is way more apparantly laggy, than as to using Automatic Quality?

• 3. Re: .MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

What preset did you use for the sequence?

Is there a red line above your clips on the timeline?

What are the specs on your PC?

• 4. Re: .MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

Ryanneedshelp27 wrote:

Can someone tell me why, when I make a video clip that I have imported, into high quality, the audio is perfectly in tune, no hiccups, but the video is way more apparantly laggy, than as to using Automatic Quality?

I answered this in Post #1

• 5. Re: .MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???
                  Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

What preset did you use for the sequence?

Preset I have used: AVCHD 1080i30 (60i)

"Video; Display Format: Timecode"
                  "Audio; Display Format: Audio Samples"
                  "Capture; Capture Format: HDV"                      

-- I included these, which precedes the available presets, to make fully sure I set my stuff correctly

Is there a red line above your clips on the timeline?

Yes, there is a red line above the clip I imported on the timeline.

What are the specs on your PC?

Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50 GHz 2.50 GHz
                  Memory (RAM): 6.00 GB
                  System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Model: p6107c

___

Thank you so much for your help so far!

• 6. Re: .MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

Based on this info; your system is behaving normally.

AVCHD video is very difficult to edit smoothly on today's hw/sw.  You need a monster PC to edit AVCHD smoothly, without studdering.

When you render or export the playback will be smooth.  The machine/sw isnt fast enough to do real time previews of native avchd.

AVCHD is a consumer format for highly compressed HD video.  Its designed for playback ; not editing.

Edit:  Just noticed you have a red line.  This indicates your source video format and sequence settings dont match.  This will make playback even harder.  Make sure you know the format of your source video and choose a preset that matches.

• 7. Re: .MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???
                      Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

So when I export, say to YouTube, the video will run smoothly? When I imported the AVCHD files to my Mac Laptop, through iMovie 8.0 (which is really bad, because they don't offer any video fx effects) the video playback, through iMovie's video-feed monitor, ran extremely smoothly (there was no video pixelation or audio problems).

And the video quality won't be at all noticably compressed, as compared to me using FinalCut and uploading the video to YouTube?

And how monster of a PC would you need for the video to run smoothly? o.o

Edit: Wait, huh!? My presets don't match? Does that mean the first window of presets, or second window, when first creating a new project? Or is it both?

And I thought I got all the presets right...

• 8. Re: .MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

Ryanneedshelp27 wrote:

So when I export, say to YouTube, the video will run smoothly?

Yes

Ryanneedshelp27 wrote:

Edit: Wait, huh!? My presets don't match? Does that mean the first window of presets, or second window, when first creating a new project? Or is it both?

And I thought I got all the presets right...

When you do File/New Sequence  you must set the sequence (via a preset typically) to match the source video attributes.

• 9. Re: .MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???
                          Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

Okay I did what you said File >> New>> Sequence

And I choose which one that I knew matched my preset and when I imported clips to that particular sequence, the video clips on the Timeline showed no red line above!!!

Maybe what I did was create a New Sequence with the wrong presets, as I was trying to figure out my presets, and I never went to delete that sequence and as I was adding clips, it was to the wrong old/original sequence.

The only problem for me now is that there are pixelated disturbances (I don't know proper term) throughout various parts of my video. Although you told me that when I export the video will playback just fine, so there is no issue there.

I am stil wondering howcome my Mac laptop (iMovie 8.0) identified the AVCHD with MUCH eaze and the playback worked perfectly, but for a PC, I would need a "monster" one?

• 10. Re: .MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???
                            Curt Wrigley Level 4

Ryanneedshelp27 wrote:

I am stil wondering howcome my Mac laptop (iMovie 8.0) identified the AVCHD with MUCH eaze and the playback worked perfectly, but for a PC, I would need a "monster" one?

Imovie is designed for consumer video/ease of use.  PPRO is designed primarily for professional formats.

If imovie works like FCP; it converts avchd into something easier to edit when it imports.   PPRO edits media in its native format.

BTW; You can render the timeline to see smooth playback.  Press Enter

• 11. Re: .MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???
                              Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

Where would I press enter specifically, but I can't seem to find what you're saying is simply findable through pressing enter?

• 12. Re: .MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???
                                Curt Wrigley Level 4

Pressing Enter causes the timeline to render.

• 13. Re: .MTS Source Monitor Video feed seems to be pixelated???
                                  Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

Thank you so much for your help.

Well, I'm off to bed!

Edit: Last question, what is the highest video codec quality for Windows?