9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2009 7:34 AM by the_wine_snob

Got four in a frame ( pip ) lots of slivers.

pexile Level 1

I split one long clip into smaller clips all different durations then started to do a p.i.p. on four timelines making up a quad visual. When I started putting the clips together premiere started chopping little bits off the clips so that one on top would line up with one on the bottom etc. I ended up with a nightmare of these tiny little bits of clips all over the place and getting the larger clips to stay put was a task in itself resulting in even more slivers. I am sure there is some setting that I can turn off to prevent this, I hope. Could someone tell me how to do this please.

• 1. Re: Got four in a frame ( pip ) lots of slivers.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're wrestling with the program's ripple function. By default, the program will split and/or move aside your other clips when you add a new clip to your timeline. (A function that, most of the time, is desirable.)

To override the ripple function, hold down the Ctrl key as you add your new clips and the other clips will remain in place.

• 2. Re: Got four in a frame ( pip ) lots of slivers.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

One way to get a 2x2 matrix would be to place each edited Clip onto separate Video Tracks, one above the other. Then, use the fixed Effects>Motion, Scale and Motion>Position, on each to get what you want. For similar, I like to use the alignment grids (available HERE), to get my alignment correct. I will create a Grid with the 4 "windows" shown as guide lines, and then alter Opacity in my image Clips, until I have things like I want. After I am satisfied, I turn Opacity back to 100% and remove my "alignment grids."

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Got four in a frame ( pip ) lots of slivers.
              pexile Level 1

I am grateful for your answer but not quite sure how it relates to the problem of little bits of files getting chopped off because premiere wants everything to be in alignment from timeline above to the one below so trims the clips so they line up with each other from top to bottom most of the time. When I try to move a clip onto the top timeline that is longer than one below premiere moves the lower clips to the tail end of the upper clip leaving a gap sort of like this.

lllllllllllllppppppmmmm                                     [ pip ur]

lllllllppp        m           mmm                           [ pip ul]

lllllllllllllllpppp           mmmmm                          [ pip lr]

llllllpppp          mmmmm                                [ pip ll ]

with little bits of clips in between or after as in the second row down. I hope this explains it a little better. When I try and slowly and carefully move the 'm' clips back into contact with the 'p' clips it gets ever worse with lots of clips moving and more slivers of clips showing up all over the place. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or is it something with the way premiere elements works??? The example above is not exact but sort of like the things it does.

• 4. Re: Got four in a frame ( pip ) lots of slivers.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you using the PiP Presets?

If so, my method bypasses those and allows complete control over your PiP's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Got four in a frame ( pip ) lots of slivers.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When one gets little slivers of a Clip, it is most likely that they have Snap on and are forcing the Head of Clip past that Snap mark. Little slivers do get lopped off. To keep this from happening, I find it useful to zoom in on the Timeline, especially in the horizontal view, and then not be too forceful when butting Clips up. If one forces it, Snap will cut off frames. These often get left behind, as edits are tightened up, and are the major cause of "orphans" out past the edited end of the Timeline. These are usually 1- 2 Frames in length.

When butting Clips, go slowly and watch the Edit Line (beneath the CTI - Current Time Indicator), and watch it change its display - that indicates that you have butted the Clips up perfectly using Snap.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Got four in a frame ( pip ) lots of slivers.
                    pexile Level 1

Does that also account for the clips jumping around when they don't match in duration??? Oh yes thatkyou for your reply, I was a little bit suspicious of that myself as I was getting a bit impatient with the clips not wanting to stay in place and most likely pushed too hard. The other thing is that in the past using elements 2 I had the same problem only under different circumstances. Placing a clip on another timeline caused the clips below to move out of place but not every time. They seem to have some kind of function that wants to align the clips.

• 7. Re: Got four in a frame ( pip ) lots of slivers.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The jumping around is likely caused by the Ripple Edit function, as Steve Grisetti mentioned. Holding down Ctrl, while placing your Clips should stop that behavior.

One question: do your Clips have muxed Audio with them? For PiP, you'll want to only have one Audio Track at a time. Obviously, when working with different Durations, you will have a bit more work, unless you're deleting the muxed Audio and replacing it all with a master Audio Track, or a Soundtrack. Sometimes, having Audio "banging" around, and often on unseen Audio Tracks, can cause things to not fit together smoothly. Just a thought.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - as for the shearing of Frames, I first noticed that upon the release of PrE 4. In PrPro, you just cannot "jam" past the Edit Line with Snap ON. Now, one way around that would be to turn Snap OFF, BUT that comes with another issue. As you go past the butt-cut position, you'll alter the In & Out Points of your Clips. This is most likely something that you will not want.

• 8. Re: Got four in a frame ( pip ) lots of slivers.
                        pexile Level 1

Many thanks for your time and effort into what should have been a no brainer for anyone else. I guess even at my age I am still impetuous and quick to do things without giving proper thought and effort with the small things that matter. Thank you once again. I think I have got it now. I just uploaded to YOutube with what I ended up with before I posted the query and it is not that a critical issue with this one but could be in the future. Psinckl @ Youtube.

• 9. Re: Got four in a frame ( pip ) lots of slivers.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Don't worry about taking your time to get to the bottom of the problem. It took me a try, or two, before I realized what was happening. Had I not experienced the same and looked into the cause, back with the release of PrE 4, I would have been stymied as to the cause too. That behavior does not exist in PrPro, at least not that I have observed. When I first got PrE 4, and began playing with it, I was doing things pretty much as I had done for years in PrPro. Bang! Next thing I knew, I had sheared off a bunch of Frames. I could not understand what had happened. I then went more slowly, and it was not happening. I kept playing with it, until I WAS able to duplicate the situation, and realized that it was the "force" that I was exerting, when I butted-up the Clips. With just the right amount of "force," I could get that shearing every time. I then realized why so many PrE users were posting that they were finding "orphan" Frames out beyond where they thought their Timeline should end.

What they were doing was loading a lot of Clips in the Timeline, and then using the Scissors/Razor Tool to Trim their Clips (not doing the Trim in the Source Monitor with set In & Out-points. They'd be left with a gap (they could have used the Rt-click>Delete and Close Gap) and were quickly moving the edited Clip against the preceding one with enough force to shear off a Frame, or two. These were going to the end of the Timeline. After completing their editing, they had shortened their Timeline, but those "orphans" were still out at the end of the Timeline, and without scrolling, or zooming out, could not be seen. They'd Export/Share their files and have maybe five minutes of black video, followed by a bunch of single Frames with black between them.

I always do a zoom out (using the \ Backslash key) to see the entire Timeline, and also match up what I think my Runtime should be vs what my Program Monitor reported as my Runtime. They should match 100%. In my case, I'd been known to leave little, unused Clip pieces out at the end. Most often, these were not meant to be used, but sometimes they were just forgotten by me. As the Timeline decreased, as I tightened up edits, these "orphans" were left out there in space. Sometimes I'd find something that I just forgot to add, and would move it, as required. Most often, these were just deleted, as they were discards.

One is always learning. That is what makes getting up in the morning great for me - I'm gonna' learn something new!

Happy Editing,

Hunt