If layers are blocking other layers then you can click the eye icon of whatever layers to hide/show them as desired.
As far as using the alpha property, that's okay, but you might consider using the visible property instead.
Also, for the code where you change the visibility, you can greatly reduce the amount of code by first calling a function that hides everything and following that with making the selected item visible.
Thanks very much Ned for the valuable suggestions. I will impove the action script as suggested. Regarding the visibility...i think you misunderstood the question. For some reason when i import new images to the file the bottom most layer/image is ovelayed by the new one. If i make any of the below layers invisible by cliking the eye icon then every thing is looks fine, but when i publish the file the problem persists. The situation is driving me crazy. Does it have anything to do with the excessive images i am using or any of the settins on the file? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
If it has anything to do with what I saw when I ran your file, you are probably just getting tangled in your design. There is one mantle13 sitting atop everything that has no code to tell it to hide, and one face plate that is just an image, not a movieclip, so they block everything behind them when you run the file. You may just need to take your time and be sure you have each element properly configured both on the stage and in your code.
Thanks very much for the help again. The file i sent must have been a working version but even though i handled mantle13 in the action script the problem persisted. the new image masked the bottom most one.................changing the alpha property to visible has done the trick. i dont know why but thanks very much for the suggestion or else it would have taken me ages to figure that out
You're welcome - if you still can, please mark this as answered if your problem is solved.