4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2009 3:25 AM by Mylenium

Trying to smooth the edges on CC 3d sphere

DC B. 09 Level 1

I'm trying to create the earth with the CC 3D sphere effect, but at a certain zoom the texture on the edges of the sphere becomes too pixelated. Is there any way to smooth it out?

PS. I cannot use masks and feathering because the 3D earth is moving in the shot and I cannot seem to move the mask along with it.

• 1. Re: Trying to smooth the edges on CC 3d sphere
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm not clear what you are saying here. CC Sphere is a fully parametrical sphere, so the edges are always perfectly round. any otehr issues are unrelated to the effect itself, but it is unclear to me what you are doing. Naturally, when you scale up layers or home in on 3D layers, the image resolution does not increase and pixels begin to look blocky. If that seems to be the problem, then the obvious solution is to increase the size of the layers. If it's jsut when setting the comp viewer larger than 100%, then there's nothing to worry. likewise, you are merely vioewing the same number of pixels and in relation to the screen one pixel just takes more space. If you are meaning something else, you really need to be more specific.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Trying to smooth the edges on CC 3d sphere
            DC B. 09 Level 1

I apologize. This all is quite new to me. Here's what I'm trying to achieve. Take a look at the pictures of the real Earth from space:

http://cheeju.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/earth-space002.jpg

http://researchpark.arc.nasa.gov/lecture%20series/images/Earth.jpg

Do you see that bluish/blurred edge on the earth? (Especially the first link)

Now look at my screenshot in the first post. I have this jagged pixelated edge. What I'm trying to achieve is the edge like in a real picture.

Thank you for your patience...

• 3. Re: Trying to smooth the edges on CC 3d sphere
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your original screen shot looks like you're viewing at 200%. The glow on the edge can be accomplished in a number of ways. If the image doesn't already have an alpha channel (transparency) I'd create a mask, then I'd copy the mask, paste it to a solid blue layer, feather the mask, then move it below the image.

There are about a zillion ways to do this, but they all involve separating elements and inserting effects or layers. Let me know if you need any further suggestions.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Trying to smooth the edges on CC 3d sphere
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

To get an atmosphere, simply use additional effects. You need to add solids that have the Circle effect applied to them and use the Edge mode. You can then use Inner and Outer Feather to blend it in with your sphere. You will need two or three such effects - one behind the spehere to give a basis, the others on top of it to mimic tha variations based on incidence angle.

Mylenium