4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2008 8:29 AM by jbartee

System Requirements

jbartee
      My machine locks up when trying to save or close down Captivate 3 files. Can you tell me what the system requirements should be for handling these large files? I have a IBM T61 with 1 GB Ram and 2.10 GHZ. I am actually trying to scale down my large files and daisy chain them, but the files keep locking up on me.

Please provide any help that you can and tell me what type of machines that you are working with that provides you no problems in this area.

Thanks,
      jbartee
        • 1. Re: System Requirements
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi jbartee

Your PC specs are probably fine as far as speed and RAM. I would, however ask the following.

You say "handling these large files". So how large are they? It's possible that you have simply created projects that are too large for the PC to comfortably handle. If you click the Storyboard tab in Captivate, what are the dimensions in pixels? How many slides are in your projects? Also, where are your projects stored? Storing them on a network drive can make things slow and can cause you to flirt with disaster.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: System Requirements
            jbartee Level 1
            I really appreciate your help Rick. The current project that I am working on is 707.7 KB (size), resolution is 1024 x 768 and I have 56 slides. This is one that I will try to daisy chain with when completed. Does it seem too large to you at this point? And we don't have much of the audio added to it yet.

Thanks,
            Janie
            • 3. Re: System Requirements
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Thanks for the info, Janie

Aside from being a bit large on the dimension side of things, it doesn't seem it should be presenting issues.

I used to run Captivate on a little laptop that ran about 1 GHz processor and had only 256 megs of RAM. Yeah, it was a bit slow, but it worked. Then I moved to a new Dell with 1 Gig of RAM and a Core Duo processor. Seemed to like that much better. In preparation for Vista, I upgraded RAM to 2 Gigs and a larger hard drive. Which gives me pause to think here... Are you possibly running low on free disk space?

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: System Requirements
                jbartee Level 1
                Thanks Rick. I have 47.3 GB free so I don't think that is the issue. And each time that I close a CP file my machine locks up and boots me out entirely. I have a co-worker that has this same issue. I can work around it, but it frustrates me and takes more time to boot up CP each time it locks me out.

jbartee