2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2009 1:52 PM by melmation

Extreemly odd Sound problem

melmation

Hi All.

As usual, I am mighty stuck after trying all avenues to sort out this extreemly odd and seemingly specific problem I am having.

I am using:

After Effects CS4

Windows XP

University Workstation computers

There are two labs at the university I work for, both kitted out with the Adobe CS4 suite plus other software for the variuous media courses.  In one class I tried to show someone how Sound could be imported into After Effects and it would not work (I will explain the exact problem in a bit) I tried it on my machine and it did work.  Today I ran a full class and every single student couldn't get the sound to work but it worked fine on the machine I was logged into.

After a lot of testing and trying, it boiled down to the fact that if you are logged into the computer as a staff member, After Effects works fine with sound, as in, how you would expect it to work with sound.  However, if a student is logged in, this is what happens...

The sound file will import to the project bin in After Effects with no error message.  However, it has no wave form on the thumbnail and Zero information beside the thumbnail.  You can drag it into the timeline and it appears as a grey layer.  Ram preview, rendering with audio, ctrl dragging the playhead all result in no audio output and there is no audio mute option in the timeline.  It is as if the audio file is a proxy file or a ghost file of some sort.  I have been using After Effects for over 8 years and have never witnessed this before.

The same audio file will play fine in QuickTime, WMP or anything else, but After Effects seems to just see it as a shell of a file and doesn't know what to do with it.  Whilst we are organising a work around for the students, I thought I would put the problem to you talented people as I am out of options as to what the problem could be.

- It obviously seems it could be something to do with the log in type at the university, but I don't know what type of operating system User restrictions could specifically stop an audio file from being used in After Effects.

- I have checked the disk Cache, and cecked the audio settings inside After Effects and on XP.  I have also reset the preferences file for After Effects

- This is not a preview or rendering problem.  I know how to use, render and preview audio in After Effects, it is another problem which I am not aware of, obviously.

- I have tried mp3, wav, aiff sound files and they all play fine on the same computer under student log in using a variety of software, even Premiere pro.  The same problem occurs if I import a movie clip with sound, the sound is non existent, even though it is there.  But keep in mind, if I log onto the same computer a student was using, all is fine again.

I hope someone knows what this is.  I have searched sideways on the net for a solution and I have found some people who have posted the same problem (but minus any log in accounts being a part of the problem) but they get swamped by people telling them to do a ram preview or plug their headphones in and then the actual problem never gets answered due to a everyone giving information who don't actually read the original problem.

Apologies for a long explanation but I wanted to give as much information as possible so that someone might pick up on it and know a solution.

Thanks in advance as allways and thank you for reading.

Mel

• 1. Re: Extreemly odd Sound problem
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

- It obviously seems it could be something to do with the log in type at the university, but I don't know what type of operating system User restrictions could specifically stop an audio file from being used in After Effects.

Group policies! Your users simply don't have the permission to modify, load and unload system drivers. Either up them all to the Power Users group or run gpedit.msc and find the respective option and add whatever current group you use to the list.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Extreemly odd Sound problem
            melmation Level 1

Hi Mylenium,

Thank you for your reply.  I passed it on to the relevants at Uni and they are working on the problem.  If it comes up trumps I'll mark it as the answer to the problem.

Thanks again for replying,

Melvyn