6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 8:44 AM by

DreamWeaver 8 and Vista problem

Ivae
      Alright! I want to scream. Maybe someone else who has had this problem can tell me how to fix it. I open DreamWeaver today and work on a site for about 40 minutes and all the sudden my computer freezes up. All I was running was DW8 and PS CS2. My computer has more than enough power to handle those. So, I reboot, open DW again, my computer gives me the blue screen of death and reboots. So, I start looking for solutions. I found this link and did the following:

1. Turned off Offce Groove (I am running Enterprise edition of office)
      2. Disabled the visual themes in Vista for DW.
      3. Set DW to run in compatibility mode for XP SP2.

Now, everything worked peachy for 10 minutes and now my computer randomly reboots itself with no warning whenever I have DW open for longer than 5 minutes. The system doesn't lock up like before, but just reboots. I have crawled through all my process, turned off everything that doesn't need to be on, and not much is left running, because this seems like a memory issue to me, but the way it is acting now I have to think there is just some sort of incompatibility randomly happening??

This is seriously upsetting because I need to work on a website this weekend while I actually have time instead of spending HOURS trying to get it to work.

And please, no suggestions about getting rid of Vista, not an option, and I happen to like it well enough.

Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: DreamWeaver 8 and Vista problem
          Level 7
          > Alright! I want to scream. Maybe someone else who has had this problem can
          > tell
          > me how to fix it. I open DreamWeaver today and work on a site for about 40
          > minutes and all the sudden my computer freezes up. All I was running was
          > DW8
          > and PS CS2. My computer has more than enough power to handle those. So, I
          > reboot, open DW again, my computer gives me the blue screen of death and
          > reboots. So, I start looking for solutions. I found
          > http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb400788 and did
          > the
          > following:
          >
          > 1. Turned off Offce Groove (I am running Enterprise edition of office)
          > 2. Disabled the visual themes in Vista for DW.
          > 3. Set DW to run in compatibility mode for XP SP2.
          >
          > Now, everything worked peachy for 10 minutes and now my computer randomly
          > reboots itself with no warning whenever I have DW open for longer than 5
          > minutes. The system doesn't lock up like before, but just reboots. I have
          > crawled through all my process, turned off everything that doesn't need to
          > be
          > on, and not much is left running, because this seems like a memory issue
          > to me,
          > but the way it is acting now I have to think there is just some sort of
          > incompatibility randomly happening??

Random reboots is indicative of bad or poor quality memory. But you can
          blame Dreamweaver if it will make you feel better :-)

• 2. Re: DreamWeaver 8 and Vista problem
            Level 7
            Or system overheating....

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"Ted Dawson" <nobody@home.anytime> wrote in message
            news:g335ef$t5t$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> Alright! I want to scream. Maybe someone else who has had this problem
            >> can tell
            >> me how to fix it. I open DreamWeaver today and work on a site for about
            >> 40
            >> minutes and all the sudden my computer freezes up. All I was running was
            >> DW8
            >> and PS CS2. My computer has more than enough power to handle those. So, I
            >> reboot, open DW again, my computer gives me the blue screen of death and
            >> reboots. So, I start looking for solutions. I found
            >> http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb400788 and
            >> did the
            >> following:
            >>
            >> 1. Turned off Offce Groove (I am running Enterprise edition of office)
            >> 2. Disabled the visual themes in Vista for DW.
            >> 3. Set DW to run in compatibility mode for XP SP2.
            >>
            >> Now, everything worked peachy for 10 minutes and now my computer randomly
            >> reboots itself with no warning whenever I have DW open for longer than 5
            >> minutes. The system doesn't lock up like before, but just reboots. I have
            >> crawled through all my process, turned off everything that doesn't need
            >> to be
            >> on, and not much is left running, because this seems like a memory issue
            >> to me,
            >> but the way it is acting now I have to think there is just some sort of
            >> incompatibility randomly happening??
            >
            >
            >
            > Random reboots is indicative of bad or poor quality memory. But you can
            > blame Dreamweaver if it will make you feel better :-)

• 3. Re: DreamWeaver 8 and Vista problem
              Ivae Level 1
              If it is simply bad memory, then explain to me why I can run 8 other programs at once with no problems, but the minute I use Dreamweaver, even by itself, it freezes or reboots my computer? To me, it only makes sense there is some sort of conflict. I can use all of my Photoshop programs and every other program in the Studio 8 suite except Dreamweaver with no problems at all. My memory is Kingston, and only 6 months old. Like I said, I thought memory as well except my computer can handle anything running except Dreamweaver.

I also had to uninstall and reinstall DW because when I opened the program it told me there was an error with my application and I had to reinstall the software to fix it and then shut itself down. I tried running a repair from the disk and it didn't work, so I had to uninstall and reinstall the software, and it is still having problems.
              • 4. Re: DreamWeaver 8 and Vista problem
                Level 7
                .oO(Ivae)

>If it is simply bad memory, then explain to me why I can run 8 other programs
                >at once with no problems, but the minute I use Dreamweaver, even by itself, it
                >freezes or reboots my computer?

This can indeed happen. Not very likely, though, but possible.

Different applications cause a different load on the memory. It's not
                just the amount of memory used, but also the kind of data that's stored
                and in what way it changes. Some particular data structure and changing
                patterns cause real stress on the memory cells, which might cause flawed
                modules to fail.

This happened here some years ago. My system totally froze suddenly from
                time to time. It wasn't reproducable. Sometimes it worked well for days,
                on other days it was almost unusable.

Then I did a stress test with a program called memtest (it's still
                available in various versions). And it crashed the system on _every_
                single test, so it was definitely a memory issue. After changing the
                modules to some better ones the problem completely vanished.

>To me, it only makes sense there is some sort
                >of conflict. I can use all of my Photoshop programs and every other program in
                >the Studio 8 suite except Dreamweaver with no problems at all. My memory is
                >Kingston, and only 6 months old.

OK, Kingston is not that bad. But I would still give other modules a try
                if possible. Maybe you can talk to your dealer if you can try out some
                others or change the ones you have now? Memory is a critical component,
                and even brand modules can have flaws.

> I also had to uninstall and reinstall DW because when I opened the program it
                >told me there was an error with my application and I had to reinstall the
                >software to fix it and then shut itself down. I tried running a repair from the
                >disk and it didn't work, so I had to uninstall and reinstall the software, and
                >it is still having problems.

You could make a disk image after a successful install. This might save
                some time if things go that wrong again.

Micha
                • 5. Re: DreamWeaver 8 and Vista problem
                  Level 7
                  > If it is simply bad memory, then explain to me why I can run 8 other
                  > programs
                  > at once with no problems, but the minute I use Dreamweaver, even by
                  > itself, it
                  > freezes or reboots my computer? To me, it only makes sense there is some
                  > sort
                  > of conflict. I can use all of my Photoshop programs and every other
                  > program in
                  > the Studio 8 suite except Dreamweaver with no problems at all. My memory
                  > is
                  > Kingston, and only 6 months old. Like I said, I thought memory as well
                  > except
                  > my computer can handle anything running except Dreamweaver.
                  >
                  > I also had to uninstall and reinstall DW because when I opened the program
                  > it
                  > told me there was an error with my application and I had to reinstall the
                  > software to fix it and then shut itself down. I tried running a repair
                  > from the
                  > disk and it didn't work, so I had to uninstall and reinstall the software,
                  > and
                  > it is still having problems.

I've already said what I care to say. I'm not going to argue with you about
                  it.

• 6. Re: DreamWeaver 8 and Vista problem
                    can you tell wat will be the problem if i make a disk image after a successful install