6 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2011 3:01 PM by dergklerk

Importing .psd into Illustrator with Windows 7

hcoupland

Since installing CS3 design premium onto my new Windows 7 computer, I have run into difficulty when trying to import .psd files. Trying to import the file usually doesn't do anything. Even when I open a file with a linked .psd file, it pops up with an error message "An error occurred trying to read the linked file 'xxxxxxxxx.psd.'" Reimporting file doesn't do anything. Either nothing happens or I am told I do not have enough memory to complete the action

For the most part, I've worked around this by saving my .psd as .tiff and importing the new file format. However, when I need to import a .tiff with transparency, Illustrator it tells me that Illustrator doesn't support that type of .tiff file.

Is this a Windows 7 issue? Or something else?

I am running Windows 7 Pro, Core i7, 1.73GHz, 64-bit, 6GB RAM.

• 1. Re: Importing .psd into Illustrator with Windows 7
          Harron K. Appleman Level 4

Importing (placing) .psd images into Illustrator in a 64-bit Windows environment has been a problem for some time now.

Since you report having this problem (previously afflicting many 64-bit Win XP and Vista users) in Win 7, I am now more inclined than ever to think Adobe is at fault here. Moreover, it is unclear which Illustrator and Photoshop versions are affected. (CS3 for sure, it seems. CS2 and CS4? Maybe).

Regardless of who is to blame, you should be able to uncover many discussions and suggested workarounds on this topic in this forum via a search. For example, some users have reported success by running AI 13 (CS3) in Win XP SP2 compatibility mode. Since AI is still a 32-bit application, I don't think you'd be giving up performance by running it in a compatibility mode.

• 2. Re: Importing .psd into Illustrator with Windows 7
            kyriosity Level 1

"For example, some users have reported success by running AI 13 (CS3) in  Win XP SP2 compatibility mode. Since AI is still a 32-bit application, I  don't think you'd be giving up performance by running it in a  compatibility mode."

Can anyone explain to me how to do this?

~Valerie

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Importing .psd into Illustrator with Windows 7
              xav12181

Its simple. Just right click the program icon and go to its properties then click on the compatiblity tab. Click the checkbox that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select Windows XP in the drop down menu below the check box. Then click apply and ok to save your settings.

Capture.PNG

• 4. Re: Importing .psd into Illustrator with Windows 7
                dougmain

I struggled with this issue, reading multiple forums and FAQs but without any solution. It's a 64-bit issue. I solved my problem of not being able to place a .psd file with transparency by performing the "place" on a dummy file on a 32 bit machine. I embedded the .psd, saved the dummy .ai file on a flash drive, re-opened it Illustrator in my 64 bit machine. I could then copy/paste the object, including transparency, into my desired artwork.

• 5. Re: Importing .psd into Illustrator with Windows 7
                  markerline Level 4

Harron, Hi

I have both Vista 64-bit OS and Win7 64-bit OS and am running CS4 and CS5 suites.  I have had not a single problem Placing files into Illustrator CS4 or CS5 from Photoshop (32-bit) CS4 or (32-bit) CS5 [CS4 to CS4 and CS5 to CS5].  I cannot vouch for CS3 and I cannot troubleshoot earlier versions of CS such as CS(1) since CS(1) doesn't operate on 64-bit platforms with much success.

-markerline

• 6. Re: Importing .psd into Illustrator with Windows 7
                    dergklerk

I was having the same issue with a windows 7 machine running CS5.  Bringing in a PSD to an Illustrator file.  For me, I had set the primary scratch disk to the secondary or d:\ drive.  I also set the secondary scratch disk to the c:\ drive.  I have done this on all XP machines for years.  When I switched them back (primary = startup and secondary = d:\ drive) all was well.

Good luck,

Greg