7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 12:25 AM by tech_savvy

slow conforming

mightypants

I'm a complete newb here, so I apologize for the basic question.  I've been doing very basic video editing using Windows Movie Maker for a while--generally just a few cuts and fades--and recently got PE primarily because of it's support for more file types.  Generally, in WMM I could import an AVI in next to no time and begin editing.  I'm trying to import a rather large AVI in PE right now, and the conforming process is taking quite a while--I think I stopped it after about 15 minutes and it was at 35%.  Trying to make any edits or even move the playhead while playing has not been possible during this process.  Is this behavior normal?  Any ideas on how I can fix it?  Also, is there a manual or something more in depth than the online help info?

I'm running a Dell w/3.0 Ghz Quad processor, 4GB RAM.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: slow conforming
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Conforming is getting the Audio into 32-bit floating point form and also generating .PEK (Waveform Display) files.

Besides the CPU, this process is heavily intensive on the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's. There are a lot of very large files being written - the .CFA files.

Please tell us about your HDD's, their speed, the controller type, the amount of defragmented free space and how these HDD's are allocated.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS to give you an idea of the time span, I just Imported a 45 min. DV-AVI Type II into PrPro on a dual Xeon 3.2GHz w/ 4GB RAM and 6x SATA II 1TB HDD's. It took 5 mins. for the Conforming to complete.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: slow conforming
            mightypants Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the helpful response.  My system has 2 WD Caviar Blue Drives, each with over 200GB out of 320GB available.  The system is pretty new, so there is very little fragmented data on either.  I have my video files on the non-boot drive.

Background rendering is also moving very slowly for me.  This is a bit frustrating, because there is no noticeable delay when importing these files into Windows Movie Maker.  I know, PE does a lot of things WMM cannot, but still, this is a bit of a thorn in what I thought would be a hefty improvement to my workflow.

• 3. Re: slow conforming
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Shortly after I responded, I Imported a 1.5 +/- hour DV-AVI Type II into a PrPro Project on my workstation. I happened to time the Conforming of this Asset and it was right at 3 mins. to complete. I know that this is not a real benchmark for you, but might give you a handle on the time required. The process of Conforming seems to be very similar between PrPro and PrE. I am hampered in that I only have both programs on my laptop, and while it's very stout for a laptop, falls behind the workstation, especially in regards to the I/O sub-system.

I hope that this gives you a reference to go on. Also, the exact native format/CODEC of the Imported Asset can play a big role in the time to Conform.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: slow conforming
                mightypants Level 1

Thanks for that benchmark.  My setup is clearly moving much slower than that, any ideas why?  Also, I've now noticed that the background rendering is not just slow, it appears to be looping.  It will go from 0 to 100% over a period of several minutes, then start over again.  I'd estimate that it has done this 6 or 7 times now for the video I'm trying to work on currently.  I've only tried moving the one video file into the timeline.  All the video's thumbnails have appeared.

• 5. Re: slow conforming
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For the slow response, this ARTICLE might give you some tips on setting up your computer for an NLE session.

I do not recall if I mentioned Windows Indexing in it, but should have. This "feature" can really slow down editing work, and get in the way with Exports and Rendering. It's designed to speed up Searches, but will "lock" files, while it tries to index them. First, it cannot index AV files, or the working files in an NLE, but that does not stop it from trying. I turn it OFF for all HDD's. In XP-Pro, one needs to turn it OFF for all folders on each HDD. One could allow it for folders with DOC, etc. files, which it can index, but I just leave it OFF.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: slow conforming
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's an ARTICLE from the Encore FAQ section, on looping Transcoding. While this is not directly what you describe, there might be some commonality to your case.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: slow conforming
                      tech_savvy Level 1

I dont know about the slow conforming but the looping background rendering that you have mentioned, it actually is working on small-2 segments and for each segment on the timeline it goes from 0 to 100%. May be this can help you understand the problem in a better way.