10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2011 9:35 PM by MatthewHowell

Dual Monitor Window Location

Karl Cartwright Level 1

I have a laptop in which I use a Dual Monitor setup while its docked at work.  I undock it to use on the road, without the extra monitor.  For most everything, this is OK, as once I am out of Dual Monitor mode, new windows will appear on the single screen of the Laptop.  However, when I save as PDF within Illustrator, the PDF options screen seems to keep its place in the the virtual Dual Monitor world.  In order to get it back, I have to plug in another monitor and place it correctly (In the settings screen of Display Properties) in order have access to the window.  Then move it back to the 1st screen.  Once I make that change, its OK, and will continue to stay there until I move it.

Is there a way to reset the location of this window, without plugging in another monitor, if I find myself in this situation again?

Thanks.

kaz

• 1. Re: Dual Monitor Window Location
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Why don't you tell us about the systems you are working on?

But it might work to open the document in AI and either work there or save it out again and open that new file.

Or if need be open a new document in Acrobat and then add it as a new page the you can always delete unused page. and resave.

The way you do the blank page pdf is to go to in Acrobat File>Create PDF>Create PDF From Blank Page.

• 2. Re: Dual Monitor Window Location
            Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might try setting up a new Workspace for each configuration for each and switch between them.

• 3. Re: Dual Monitor Window Location
              shunithD Level 3

Edited: Deleted by ShunithD as being offtrack

• 4. Re: Dual Monitor Window Location
                Karl Cartwright Level 1

Thank you for the replies.

I appologize.  I am not used to the new forum layout.  I assumed I was in the Windows section.  But it appears that there is no OS specific section...

I am using Windows XP, AI CS3.

To clarify, the window I am having refering is the PDF Options screen when you save in AI as PDF (See attached).  It is not separate from AI.  Not a part of acrobat.  And it does not show up as separate window on the taskbar (Though I thank you for the arrow keys tip.  I always wondered how that worked).

Other Save as options screen reposition themselves to the main screen, it appears to just be the PDF one that does not.

Thank you for the seggestion of separate workspaces.  I am going to try that out, and will let you know.

*Edit* Workspaces have no effect on the placement of the PDF save options window.  It appears that when doing Save As, the PDF and EPS options windows are the only ones that "remember" where they were, and will appear on the monitor where they were last saved.  All other "Save As" windows default to a location on the main screen, even if they have been moved to another monitor.

Message was edited by: Karl Cartwright

• 5. Re: Dual Monitor Window Location
                  shunithD Level 3

Guess you saw my reply before i edited / deleted it... IOW, you're using email to access

I appologize.  I am not used to the new forum layout.  I assumed I was in the Windows section.  But it appears that there is no OS specific section...

I am using Windows XP, AI CS3.

That clarifies things but no need to apologise... after the forums makeover in April, the Mac and Windows Illustrator forums were merged... so, there's no longer an OS specific section for Illustrator, hence the occasional confusion.

To clarify, the window I am having refering is the PDF Options screen when you save in AI as PDF (See attached).  It is not separate from AI.  Not a part of acrobat.  And it does not show up as separate window on the taskbar (Though I thank you for the arrow keys tip.  I always wondered how that worked).

Re-reading your post, just after i replied i figured that... hence the deletion and off-track comment... But you've led me to a thought...

When you use the dual monitors, do you have AI maximised or not? If not, then try maximising it when you work in single-screen mode and see if that gets the PDF save dialog back. If not, then your best bet, and a PIA, is to do a PDF save before shutting down, with the dialog in the main window...

• 6. Re: Dual Monitor Window Location
                    Harron K. Appleman Level 4
                    Is there a way to reset the location of this window, without plugging in another monitor, if I find myself in this situation again?

During the dialog, hit Alt+Space. This should open the window menu for the dialog box. Hit M to select 'Move.' You should now be able to move the dialog box back into view using the arrow keys. Hit Esc or Enter to exit this mode. The last used position will always be saved.

• 7. Re: Dual Monitor Window Location
                      Karl Cartwright Level 1

When you use the dual monitors, do you have AI maximised or not? If not, then try maximising it when you work in single-screen mode and see if that gets the PDF save dialog back. If not, then your best bet, and a PIA, is to do a PDF save before shutting down, with the dialog in the main window...

I have tried this, but to no effect.  I have since determined that the only way to win, is not to play the game, or in this case, dont move the PDF Options Dialog window...

Thank you.

• 8. Re: Dual Monitor Window Location
                        Karl Cartwright Level 1

Harron K. Appleman wrote:

During the dialog, hit Alt+Space. This should open the window menu for the dialog box. Hit M to select 'Move.' You should now be able to move the dialog box back into view using the arrow keys. Hit Esc or Enter to exit this mode. The last used position will always be saved.

The dialog is not affected by Alt+Space, so those options ar enot available. 

• 9. Re: Dual Monitor Window Location
                          Harron K. Appleman Level 4

The dialog is not affected by Alt+Space...

Ah... indeed. Too bad.

• 10. Re: Dual Monitor Window Location
                            MatthewHowell

Hi,

I realize this reply is over a year late, but I was looking for a solution to this issue just this evening. It appears that if you go to Display Properties > Settings, you can click the second monitor (even though it's not connected), then select the Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor checkbox and click OK.

I don't recall if I had to play around with the monitor 2 resolution settings in the Settings screen at all, but what I describe above seems to at least get you on the right track to seeing your PDF settings dialog after you start the Save a Copy (PDF) process.

BTW - I am working on a Windows XP x64 machine.

Hopefully this helps someone else who is continuing to run into this situation, as I did this evening.

matthew