5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2009 9:45 AM by the_wine_snob

Can I arrange the tracks?

rickaltman Level 1

In version 8, I discovered how to add audio or video tracks to a project, but I do not like the decision that the software made about where to place it. I want to move them into better positions. Also, I would like to eliminate the Soundtrack and Narration rows.

I can't find where to perform either of these seemingly simple maneuvers. Can someone illuminate? Thanks...

• 1. Re: Can I arrange the tracks?
          -Subbi Adobe Employee

It is not possible to remove the Narration and Soundtrack, However you can Hide "Audio Tracks" altogether, by rightclicking on the left side of the timeline and choosing appropriate option.

What exactly do you mean by " I want to move them into better positions" ?

You can create multiple tracks in the timeline by just drag the desired media (Audio or Video) on the empty space above the Track1.

EM

• 2. Re: Can I arrange the tracks?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Editmachine's Show/Hide tip is as close as you can get. That comes close to the arrangement of Tracks in PrPro. There, the Video is above a central divider, with all Audio below that. Adobe found that most users of PrE wanted to work with Audio & Video Tracks related to each other, while most users of PrPro wanted to work on first the Video, and then the Audio, so they separated them. Some PrPro users wish for the arrangement from PrE, but cannot get there. At least with PrE, and Editmachine's tip, PrE users can get close to PrPro's layout - just have to toggle the view.

Personally, I like the layout in PrPro, as I always work on my Video first, and then move to my Audio. Obviously, I do not do many music-videos.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Editmachine actually taught me about the Audio-only/Video-only view modes in PrE. I did not even know that that control existed!!!!

PPS - in a perfect world, a user would be able to just click-drag on any Track to arrange the Timeline to their personal tastes, That is not yet possible through PrE 8 and PrPro CS4. Still, I'd keep things pretty much as they are in PrPro, but others would jump for joy.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Added PPS

• 3. Re: Can I arrange the tracks?
              rickaltman Level 1

Where do I find this show/hide tip?

• 4. Re: Can I arrange the tracks?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Where do I find this show/hide tip?

Rt-click in an empty area of the Timeline. Uncheck the Tracks that you wish to "hide."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can I arrange the tracks?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Note that some Tracks will not be affected. Both Narration and Soundtrack are fixed, as is Video 1 and Audio 1.

Hunt