7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2009 12:41 PM by ruffhouseutah

Image in preview monitor freezes, audio continues playing

ruffhouseutah

I've re-installed PE8, updated the nVidia drivers to 195.62 and I'm on a new Core i7/Win7-64 system with oodles of power and plenty of hard drive space... everything was working very well, for over a month, until today!

Even past projects will not play video in the preview monitor, only the audio. This just started today (same day we have problems using Get Media with flash card memory, discussed in a different post).

Also, when I try to capture, the red/green render line is entirely missing and I can't seem to figure out why...? Might that be related?

• 1. Re: Image in preview monitor freezes, audio continues playing
          JasonTTinc

This is funny in regards to the fact that I just downloaded and installed the program today, updated all my drivers, direct X, I have a beast of a machine anyway, and playback is only a jumpy 2 frames.  I have to slide the slider back and forth to see all my frames.  Was there a recent update that sabotaged playback?

• 2. Re: Image in preview monitor freezes, audio continues playing
            ruffhouseutah Level 1

I doubt it, there haven't been any updates for PE8 yet. Could be a Windows update that's interfering, though, and if you're using Win7-64 like me we might just be asking for trouble, this is really a 32-bit program. Frustrating thing is, it was working just fine until today.

This problem seems to come when I do a capture of DV footage. If I reboot the computer, I can play my past projects, but once I capture footage from the same camera I have in the past, no more video preview, it just freezes while the audio continues... and then there's no more preview for ANY project, not just the captured footage. Frustrating.

• 3. Re: Image in preview monitor freezes, audio continues playing
              JasonTTinc Level 1

The first thing I did was just capture footage.  I'm going to disconnect my camera and restart the computer.  Hopefully this isn't a firewire-in-camera-preview issue.  Maybe it's not communicating with the camera the right way via firewire or some type of hardware and not displaying correctly.

EDIT: Btw, I have Windows 7 32-bit Trial Version.  Just as good as the release fully updated.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Image in preview monitor freezes, audio continues playing
                JasonTTinc Level 1

I've disconnected my DV camera and firewire from the PC.  I get back into Premiere and my playback works.  This problem may have to do with the "importing" or "capture" hardware and what Premiere previews on.

It also may just be a playback on external device issue.  I can't narrow it down since my fix worked the first time but try disconnecting capture hardware and preview connections.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Image in preview monitor freezes, audio continues playing
                  ruffhouseutah Level 1

Funny you wrote this, because before I read it I just discovered the same thing at about the same time, and I think I figured out why this is happening...

(are you listening, Adobe? I've done some troubleshooting of your bug for you...!)

If you right-click in the preview window and choose Playback Settings, under Real-time Playback there's an option for "Desktop Video Display During Playback", which was checked (probably good), and underneath that there's a drop-down for External Device, and for some reason PE had selected "DV: 29.97 720 X 480i" instead of "None" (probably bad), as if it somehow thought I wanted to playback my video through the DV cam that I was capturing from. (I use only one monitor, so how PE8 started thinking I wanted to display on an external device, just because I connected a DV cam for capture, is really the problem).

Final Resolution:

If the DV cam is on, that's when the problem happens, even if "Desktop Vido Display During Playback" is checked (that appears to be a bug, it should play on both with that selected). The good news is, that if I change the drop-down to None, the monitor plays back just fine, regardless of what's checked or not checked above the drop-down box. And, even if None is NOT selected--if Adobe mysteriously changes over to outputting to an external device again, which it did by me just opening another project--just turning off the DV Cam enables the monitor to start working as it should.

So, you're welcome Adobe, a couple of your new customers have jointly figured out a bug for you... now PLEASE FIX IT IN THE NEXT RELEASE

• 6. Re: Image in preview monitor freezes, audio continues playing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Because a DV camera, or DV deck, can be used for playback to a calibrated NTSC (or PAL) CRT monitor for color grading, when the camera is still connected, PrE (and PrPro) think that that will be the case, and will make every effort to assist the user in doing just that. This is a case of the NLE trying to be helpful. Now, maybe it would be better for it to default to None, and to just ask the user what it is, that they really want to do.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Image in preview monitor freezes, audio continues playing
                      ruffhouseutah Level 1

It would be nice that it tries to help, by guessing that I want to also output to the connected DV Cam, if it would only work as it's designed. The selected option clearly states that it's supposed to output to both the monitor window and the device, but it does not work.

I can't complain too much, though, since I'm using a 64-bit OS, which is not officially supported. I'd be curious to see if any 32-bit users--you?--experience the same thing...

If not, hopefully the Adobe people search these threads from time to time in search of bugs they can fix for future releases... maybe this can help for the inevitable 64-bit version.