4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2009 3:05 AM by Mylenium

Optimizing Speed for 3d objects imported from Photoshop

cowboymustache

I imagine this must have been covered somewhere, but does anyone have any suggestions for maximizing speed in After Effects with 3d objects created in photoshop. I am working 1080 HDTV timeline, and imported a 3d globe I made with bump, diffuse, and opacity textures and it is bogging down after effects like crazy! Like 2 to 5 minutes to render one frame at draft quality and quarter resolution ram preview with live update turned off.... and way to much of the spinning beach ball....I have an 8 core Mac Pro with 16GB ram! It is even to slow to open the photoshop file.... Also, when I render the image out I get a message in the Ram Preview box saying "Incompatible effect or expression. Multiprocessing is turned off".  Is there something in the Memory Management settings that I should alter. I am running off of a firewire 800 drive...If this is covered in another post somewhere and somebody can point me to it I apologize for the redundency.

• 1. Re: Optimizing Speed for 3d objects imported from Photoshop
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> does anyone have
          any suggestions for maximizing speed in After Effects with 3d objects
          created in photoshop. I am working 1080 HDTV timeline, and imported a
          3d globe I made with bump, diffuse, and opacity textures and it is
          bogging down after effects like crazy! Like 2 to 5 minutes to render
          one frame at draft quality and quarter resolution ram preview with live
          update turned off.... and way to much of the spinning beach ball....I
          have an 8 core Mac Pro with 16GB ram! It is even to slow to open the
          photoshop file....

This feature can take a lot of memory and be slow to render.

It sounds like you're already doing one of the things that I would suggest: setting the layer to Draft quality for previews.

You can do a few things on the Photoshop side to decrease the complexity of the 3D object for previews (basically making a proxy).

You mention having 16GB of RAM. Since After Effects CS4 is a 32-bit application, each process can only use a theoretical maximum of 4GB. (When you're using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing, each instance can use more, but that doesn't help in this case.)

> Also, when I render the image out I get a message in
          the Ram Preview box saying "Incompatible effect or expression.
          Multiprocessing is turned off".

See "When After Effects temporarily disables Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing" for an explanation of that message. You'll see that having a layer with a live Photoshop 3D object is one of the things that turns Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing off.

• 2. Re: Optimizing Speed for 3d objects imported from Photoshop
            cowboymustache Level 1

"Re:You can do a few things on the Photoshop side to decrease the complexity of the 3D object for previews (basically making a proxy)."

I imagine you mean setting the anti-aliasing settings on the 3d model to better or draft and playing with the different custom settings? So the live photoshop file in AE will remember the last setting used and saved with .psd file?

Also, will using a RAID drive or running on an internal hard drive increase performance at all? I am running on a Firewire 800 drive right now.

Thanks for you answers. Patience, Danielson....

• 3. Re: Optimizing Speed for 3d objects imported from Photoshop
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> "Re:You can do a few things on the Photoshop side to decrease the complexity of
              the 3D object for previews (basically making a proxy)."

> I imagine you mean setting the anti-aliasing settings on the 3d model to
              better or draft and playing with the different custom settings? So the
              live photoshop file in AE will remember the last setting used and saved
              with .psd file?

Yep.

> Also, will using a RAID drive or running on an internal hard drive increase
              performance at all? I am running on a Firewire 800 drive right now.

I don't now how much it's going to affect this specific case but, yes, I strongly recommend running everything always on fast local drives. That's pretty high up on my list of things to do to improve performance.

• 4. Re: Optimizing Speed for 3d objects imported from Photoshop
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I imagine you mean setting the anti-aliasing settings on the 3d model to better or draft and playing with the different custom settings? So the live photoshop file in AE will remember the last setting used and saved with .psd file?

Yes. To notably speed up things, use the standard shading mode and wireframes in favor of raytraced. Those modes are hardware-based in PS and while AE uses only their software-only equivalent, it's still a lot faster. Only switch to ray trace mode once you plan on doing the final render. Since AE will use the settings as stored in the PSD files, it will correctly update. For the rest - as Todd suggested, fast drives never hurt. At this point, the available processor power on a multicore system far outstrips the disk I/O performance, so anything you do to make reading and writing files faster, will pay off notably. Also due to how PS embeds 3D items as uncompressed U3D data and also embeds any textures in the PSD as smart objects, files can become notably large. Thus it is even more enjoyable to work with faster disks from an PS point of view.

Mylenium