26 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2010 6:14 AM by Steve Grisetti

New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.

Chad Baker Adobe Employee

For Nvidia users, there is a driver update that will fix both of the following issues:

• Premiere Elements 8 does not restart after closing on Windows
      • Frequent and inexplicable crashes with Premiere Elements 8

To resolve these issues, you should update your GPU (graphics card) driver to version 195.81 or higher by following the steps below.

1.      Identify which GPU driver you have by right clicking on the Desktop > Properties > Settings and in the Display field it will be displayed.

2.      Go to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and download driver for your GPU card. Its size varies from 80 to 120MB depending upon the GPU card model.

3.      After the download is complete, run the driver install Installation. This should take less than 2 minutes.

There are no known issues that the latest driver update will cause.

***If the update steps shown above do not upgrade your system to version 195.81 or higher, then you may need to download the driver directly. Use the link below only if the steps above do not update your driver to 195.81 or higher. The download page for Vista and Windows 7 is located here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_195.81_beta.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_195.81_beta.html

• 1. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
          ruffhouseutah Level 1

Followed your instructions, but processes sometimes continue to run after exiting Elements, at least for me. It's not all the time, but if I forget to check the Task Manager and shut it down, the next time I try to get in it just hangs.

Could be because I'm on Win 7 64-bit, though... when will a 64-bit version of PE come out, like CS4?

• 2. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.

Could you verify which version of the Nvidia driver is showing in your 

display properties?

• 3. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Chad,

Thank you for posting this. Berthold from nVidia had posted similar, so the issues are definitely being worked on by nVidia. This is always a good sign for me.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 4. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                ruffhouseutah Level 1

Yes, after the update the version is 195.62.

My card is a 9600 GT, running on Win 7 64-bit.

• 5. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.

The driver version that Nvidia recommends for these issues is located here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_195.81_beta.html

You want version 195.81 or higher.

• 6. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.

If you're still having problems with improper shutdown after updating to the 195.81 driver, please let us know specifically which process(s) are still showing in the Task Manager (eg. AdobePremiereElements.exe, Auto Analyzer or Sync Agent, etc.).

• 7. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                      ruffhouseutah Level 1

Chad, are you recommending that I install the 32-bit driver even though I'm running 64-bit Windows 7?

I double-checked that I'm installing the correct driver for my OS... are you 100% sure?

• 8. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.

No, please don't do that.

I've included a link up at the top for 64 bit OSes.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

• 9. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                          ruffhouseutah Level 1

OK, I've downloaded and installed the beta driver (195.81) and will let you know how it goes...

Also, I noticed the message you put at the top of the forums announcing it, but the link you provided takes me to the 195.62 version, which you said is not the right one to fix the problem... might want to fix that so people don't download and install one that won't fix the problem.

• 10. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                            NinaBarley Level 1

We were on the verge of buying Adobe Premiere 8 for our 17 year old daughter to run on her 64-bit Vista PC

when we ran across a stack of complaints about Premiere 8 not running correctly on

64-bit systems.  We think we'll either wait or go with a 64-bit compatible software, but usually we love Adobe products.  Any word on when Adobe is going to get on the 64-bit bandwagon?  I know from my research that I'm not the only one who wants to know.

• 11. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Any word on when Adobe is going to get on the 64-bit bandwagon?

PrPro CS5 will be full 64-bit only. There is no release date on it yet, but guesses are for 2 Qtr. 2010, about the time of NAB. If that comes to pass, I would then guess that next year's PrE (usually around Sept/Oct) would have 64-bit support, though there are not even any rumors on whether it, like its "big brother" PrPro, will be 64-bit ONLY, or if it will be in a dual OS version, like Photoshop currently is. With a much broader install-base, PrE has more to consider, than PrPro does, with regards to OS versions that need to be supported - regardless, a likely guess would be Sept/Oct, 2010 for something 64-bit for PrE.

Also, one of the biggest problems when running PrE 8 (or earlier) on a 64-bit OS is the state of the 54-bit drivers. MS (and 3rd party vendors) are working fast to get these done and out, so the problems should begin to fade as these make their way through the pipeline.

Times are rough right now, as there are three popular OS's in use for the PC, and two come in both flavors, 32-bit and 64-bit. You've still got a lot of PC's running XP, as many did not feel comfortable with Vista. You've got two flavors of Vista, and now two flavors of Win7. There are a lot of differences between all of those, so software companies, and driver suppliers have almost triple work. As Win7 takes over the market, I'd expect a lot of XP-users to leapfrog Vista, and Vista users to adopt Win7.

Good luck in your decision, and sorry that my timelines are only guesses - no leaks on any of it just yet.

Hunt

• 12. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                miltmel2 Level 1

Chad:

After I first installed Pre 8.0 I wasn't able to get as far as the editing function before it crashed.

I then read in this FORUM about an update to NVIDIA video drivers. I installed the latest driver and was pleased

to have no more crashes at this point I am now able to do some editing. When I exit Pre 8.0 it leaves the screen

as it should but is still evident that is still running in the background. In order to use the program again I have to

Shut down the computer and reboot.This later version of the nvidia driver, 195.81 seems to

be for VISTA or W7 operating systems. My OS is Xp. Can it use this update to 195.81 or do I have to wait for

the XP version? I'm now using Ver. 195.62. Thanks,  Mel

• 13. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                  Baron_PI Level 1

I seem to have this driver problem and PE does give me some error message concerning the graphics card, but only with newer drivers. I have a GTX 295. I also experience that the program isn't started as I press New Project in the launcher (but I'll then have the processes Adobe Premiere 8.0.exe and Adobe Premiere.exe running).

The nvidia driver Win7 Ultimate 64 choses after clean install does not produce the error message (an event in PE). However, 190.62, 195.62 and the beta 195.81 do. I've attached a screen shot showing the message (in swedish). Unfortunately I can't read the whole error message as I'm unable to scroll or copy the message. In english it would read something like:

"Viewing performance will be bad because the graphics card..." and there it ends, unable to read more of it...

Also, if i uninstall the video driver (remove the graphics adapter in Windows Device Manager) OR inactivate GPU and then start PE, the error message isn't shown.

I have read some forum posts and tried with disabling thread optimization of the graphics card through the nvidia control panel, but it didn't make any difference. I've also tried running PE in compatibility mode for Vista 64 and Windows XP SP2, but alas it didn't make any difference neither.

I haven't really been using PE to any extent since it crashed really bad the first time I tried it with the 195.62 driver, and after startup Win7 (intel matrix) had to rebuild my raid 1 OS drives... which takes like 3 hours...

Do you know what that error message fully says? Should I just sit tight and await new nvidia drivers or do you have a clue what I could do to get rid of the problem?

Regards

---

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

12 GB RAM

GTX 295

• 14. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

We're seeing reports several times a day now of people having trouble running Premiere Elements 8 on the 64-bit version of Windows 7. This seems to be

related to the fact that Windows 7's 64-bit drivers are not yet completely compatible with 32-bit programs like Premiere Elements. This could be another instance of that.

• 15. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                      ruffhouseutah Level 1

I am also using Win 7 64-bit with PE8 and see the same error message, but Premiere seems to run just fine. It does crash from time to time, but I've come to expect that from using PrPro 1.0, 1.5, Encore 1.0, 1.5, etc.  I just make sure to save a lot.

I can say that PE8 is far more stable than the other Adobe products that I've used, though...

• 16. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                        SomeOtherBob Level 1

I was having crashes so I installed the new driver.  Crashes are gone (so far).

However, now a piece of video media (in a pre-existing project) displays with the red "media offline" error.  The thumbnail in the media listing in PE8 is correct.

I can see the video in file manager, and it plays fine from windows media player.

If I try to import it again, I get the error "The import reported a generic error".

Win7 64bit

PE8

Help!

• 17. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                          Ozpeter Level 1

Here on an XP Pro quad core system, the suggested Nvidia driver seems to fix the problem with leftover processes on exit.  I've not used it for long enough to comment on stability.  However, the problem with 1080i AVCHD files not playing properly remains.   In essence, PE7 is happy with 1080i files but takes a long time (sometimes forever) to load 720p files.  PE8 displays artifacts all over 1080i files but is happy to work with 720p files.  Perhaps PE9 will work with both...

• 18. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                            mnrenier Level 1

I cannot get my project to burn to dvd. It gets to 96% with a message: "device error - target device is not suitable for . . ."

Am using PE 8.0, Windows XP Pro SP3,.32 bit

I followed the forum's instructions and updated my nvidia driver.  Same message. Called Adobe tech support (when did that get outsourced?) and they told me to update my computer's firmware.  Did that on the Dell support site.  I also updated the dvd drive's firmware, with help from Dell technical support. They also deleted some filters in my registry that may be interfering with the burn process. After rebooting, I tried the burn again, and it failed. Different error message though, this time it just said, "Error."  It encodes but cannot burn.

Advice?

did not have this problem with PE 4.0.

• 19. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                              SnowSurf Level 1

Upgraded my NVidia driver to 195.81 today in the hope that it would stop the frequent PE8 crashes, but no joy.

(Device Manager confirms that the installed driver is 195.81)

I generally experience 3 to 4 crashes over a 2 hour editing session and am at the point where I save my work after every minor change in the event of another crash. Tedious..

Not sure if other users experience this as well but it will generally take a good 4-5 minutes for PE8 to load.

I also experience the issue where the Elements AutoAnalyser.exe is still running in Task Manager and chewing CPU usage after I re-boot.  Killing the process in Task Manager fixes the issue and CPU usage returns to normal.

Windows Vista 32 bit SP2

HP Pavilion DV6500

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5450 1.66GHz

2 Gig RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

• 20. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                                Russ Havens Level 1

After repeated crashes while attempting to simply capture video, I totally reinstalled Windows 7 including formatting the hard drive. Reinstalled my programs, including Premiere Elements 8 and Photoshop Elements 8. I got about 30 seconds of video captured, and it crashed again. My DV camcorder is a Panasonic PV-GS500.

I do have an Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT GPU, but I also have the most current driver (196.21) installed. My computer is a Dell Dimension 8400, but the GPU is new, as well as a new Western Digital 750 Gb hard drive, and 3 Gb RAM. I have no problems running any other programs on this machine.

This is extremely discouraging, to say the least. I like the editing features of PRE 8 and would like to continue using it, but apparently I cannot use it and will probably have to request a refund after 2 months of trying over and over with no success, as far as capturing video is concerned, even after reading the Forum online, and trying to correct the issue. If I have to capture my video using another program, it makes PRE 8 rather a waste of money, wouldn't you say?

Previously, I thought it might have been the fact that the Organizer was causing a problem (I also have Photoshop Elements 8) since it was loaded at every startup of either program with all my digital photos and videos showing in the media panel. That was why I reinstalled everything, this time avoiding any use of the Organizer to try and at least eliminate that as the possible culprit.

I also tried another video editing program recently, namely Cyberlink PowerDirector, and had no problem at all capturing video from my camcorder. This leads me to suspect the PRE 8 is definitely at fault. I wish this issue could be resolved, as I like the various PRE 8 features, but if I can't resolve it very soon I'm going to permanently remove it.

Is there any definite resolution or a potential fix coming soon?

• 21. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                                  nealeh Level 5

There is an 8.0.1 patch file released yesterday.  Premiere Elements 8.0.1 patch available through Adobe Update Manager.Try that and see if you have any improvement.

Cheers,
                                                  --
                                                  Neale
                                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 22. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                                    Russ Havens Level 1

Thanks for the info about the PRE 8.0.1 update! I downloaded and installed it from the "Help" menu, and it appears to have solved my video capture problem. I was able to capture a 40 minute DV from my camcorder without a hitch -- finally! I struggled for weeks trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, installing, uninstalling, and even reinstalled Windows 7 and all my programs, and it turns out it wasn't me at all, for a change.

• 23. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                                      nealeh Level 5

Hurrah! Glad it worked for you, and thanks for sharing - it's about time we had some good news for PRE8.

Cheers,
                                                      --
                                                      Neale
                                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 24. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                                        jahmanwife Level 1

I hope someone can help me in here.  I have a Hp Pavillion dv7-2185dx, Vista Home Premium with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 updated driver and have been trying to use the Premiere Element 8 program for 2 months with out being able to produce an end product.  The camera is a Sony DCR-DVD650.  It's called a Hybrid but not HD.

The software freezes when editing clips or moving too quickly from 1 field to another.  I have to go to the task manager to close the program.  I get blue screen crashes that say something like atikmdag - non page fault error that reboots the system.  I did complete a video set finally and tried to burn it to a DVD but get a message Transcoder error.

Have reported this to Adobe Tech Support who walked me through the typical adjustments recommended -- that did not work.

Spoke with HP who walked me through a system restore.  We re-loaded the software and it crashes or freezes.

Somehow got to bring in the video I'm trying to edit this morning and got it to a point i thought I'd save it to a DVD just to see how things were looking.  I did have a couple of frozen screens again when editing things ahd had successful project saves to the hd along the way.  But when I tried to save it to the dvd I'm alerted the files are corrupt.  Tried to pull them off the original card and they are corrupt too.  These were never even in the mix of work I 've been doing so not sure how that has happened or if this message is correct.  I was able to watch them on Windows Media Player.

Decided to remove the program and tryout the Pro series to see if I could get some work accomplished.  I get the corrupt message on this too.

I must say this is a bit insane.  I've never had this kind of trouble  with software and am very dissapointed, frustrated and at odds with what to do at this point.  Video editing is new to me so trying to learn the program, edit a quality end product while having these problems has not been pleasant.   I have customers waiting for this video and it was suppose to be introduced tomorrow at an event.  Now, I have nothing to show for the hours of work & troubleshooting which has shown no rewards.

Are you able to help me get this taken care of quickly?  I have another event withint a week which I'd like prepare this video to present for sale.

Thank you,

Linda

• 25. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                                          Russ Havens Level 1

I don't know if I can help, Linda, but will suggest a couple things you may want to try. Usually after software crashes, files are left behind that can cause subsequent problems. There is an excellent, free utility you can download, install and use that clears out various temporary files and other junk left from such incidents. It's called CCleaner. You can read all about it and how it works, as well as download it, at their Web site: http://www.ccleaner.com/ Of course, there are other similar utilities available for cleaning up leftover junk that accummlates after crashes. If you already have such a program, run it.

Furthermore, be sure you have the most recent update 8.0.1 for Premiere Elements 8. It was released less than a month ago, and it cures several problems. You can check that by simply starting the program, then click on "Help" and select the option to check for updates. My problems with the software and my camera were resolved by installing that update. Be sure you have it before going any further, once you get rid of any temporary or other types of junk files left from your crashes.

If you have an Nvidia video card installed in your computer, you should also get the driver update Nvidia provides, of course, which is the main thrust of this particular thread.

One final thought, all video editing consumes large amounts of memory and also uses disk space for what it refers to as "scratch files", so be sure you have the required RAM and available disk space on your computer. Check your system against the Premiere Elements system requirements if you haven't done that before to be sure your computer setup is adequate.

• 26. Re: New Nvidia driver to resolve crash/quit issues in Premiere Elements 8.
                                                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There also is a workflow for working with footage on a DVD camcorder. You must finalize the DVD, you must be using a DVD project preset in Premiere Elements and you must move the video files form the DVD to your computer in their native form, ideally using Premiere Elements.

We don't have enough information to know if you are doing this.

But if you'd like to work through it further, I'd recommend you start a new thread. This thread is already very old and I'm about to close it.

Besides, if you start a new topic, you question is more likely to get noticed!