4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2009 6:57 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Ai CS4 toolbar missing

j1bbone

My Illustrator CS4 toolbar went missing, along with workspace options, and options under the window menu. I feel like I just hit a wrong button, and can't get it back.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Ai CS4 toolbar missing
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Tab key?

This is for a Mac

But if you happen to be launching AI from what you think is an alias then you probably are trying to launch it from a duplicate of the application instead and which now resides outside the application folder.

What to do if this is the case first trash the duplicate (what you thught was the alias)

Then go back to the Illustrator folder and this time hold both the option and command keys down when you drag to make the alias.

What probably happened before is that you only held the option key down when dragging the application icon that ony makes a copy and nt an alias yu need to hold both the command and option keys.

This is for a Mac

Now the next time you see a warning stating that the application has been moved and it needs t be reair yu will better understand that you made a copy by a slight of hand.

Now if you are not trying to launch from an alias.

Trash the Adobe Illustrator Settings Folder in your users preferences Users/Username/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS4 Settings Folder

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Ai CS4 toolbar missing
            j1bbone Level 1

Thanks for your help, Wade. I think you hit it on the head, I do remember trying to copy it to the dock. But I did what you said, and it still hasn't shown the toolbar, etc. I tried opening it straight from the applications folder. Do I need to reinstall the program?

• 3. Re: Ai CS4 toolbar missing
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

j1bbone,

It may be time for a more thorough preference cleanup, namely to Move the folder

• 4. Re: Ai CS4 toolbar missing
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Jacob Bugge wrote:

j1bbone,

It may be time for a more thorough preference cleanup, namely to Move the folder

He is on a Mac as he tried to copy to the dock.

Try this create a new user account then log into the user account and do nothing but launch Illustrator.

If the tool bar is there and the menu is correct then all i fin.

But lunch Illustrator from the application icon in the Adobe Illustrator Application folder do not make an icon in the doc
                or alias on the desktop.