12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2009 1:45 PM by the_wine_snob

What should be simple questions...

shmacee

I'm making a slideshow. I'm trying to edit it.  I seem to have  gotten the photos linked to the audio in such a way that if I add photos there is no sound attached to the new photos.  There's just a blank spot.  Any hints?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: What should be simple questions...
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What is happening when you add a new image is that you are getting a Ripple Edit. Probably the best thing to do would be to remove your Soundtrack from the Audio Track, where it's now located, do your SlideShow edit and then replace the Audio.

Usually, Audio is the last thing to be added to a Project. If you an Insert Edit, that will keep your Audio Track intact, you will replace your existing images, with the new one.

PrE does not allow one to Lock a Track, like PrPro does. That would be what you would want to do, regarding your existing Audio Track.

Maybe someone else will have a neat trick on keeping your Audio Track intact, but allow you to Ripple Edit your SlideShow. I also do not know how Photoshop Elements handles this. It might maintain the Audio Track.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: What should be simple questions...
            shmacee Level 1

Thanks so much, Hunt.  What do you mean by "If you an Insert Edit, that

will keep your Audio Track  intact, you will replace your existing images, with

the new one," below?  It think you're missing a key verb that sounds 

important.  Thanks.

Stacy

In a message dated 12/17/2009 3:42:14 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Welcome  to the forum.

What is happening when you add a new image is that  you are getting a

Ripple Edit. Probably the best thing to do would be to  remove your Soundtrack

from the Audio Track, where it's now located, do your  SlideShow edit and then

replace the Audio.

Usually, Audio is the  last thing to be added to a Project. If you an

Insert Edit, that will keep  your Audio Track intact, you will replace your

existing images, with the new  one.

PrE does not allow one to Lock a Track, like PrPro does.  That would be

what you would want to do, regarding your existing Audio  Track.

Maybe someone else will have a neat trick on keeping your  Audio Track

intact, but allow you to Ripple Edit your SlideShow. I also do not  know how

Photoshop Elements handles this. It might maintain the Audio  Track.

Good  luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: What should be simple questions...
              ruffhouseutah

Stacy, you might be able to drag with a right-click and choose Insert, thought I haven't tried it. I do know that you can cut or copy from one part of the timeline and choose Edit/Insert and it will move things out of the way for you, but I think it splits the audio like he said, but you can drag it right back into place and it will sound fine, even with the cut there. Best to do the audio last, like he said.

On another note... we just spent hours working on a slideshow for a HUGE Utah family Christmas party--17 families in all--and found the new "Create Slideshow" feature in the Organizer to be an AWESOME tool for whipping out each family's section. Pic duration, titling, transitions, pan and scan, and if you use the Quick Reorder button it'll give you a storyboard view of your slide show and you can drag them around to the order you want. It's WAY easier than doing all that manually on the timeline in PE.

What we did is create a different slideshow for each family, then click Export to PE, where the finished slideshow--pics, transitions, pan/scan and all--come onto the timeline as a single clip. Then we can use the sceneline or timeline to change the order of the families, add transitions between them, and add audio and begin/end titles last... turned out GREAT!

Finding your saved slideshows in the Organizer can be a bear, though, you have to go into the View menu, then media type, then make sure "projects" is selected and look for the little stack icon in the upper corner.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll never do a slideshow any other way...

• 4. Re: What should be simple questions...
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And, re Hunt's solution, you can also override the ripple function by holding down the Ctrl key as you add your clips to the timeline. When you don, your audio will not split as you add your photos.

• 5. Re: What should be simple questions...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

What do you mean by "If you an Insert Edit, that will keep your Audio Track  intact, you will replace your existing images, with the new one," below?

When editing, there are basically two type of insertions:

1.) Ripple - where you place a new Clip/image into an existing Timeline, populated with Clips/images without altering the existing Assets, other than with regard to their placement on the Timeline. With this, when you place your new Asset at a point on the Timeline, all following Assets move to the right to accommodate it, however long it is. Let's take a 05 sec. still. All of the existing Assets to the right of the edit point will move to the right 05 sec. and your new Asset will drop into this 05 sec. "hole." If your Clips have linked Audio, this works fine, as the Audio for your new Asset goes to a 05 sec. spot on the Audio Track too. This is basically what is happening to you, except that your new Asset does not have Audio, and the only Audio that you have is a single music Soundtrack. You end up with the music Soundtrack with a 05 sec. of silence. Now, one method would be to then Select (click, or Alt-click if the Audio is linked to the Video Clips above) the broken piece of Audio (the one to the right of the new 05 sec. of silence) and drag it back to the left to close that 05 sec. gap. Just because the single Audio Soundtrack has been "broken" is not an issue, if you drag this back to butt it up to the first piece of the Soundtrack. This method keeps the Duration and placement of all existing Assets intact. This is the default behavior of adding an Asset to a previously populated Timeline.

2.) Insert - where you place a new Clip/image into an existing Timeline, populated with Clips/images, but you are keeping most of the Assets in their exact location, BUT where you place this new Asset, the existing Assets will be shortened to allow for the new Asset. The two on either side of the edit point will be altered to accommodate your new Asset. If the edit point is in the middle of a single Asset, it will be broken and the two resulting pieces will be shortened to fit the new Asset. This is accomplished by using the Ctrl modifier key. If your Asset had Audio attached to it, its Audio would replace that Duration of Audio on the Soundtrack. With no Audio, the Soundtrack will be unaltered.

Now, you could also do a little additional work, to accommodate the new Asset. Let's say that it's a 05 sec. still image. Move the CTI to where you want the new image placed. Lasso (click-drag the cursor) all remaining Clips/images. Now, drag those to the right, by 05 sec. (150 Frames @ 30 fps) to create a gap of 05 sec. Do NOT lasso anything on the Soundtrack. It will remain intact, and you just drag, from the Project Panel, the new 05 sec. still image into that created gap. If you have more to add, just lasso the following Assets to the right of the CTI from the new point of insertion and repeat.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: What should be simple questions...
                    shmacee Level 1

Thanks for your reply.  I'm very excited to try the "Create Slideshow" feature, but why in the heck can't I find it?  Where is it located in the program? Thanks.

• 7. Re: What should be simple questions...
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I believe that Create SlideShow is a feature in PSE. Now, I do not have that program, just the full Photoshop, which does not have such, so I cannot tell you where it's located in PSE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: What should be simple questions...
                        shmacee Level 1

Thanks.  Now I know I'm not crazy. What a help!  I  found it in PSE 7.0.

I'm assuming I can then export to Premiere  Elements to do a final edit?

In a message dated 12/19/2009 11:58:13 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

I  believe that Create SlideShow is a feature in PSE. Now, I do not have

that  program, just the full Photoshop, which does not have such, so I cannot

tell  you where it's located in PSE.

Good  luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: What should be simple questions...
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are two ways to Export a SlideShow from PSE: one is as a direct Export for PrE, and the other is to Export as a WMV file. The beauty of the first method is that this file (cannot tell you the file extension - sorry) can be brought into PrE "Broken Apart," and then have Titles, AV material, etc., added, and there is no compression. With the latter, you can edit, but not so easily, and going to WMV will compress the material. If you then go to DVD-Video, you will compress once more.

What I do not know is the exact mechanics of transporting your SlideShow from PSE to PrE, and whether one needs the same versions of the two programs. On the latter, I do not think so, but that you only have to have each program installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: What should be simple questions...
                            shmacee Level 1

Thanks.  You're an incredible help!

Stacy

In a message dated 12/19/2009 12:28:46 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

There  are two ways to Export a SlideShow from PSE: one is as a direct

Export for  PrE, and the other is to Export as a WMV file. The beauty of the

first method  is that this file (cannot tell you the file extension - sorry)

can be brought  into PrE "Broken Apart," and then have Titles, AV material,

etc., added, and  there is no compression. With the latter, you can edit, but

not so easily, and  going to WMV will compress the material. If you then go

to DVD-Video, you will  compress once more.

What I do not know is the exact mechanics of  transporting your SlideShow

from PSE to PrE, and whether one needs the same  versions of the two

programs. On the latter, I do not think so, but that you  only have to have each

program installed.

Good  luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: What should be simple questions...
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Stacy,

That is what we try to do - help other users.

I do wish that I knew more about PSE, but have never owned it. Now, our very own Steve Grisetti has a recently released book on PSE/PrE. I'm in the middle of reading my copy now. All of his books are excellent, and I strongly recommend his PrE books. As there is no manual (only the Help files) for the program, he fills a great need, and also covers a great deal of general video and editing info. His books can be found HERE.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 12. Re: What should be simple questions...
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Stacy,

While looking for something else, I came across this ARTICLE by A T Romano, on breaking apart a SlideShow from PSE in PrE. Maybe something in it will be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt