3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2009 3:57 PM by heathrowe

Reshaping a mask

A very long time ago I used a program called Micrografx Picture Publisher 8 in which you had the capability to lay down a mask and then use a reshaping tool (much like the freeform tool in Fireworks) to nudge the boundaries of the mask into tight and exacting areas. Is there a way to do that in Macromedia Fireworks MX Addition? If not is that functionality available in any of the Fireworks and Flash software to date? Thank you for any help.

• 1. Re: Reshaping a mask
          JoyceEvans Level 3

I'm not sure how that programs works but... If the mask is a vector object you can select it using the subselection tool and then edit/move the individual points. It's how I tighten up a selection made using the Pen tool.

• 2. Re: Reshaping a mask
            pixlor Level 4

Just to add.... The pen tool also has a Redraw Vector Path tool under the little triangle. It's kind of tricky to use, but it does work. It helps to zoom in. Select the object you want to modify, then select the Redraw Vector Path tool. Move the tool over the path to modify. When the cursor changes the path to red, you can redraw the path. I'm not sure, but it seems to help if you start your redrawing on a node.

If you're not familiar with Masks in Fireworks, they can be vector objects or bitmap objects. Where the object is white, the underlying masked object will be fully opaque (visible). Where the mask is black or transparent, the masked object will be transparent. Where the mask is grey or semi-transparent, the masked object will be proportionally semi-transparent. To apply a mask, select both objects, the Modify > Mask > Group as Mask.

• 3. Re: Reshaping a mask
              heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

I am not sure how far back Auto Shape Tools go, but they can be used as Masks

as well.

Place the Auto Shape above the Layer you plan to Group As Mask.

Select both of them, then Modify > Mask > Group As Mask.

This allows you to use the individual 'achor' points on the mask to redefine it.