8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2008 9:56 AM by Newsgroup_User

default.css ...messing with me

raquii Level 1
      Well, still new at this...
      I made another template identicle to this one

http://intensittv.com

then went back to this and found that this whole default.css file is the reason it's making me have to go back and start all over again... and then, it screws with the new template on the photo page all over again.
      i don't know what to do.
        • 1. Re: default.css ...messing with me
          Level 7
          > i don't know what to do.
          Clearly state the problem so we know what you want.

--

Walt

"raquii" <raquii1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
          news:g2prq7$hoc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Well, still new at this...
          > I made another template identicle to this one
          >
          > http://intensittv.com
          >
          > then wwent back to this and found that this whole default.css file is the
          > reason it's making me have to go back and start all over again... and
          > then, it
          > screws with the new template on the photo page all over again.
          > i don't know what to do.
          >

• 2. Re: default.css ...messing with me
            raquii Level 1
            well walt,
            basically what i stated above.
            i don't understand how the defualt.css is able to stand alone for all my pages at intensitytv.com. that's exsactly what it's doing.
            i have a page done for the index.html and now one for the photo page (gallery.html) when i went back to make additions to my index.html, it was all screwed up. it looked similar to how i left the gallery.html. then i noticed, there's this default.css file. it keeps popping up as a back up tab on it's own. i never summon it. it seems that this is an essential file and has to be up while i'm working on a file (index.html, gallery.html, whatever) and it's only one. i don't see one for just the index.html and a separate one for the gallery.html, and so on.... it's just one.
            do i have to have a separate folder for each .html page i work on so that this auto default.css can separate itself?
            how does this work.
            it's messing up my work. it's making me start all my pages all over again all the time. it makes no sence.
            • 3. Re: default.css ...messing with me
              Level 7
              >>it makes no sence

Actually, sorry to say, your message is what makes no sense. There is no
              "automatic" CSS files. DW doesn't just attach CSS files on its own. I have
              no idea what, "it keeps popping up as a back up tab on it's
              > own" means.

The default.css file you refer to has an invalid link (<link
              href="file:///C|/IntensiT/eclipse template backup/eclipse/default.css"
              rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
              ) so it can't be affecting the page display. Based on that link it looks
              like you didn't define your site correctly in DW.

You have a lot of code errors. They may be part of your problem:
              http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fintensittv.com%2F
              --

Walt

news:g2q3sv$pj5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > well walt,
              > basically what i stated above.
              > i don't understand how the defualt.css is able to stand alone for all my
              > pages
              > at intensitytv.com. that's exsactly what it's doing.
              > i have a page done for the index.html and now one for the photo page
              > (gallery.html) when i went back to make additions to my index.html, it was
              > all
              > screwed up. it looked similar to how i left the gallery.html. then i
              > noticed,
              > there's this default.css file. it keeps popping up as a back up tab on
              > it's
              > own. i never summon it. it seems that this is an essential file and has to
              > be
              > up while i'm working on a file (index.html, gallery.html, whatever) and
              > it's
              > only one. i don't see one for just the index.html and a separate one for
              > the
              > gallery.html, and so on.... it's just one.
              > do i have to have a separate folder for each .html page i work on so that
              > this
              > auto default.css can separate itself?
              > how does this work.
              > it's messing up my work. it's making me start all my pages all over again
              > all
              > the time. it makes no sence.
              >

• 4. default.css ...messing with me
                raquii Level 1
                is it required that every page i design in dreamweaver has to have a default.css?
                it sounds like this file is not necessary.
                if it not, then is it safe to go ahead and delete it out of my host/server's folder?
                • 5. default.css ...messing with me
                  raquii Level 1
                  also...
                  i didn't see my flash banner above nor the video in the left column either. however, that's how it was in the beginning when that bothersome css file was there.
                  i deleted the troublesome default.css file and it seems it really isn't necessary. with the html file alone, i was able to get my banner and video back. found some mistakes on my own.
                  thank you Walt for that link, but that didn't solve the problem.
                  but...
                  i checked on my other computer hooked to the internet and it doesn't even show the black background, and everything is scattered all over going downward!
                  what happenned to all my div's and tables?

i'll try and put that dang css file back.
                  • 6. Re: default.css ...messing with me
                    Level 7
                    raquii wrote:
                    > well, i'm still in the same situation.
                    > i deleted the troublesome default.css file
                    > i don't see my flash banner above nor the video in the left column either.
                    > however, that's how it was in the beginning when that bothersome css file was
                    > there.
                    > worse then that, i checked on my other computer hooked to the internet and it
                    > doesn't even show the black background, and everything is scattered all over
                    > downward.
                    > what happenned to all my work?
                    >

You deleted the CSS file that styles ALL the pages that its linked on.

Do your self a favour and close Dreamweaver, pop to the library and get
                    a book about HTML & CSS, once you understand the basics Dreamweaver will
                    make sense, and your life will be much less complicated.

Steve
                    • 7. default.css ...messing with me
                      raquii Level 1
                      i already have a book on html and css dooza. it didn't help. thank you anyhow.
                      i appreciate the responses here, but what i'm hoping for is someone to give me a quick answer.
                      i have the css file back up.
                      should i rename it from default.css to intensit.css ?
                      • 8. Re: default.css ...messing with me
                        Level 7
                        >>what i'm looking for is someone to give me a quick answer.

OK, here's a quick answer:

THERE IS NO QUICK ANSWER

Your problem stems from a lack of understanding of the confluence of HTML &
                        CSS. Understanding does not come quickly. Step back and invest the time and
                        effort to learn and understand how web pages work.

--

Walt

news:g2rha7$fcl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >i already have a book on html and css dooza so thank you.
                        > i appreciate the responses here, but what i'm looking for is someone to
                        > give
                        > me a quick answer.
                        > i have the css file back up.
                        > should i rename it from default.css to intensit.css ?
                        >
                        >