7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2009 11:58 AM by the_wine_snob

How do I get a file back to Write?

zjimbo Level 1

Hello again: I was working with my audio as you may know and all was going well. Then I decided to reduce the hum and also work with the noise using the Stereo Audio Effects. All of a sudden Premiere CS4 stopped running. When I went to reopen it there was a message telling me Premiere shut down unexpectedly, they would try to save my project.

When it did open, I went to save and I got this message under: Project Save Error: "Could not open the project file with write access. The file may be locked or you may not have permission to write to this location. Select 'Save As' from the file menu to save the project to a new location."

I did this and the another message come up that says: "The file is set to read only. Try again with a different file name."

Currently I am not able to save my work, but I can same a Copy; go figure????.

For once I did not do anything wrong and Poo-of it went away.

Please show and tell me how to get the file to a 'Write Mode'.

Thanks again

• 1. Re: How do I get a file back to Write?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Log in as administrator and set access rights to full on all of your disks.

• 2. Re: How do I get a file back to Write?
            zjimbo Level 1

I have looked and looked and I can't see how to 'Log in as Administrator'.

• 3. Re: How do I get a file back to Write?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

In that case ask your system administrator.

• 4. Re: How do I get a file back to Write?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Some of this will depend on your exact OS version, but when you go to Log-in, you will need to do so as an Administrator. Once in with that User Account, you can alter the rights for, say your regular Log-in.

Almost all Adobe programs want one to be Logged-in as an Administrator, not just with administrative rights. If you are not set up as an Administrator, all sorts of little security "glitches" can happen, especially with most Adobe programs.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

PS - though I leave the default Administrator account, I next set up my normal account as an Administrator too. In my case, I am the only user on all machines, with any Log-ins.

• 5. Re: How do I get a file back to Write?
                  zjimbo Level 1

Ok I'll see what I can do. I have vista 64 bit.

• 6. Re: How do I get a file back to Write?
                    zjimbo Level 1

OK...I tagged along and I did learn about the Administrator controls. I guess that is suppose to be 101 stuff.

But the problem turned out to have nothing to do with any of that stuff. The problem was I was in a "Recovery file". Once I backed out of that silly ol' file everything was working great.

Why didn't you guys catch that?

Just to let you know I am making a DVD about "How to Adjust and Set Up Your Guitar".

It is a very intense project with only one camera;.J & L cuts all over the place. I had to learn about the camera, lighting, video micing, various shots, and of course Premier.

I did not know anything at all when I got started. I had the wrong computer, so I upgraded it to three internal SATA HD's, a faster video card, and from CS2 to 3 and finally to 4. I went from XP 32 bit 2gb memory to Vista 64 bit and 8gb of memory.

I seem to have a lot of problems and I really do appreciate all of you guys and girls help. I am now concerned with it taking about 3 seconds to start each time I hit play on the TL. It really did slow down after I did the compressor and the dynamics effects.

It has been a while since I last defragmented, so that is my next move. I plan on doing that while my wife and I go see 'Avatar' at 3:30. I hear it was done on Adobe Premiere.

Thanks again, until next time.

• 7. Re: How do I get a file back to Write?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Glad that you got it sorted out. At least you learned about an Administrator account, so all was not lost!

Why didn't you guys catch that?

I do not think that I have ever run up against a Recovery File, or if I did, all worked fine and I paid too little attention to things. At least that's MY story, and I'm sticking to it...

I seem to have a lot of problems and I really do appreciate all of you guys and girls help

So long as you get what is needed from the program for your Project, all is good. We're here to try and help, and every success is very rewarding to us. Thanks for reporting and good luck,

Hunt