1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 18, 2009 4:47 PM by Rothrock

Fonts are slightly off position after upgrading to new Mac OS X Snow Leopard

JLernDesign

I just upgraded from a Macbook that was using OS X Tiger to a new Macbook with OS X Snow Leopard. Now, when I open my flash files on the new computer, they are rendering the fonts slightly differently and off position. I am using the same software (Flash CS4) and the same font library. Anyone ever encounter this problem? Is there a fix for this? Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: Fonts are slightly off position after upgrading to new Mac OS X Snow Leopard
          Rothrock Level 5

You are lucky they are only slightly off!

It seems that there is a serious problem with how the new Snow Leopard is reporting font metrics to all programs. Those from Adobe (particularily the ones for layout type like InDesign) seem to be the most affected.

I saw somewhere that it had something to do with some version of a Helvetica or HelveticaNeue font and that apple had give there font the same internal name as a different one and that was causing the problem. Some folks seem to suggest that replacing/removing the offending font worked. Others saw the problem mitigated, but not removed.

As far as I know the only solution is to go back to regular Leopard. But if you have a new machine that is most likely not possible.

Sorry.