5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2009 8:32 PM by the_wine_snob

File Organizing Help

scubatv

File Organizing Help

I have many GB of duplicated video clips that are spread out over several hard drives.

I need to pull everything back together and reduced the amount of duplicated files. I’ve used Ace Utilities to Find Duplicate Files and tried working with directories, but the task is huge.

Could anyone suggest a FILE MANAGER program that would find these duplicated files and directories and help me “merge” them or suggest a solution to this project?

I was thinking something like a dual screen that highlighted the duplicated files or even something with more features.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: File Organizing Help
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: File Organizing Help
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I'll add another, that has worked perfectly for me, and does not care what the file is named, it looks inside and picks up dupes, DupFinder.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: File Organizing Help
              scubatv Level 1

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm trying to figure out http://www.scootersoftware.com/ because it looks a bit like Norton Commander that I used in way distant past, but scooters appears to me as being much, more complicated.

Complicated is good, e.g. more features and configurations, but, I was hoping to have the program look at a single hard drive (later, compare HD's) and highlight all the duplicate files and/or directories.

Is that something I can learn here?

Is there a “how to thingy” at http://www.scootersoftware.com/, because I can't find a simple icon, "find duplicate files" in the program window.

I can find the duplicate files in other programs and open up the directories in which they are located and work like that, but I was hoping to see something side by side. Like a tree of the same HD with directories and duplicated files highlighted.

Thank you for your help and apologies for asking you to walk me through this.

Jon

• 4. Re: File Organizing Help
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Jon,

There is no easy single button "Find duplicates" in this program. It is more a manual labor by comparing individual directories. Like this:

19-12-2009 18-21-54.png

• 5. Re: File Organizing Help
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

That's one of the beautiful aspects of DupeFinder. You can run it on an entire HDD and it will give you a list of the files with all dupes below the first one encountered. You can then choose which ones to keep and delete the others. You can also do a global deletion of all dupes found, but I like to check each one out. By looking at the Path and also the names, I can decide which ones should be the "keepers."

Good luck,

Hunt