11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2010 2:28 PM by shooternz

Adobe Premire Pro or After Effects?

phnord

I'm looking to do a little bit of video editing / creation, and I'm not sure which to go for. I come from a mostly musical background, but as I do some film scoring and such I'd like something more sophisticated than iMovie or Quicktime to cut together video footage on my Mac.

For instance, I would like to be able to capture multiple video clips from my iSight camera, and later tile them into one video against each other.

What program would be better for this kind of thing? As far as previous experience, I'm comfortable in almost all DAW's (REAPER being my favorite), Photoshop for image editing and Quicktime / iMovie for video editing

Thanks in advance - any advice is much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Adobe Premire Pro or After Effects?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

None of the above. Instead use any consumer program like iMovie, Magix or similar. The iSight is purely consumer class, use a consumer application. PR/AE is not suitable. EOS.

• 2. Re: Adobe Premire Pro or After Effects?
            phnord Level 1

Okay - then lets say the footage was capture with my Mini-DV cam.

My question isn't whether or not my hardware is up-to-snuff with the software.  My question is which program would be better for doing the kind of editing I'm looking for.

Here are features I would specifically be looking for:

- Project organization in a similar way that DAWs like REAPER or Digital Performer do for Audio (e.g. sequences, timelines, etc.)

- The ability to tile multiple videos into one (this is one of the features I can't find in other software I have on-hand, like iMovie)

- Optimally, something that can do video-capture as well as editing already-existing footage - from a Capture Device or an iSight camera

- Nice transitions, filters, titles and other post-processing effects would be nice

- Quick rendering and preview functionality

- An intuitive learning-curve, for someone fluent in DAWs, Photoshop, iMovie, and advanced computer / programming knowledge

Which Adobe product would be best suited for these purposes?  Or is there a different specific product that you think would suit my needs better?

• 3. Re: Adobe Premire Pro or After Effects?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Premiere Elements.

Premiere Pro is out because of the learning curve, AE is WAAYYY out because of the learning curve and the fact that it is a compositing tool, not an NLE.

• 4. Re: Adobe Premire Pro or After Effects?
                phnord Level 1

Unfortunately, Premiere Elements is not available for Mac - only Premiere Pro.

Any other suggestions?

• 5. Re: Adobe Premire Pro or After Effects?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Unfortunately, no. That is the drawback of being on a MAC when 90% is on a PC. Less choices and less help.

• 6. Re: Adobe Premire Pro or After Effects?
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes download Premiere Pro and see for yourself. If you master Photoshop you will have no trouble learning Premiere.

After Effects is somewhat different. Download the trial and watch some tutorials: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Adobe Premire Pro or After Effects?
                      phnord Level 1

Ann - thanks for the advice.  I think I might give the Premire Pro trial a go.  In fact, I'll probably go for a trial of each - I was just wondering for opinions here first, as 1 - 2 GB is a pretty hefty download if it turns out not to be what I'm looking for.

• 8. Re: Adobe Premire Pro or After Effects?
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

I agree with HARM.    Except Im not sure what you mean by Tile movies together.  Like the Brady Bunch?   I think imovie does have a limitation of doing just one PIP

You will find that the consumer applications like imovie or even Premiere Elements (PC only though) do better at what you want because they are tweaked to handle the consumer video formats, and PPRO is not.   Also, you will find a wider choice of transitions in consumer sw because pros rarely use transitions, so you will find pretty basic transitions only in PPRO.

You can make PPRO do what you want, but it is a steep learning curve, you might be disappointed in the lack of fancy transitions, and some consumer video formats may need to be converted to something Pr can more easily edit.

• 9. Re: Adobe Premire Pro or After Effects?
                          phnord Level 1

Yeah, I'm sort-of talking a little brady-bunchy.  Something like this video, for instance:

Or perhaps more like one of Jack Conte / Pomplamoose's "Video Songs":

Obviously, the latter is a bit more high-end than anything I'm likely to pull off with my video hardware.  Nonetheless, that's the general category I'm aiming for.

• 10. Re: Adobe Premire Pro or After Effects?
                            HindiMovies

Best For Little Editting And Big : Adobe Premire Pro

• 11. Re: Adobe Premire Pro or After Effects?
                              shooternz Level 6

I recommend  PPRO but advise that you post up your hardware specs first to see if your system will manage it.

Do not be put off by "the learning curve" factor.  (Everyone started somewhere and there aint many rocket scientists around here)