8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2015 12:06 PM by Lvexel

What is m2t.xmpses

MaineHomes

I tried rendering a video using the MPEG setting, using a preset of H.264 1080.  The resulting file was m2t.xmpses, which I am unfamiliar with and have not been able to really collect an usable info on.  Can someone explain what this is, and how it should be used.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: What is m2t.xmpses
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The .xmpses file is an instruction set, and is usually deleted, when the two elemental streams are muxed into one file. It appears that your Export did not complete. What happens with a muxed file, i.e. a single AV file with both Audio and Video is that both elemental streams are first created and then via the instructions, are assembled, muxed, into one file. If one watches Windows Explorer during the Export, they'll see the files being written, then muxed, and then the working files will be deleted. Something interrupted your Export.

Now, if you had chosen to NOT mux the file, whether deliberately, or accidentally, you would have had separate video and audio files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: What is m2t.xmpses
            MaineHomes Level 1

Thanks for this detailed response (by the way I'm having a glass of wine while I working on this!).  When I looked where I stored the video, there were indeed two files - one much larger than the other, both with this extension.

What would I have done to stop this "mux" process?  Is there something in the advanced settings that I might have changed or edited?

Or is there a functionality problem with my program.  I am using adobe premiere elements 4.

• 3. Re: What is m2t.xmpses
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure what stopped things. It could be something like not enough room on your HDD, or depending on the size of the Export file, could be a HDD formatted as FAT-32, and not NTSF.

Also, look at the Advanced area in your Share settings. in the middle of the dialog box are three tabs: Video, Audio and Multiplexer. You want TS. If none is selected (radio buttons), then you would end up with two files, plus the xmpses/xmp files with the instructions inside. What you should end up with is an m2ts file, which is muxed.

Let us know about the HDD's format and free space, plus the Multiplexer setting.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: What is m2t.xmpses
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I just did a test Share of a short Timeline, and ended up with with the .mt2 file. I did not see the instruction file, but did watch the AC3 and Mp4 file being written and then combined into the .m2t. Now, my test Project was a DV 4:3 (720 x 480) one, with appropriately sized Assets.

Hunt

• 5. Re: What is m2t.xmpses
                  MaineHomes Level 1

Thanks Hunt, I'll check out the setting you mentioned and let you know what I find out.  Much appreciated!  Happy Holidays.

• 6. Re: What is m2t.xmpses
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

And Happy Holidays to you. I hope that it's just the Multiplexer tab, as that would be very simple to correct. Also, do check your free space, as the working files can be a bit more than 2x larger than your finished file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: What is m2t.xmpses
                      harry_wg1234

I am sharing to mpeg2 1920x1080i 25 using premier 10. win 7

i end up with a m2t file with audio and video in the same file and a xmpses file.

the video file plays and sounds ok.

i have deleted the xmpses file and all seems to work. (I have looked at the contents using notepad, - nothing too surprising in it).

i have TS set in advanced settings.

when i watch the output folder during sharing thre are varius files creatred then dissapear (mergerd?) to leave me with the m2t file and the xmpses file.

do i need the xmpses file?

is it ok for me to delete it?

can i stop it being generated if it is not needed?

the resulting movie seems fine sound and vision present.

thanks

• 8. Re: What is m2t.xmpses
                        Lvexel

Exactly the same question. Movie is fine, do I need the xmpses file?