5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2008 5:34 AM by

Background Picture

johninbellingham
      Greetings;

To date, I've been helped 5 times with my 7 questions, so now I'm trying for 6. I am using Dreamweaver 8, and I have a pretty good after market book that's helped me a lot. But now I'm wanting to try something that the book doesn't address. Let's say that I place a picture of the city I live in, onto a blank page in Dreamweaver of course. In turn, I would like to place text over the picture, while keeping the picture kind of transparent. What features of Dreamweaver should I be studying to do such? Layers? And if I do accomplish what I'd like to do, will this slow down the loading of my web page all that much? Are there any good books that come to mind that I can check out?

Sincerely,
      Johninbellingham

• 1. Re: Background Picture
          Level 7
          Hi John,

I'd recommend CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) for that.
          Try seraching for "inserting a background image with CSS" in Google, I'm
          sure you'll find it easily.

The load time is really dependent on the file size of the image and a
          persons connection speed - I'd try to keep your background image under 100k,
          if possible, but keep in mind that most people have a broadband connection
          now. I don't worry about file size as much as I used to.

Nath.

"johninbellingham" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g37no3$2k0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Greetings;
          >
          > To date, I've been helped 5 times with my 7 questions, so now I'm trying
          > for
          > 6. I am using Dreamweaver 8, and I have a pretty good after market book
          > that's
          > helped me a lot. But now I'm wanting to try something that the book
          > doesn't
          > address. Let's say that I place a picture of the city I live in, onto a
          > blank
          > page in Dreamweaver of course. In turn, I would like to place text over
          > the
          > picture, while keeping the picture kind of transparent. What features of
          > Dreamweaver should I be studying to do such? Layers? And if I do
          > accomplish
          > what I'd like to do, will this slow down the loading of my web page all
          > that
          > much? Are there any good books that come to mind that I can check out?
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Johninbellingham
          >
          >
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Background Picture
            Level 7
            I'd also worry about what happens when your visitor's browser is displaying
            text larger than yours. Any alignment you have made will be broken.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"tradmusic.com" <sales@NOSHPAMtradmusic.com> wrote in message
            news:g3802g$cru$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi John,
            >
            > I'd recommend CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) for that.
            > Try seraching for "inserting a background image with CSS" in Google, I'm
            > sure you'll find it easily.
            >
            > The load time is really dependent on the file size of the image and a
            > persons connection speed - I'd try to keep your background image under
            > 100k, if possible, but keep in mind that most people have a broadband
            > connection now. I don't worry about file size as much as I used to.
            >
            > Nath.
            >
            > "johninbellingham" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            > news:g37no3$2k0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> Greetings;
            >>
            >> To date, I've been helped 5 times with my 7 questions, so now I'm trying
            >> for
            >> 6. I am using Dreamweaver 8, and I have a pretty good after market book
            >> that's
            >> helped me a lot. But now I'm wanting to try something that the book
            >> doesn't
            >> address. Let's say that I place a picture of the city I live in, onto a
            >> blank
            >> page in Dreamweaver of course. In turn, I would like to place text over
            >> the
            >> picture, while keeping the picture kind of transparent. What features of
            >> Dreamweaver should I be studying to do such? Layers? And if I do
            >> accomplish
            >> what I'd like to do, will this slow down the loading of my web page all
            >> that
            >> much? Are there any good books that come to mind that I can check out?
            >>
            >> Sincerely,
            >> Johninbellingham
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >
            >

• 3. Re: Background Picture
              Leigh_Hunter
              From a purely "what's quickest & simplest" perspective:

Take the opacity of your picture down in photoshop over whatever your bg colour is on your page and save that image as a jpg (optimised of course). Then just set that image as a background in a table cell and type right over it. N00b skillz ahoy :)
              • 4. Re: Background Picture
                johninbellingham Level 1
                Thank you very much "Nath," "Murry" and "Leigh" for your fast and good advice. I now have some direction to start with. And, for any other future suggestions on this topic, that would be more than welcome too.

Sincerely,
                Johninbellingham
                • 5. Re: Background Picture
                  take the image as a background in a table cell and type right over it but how ?