5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2009 3:31 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Selecting paths of a Live Traced object

Ricky-T Level 3

Hi, i'm sure i could do this before but for whatever reason it has stopped working. I have a black and white raster image, which i did a live trace too, which worked all well and good. But now when i want to go in and change the line-art produced by the tracing, it wont let me, it just keeps making the trace a big object that can only be moved around which im finding very frustrating.So how do i edit the fills created by a trace instead of just being able to move around the object as one large mass?

Also, another question, why is it that Illustrator is soo slow and closing, opening and saving documents compaired to somthing like Photoshop?

• 1. Re: Selecting paths of a Live Traced object
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I assume you have expanded the live trace and if so then you must have the bounding box hidden.\

ou probably inadvertently it Command Shift B so you hit it again

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Selecting paths of a Live Traced object
            Ricky-T Level 3

Hi, by expanded, do you mean double-clicked the object as like you would in Flash as well? So in the top left it says somthing along the lines of "Layer 1 > Trace" ? If so, then yes. Ctrl + Shift + b (PC), doesn't appear to be doing anything to it, and it still just has a bounding box around it and won't let me edit the actual fills of the image. I don't have much experience with ilustrator yet, i'm more of a pixel person still, but i am using it more and more often trying to slowy learn it and encorporate it into my work. It's just annoying when things like this happen. Thanks so far

• 3. Re: Selecting paths of a Live Traced object
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

No

Object>Live Trace>Expand as Viewed

This is not Flash and Illustrator does not work at all like flash so you will have to stop thinking that way or it will be very frustrating.

• 4. Re: Selecting paths of a Live Traced object
                Ricky-T Level 3

Ah right! YAY! Thanks very much That did the trick.

Yer i know, i'm not really looking at it like Flash, ists just i nocited when you double-click somthing it has that bar at the top of the image like flash does to tell you where you are in the image. I try to think of it more like Photoshop because thats what i have the most experience in, but i'm not so sure thats a good idea either...dispite the user interface tricking me into thinking they could be alike

Thanks so much i've been so frustrated at that today

• 5. Re: Selecting paths of a Live Traced object
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Double clicking on art will bring you into isolation mode and yes I thin that is something that they actually got from Flash what that does is allow you to work on a group or an object in a group without worrying about accidentally selecting or editing anything other than the group or an object in a group. Very handy when you have a complex art.

So you double click a group it will gray out all the art outside the group then if you double click on an object in the group it will grey out the rest of the group so you can concentrate on just the group. it also works with grouped of groups and so on.

1 person found this helpful